thePlenty.net Forums
Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) (/thread-151.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Farseer - Feb-15-2011

(Feb-15-2011, 10:26 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: There is one place that could compel the six duchies to wake them. Chalced.

Yes, something with Chalced is assured...if it is an awakening of the simulacra and/or even an alliance between dragons of stone and flesh, I guess we'll have to see! SO MANY possibilities...Yay

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - 'thul - Feb-15-2011

It would be quite enjoyable if Robin Hobb decided to let the Chalced states be humbled...

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Farseer - Jun-06-2011

Due to time constraints, my RotE re-read is progressing at an achingly slow pace. As such, I am still only sifting through AQ where I have come across a passage that chokes me up Crying every time I read it - the little ditty that begins Chapter Seven, 'Farrow'. I don't know why it affects me so much but it covers Patience's actions when she became known as "The Lady of Buckkeep"...another RotE example of a lesser proving their greatness in a small yet powerful way.

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - finella - Jun-09-2011

Oh, I remember far too well the first reading of the passage, when Nighteyes died. Although just everything indicated to it right from the beginning, I simply had a complete breakdown. I just couldn’t stop crying. And when I came to the part when Kettricken and Fitz grieved about him, the misery startet again. That was in a way even harder. When I made a re-read perhaps a year later, my reaction was completely the same, although I knew, what came. With every page I turned, my throat felt tighter and at least I melt in tears many pages before it happened.
I swear, I never felt so deeply touched by something written in a book !

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - ElminsterX2 - Jun-11-2011

A part that I've just reread that got me choked up and brought a tear to my eye was in FF when Fitz is going through his belongings and decides that he's going to give Dutiful Verity's sword. Dutiful looks at it and says this isn't right and races out of the room, Fitz is dismayed and wonders how he ever thought the boy could understand the gift. Then dutiful comes in all boyishly grinning from ear to ear and hands Fitz Chivalry's sword. Just gives me shivers thinking about it even now.

Of course Nighteyes dying always gets me, the dream sharing they have about Nighteyes running over the snow hunting a deer he knows he cannot bring down himself. Then Fitz wakes up and Nighteyes is still on his lap.

The moment that hit me the most was in FF when Burrich is so full of fury at the stone dragon threatening his son that he screams out in rage and repels it, and brings the dragon to its knees.

Those final few chapters of FF are so filled with emotion. Burrich dying, Fitz finding the Fool's body. Fitz finding out exactly how painful it was for the Fool to die. Fitz finding the flayed skin from the fools back and just leaving it in the ice, deciding that was never a part of him but something the Pale Woman had done to him. Fitz bringing the Fool back to life. Fitz finally meeting Nettle. Fitz getting back all of the memories he put into the stone dragon. When he finally drops all of his lies and tells Molly and her family who and what he is. So so much that just gets the emotions rolling.

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Farseer - Jun-12-2011

Well met and welcome, ElminsterX2! Slurp

(Jun-11-2011, 03:30 PM (UTC))ElminsterX2 Wrote: A part that I've just reread that got me choked up and brought a tear to my eye was in FF when Fitz is going through his belongings and decides that he's going to give Dutiful Verity's sword. Dutiful looks at it and says this isn't right and races out of the room, Fitz is dismayed and wonders how he ever thought the boy could understand the gift. Then dutiful comes in all boyishly grinning from ear to ear and hands Fitz Chivalry's sword. Just gives me shivers thinking about it even now.

This is a very special moment in the books for me also...just reading your post has got me tearing up! Crying There are so many things to be learned from this passage...

(Jun-11-2011, 03:30 PM (UTC))ElminsterX2 Wrote: So so much that just gets the emotions rolling.

Yes! No wonder we feel 'flat' when we finish, and just have to head back for more! Big Grin

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - finella - Jun-17-2011

Oh, there are masses of scenes in the books, where I either have to laugh or smile, chew on my fingernails, get goose pimples, a tight throat, tears in my eyes, etc.,. But I swear, I never had such a complete breakdown like I had in the scenes concerning nighteyes death. And thinking of it right now, here in my office, my throat again becomes very tight. I mean, after all, nighteyes is „only“ fiction, but I mourn over him, as if he was a beloved member of my own family. That is pure magic, isn’t it ?! Thankful

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Farseer - Jun-17-2011

Nighteyes isn't real? Blink Smiling

Definitely magic Magic , finella!

No matter how many times I read these books, they affect me as much (possibly even more as I am so familiar with the characters!) as when I read them the first time.

I get a tad weepy when Fitz helps Celerity during the fall of Bearns...that he was there to help her fight/save her life, despite not ever having loved her.

I can also identify with the frustration Fitz feels while being under the influence of Verity's Skill command...having to turn aside from his own wants and needs to silence that nagging inner voice that demands to be heard and won't cease until it has been heeded!

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - finella - Jun-20-2011

Well, I think, a re-read is urgently necessary. And then I will spam you will all the scenes, that touch me in one way or the other. So, I forwarn you ...PAngel.

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Apricot - Jun-23-2011

There are so many memorable parts these are just a few for me besides the obvious (Nighteyes dying etc)

When Dutiful visits Fitz in the tower room for the first time after Fitz's healing. Dutiful heats the meal up for him and they are talking about Patience. Choked me up but also made me happy that Dutiful finally knew who "Tom Badgerlock"  really was.

It was the same when Web revealed to Fitz that he was aware of his true identity. I gasp out loud and as that was at the beginning of FF I was doubly excited as I thought, bring it on this is going to be awesome. I wasn't disappointed I love that book. 

The first time Patience and Fitz meet in the garden made me giggle.

Another bit that struck me as funny on a re-read was at the end of the AQ when Fitz is imprinting the skill command on Regal to return to Buck and be loyal to Kettricken and the unborn Dutiful but stops short of having Regal erect a statue in his honour. I didn't pick it up the first read, I guess I was having difficulty seeing through the tears, those books a fairly heart retching the first time round.