thePlenty.net Forums
Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) (/thread-151.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - 'thul - Jun-23-2011

these beings have to make a guess... You have yet to read liveship/rain wild chronicles books, apricot?

These beings guess that based on you only mentioning events from farseer/tawny man.

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Apricot - Jun-23-2011

No I've read them too and SS I have just re read AQ and the TM series recently so they are freshest in my mind. I will re read DK and DH again before the next book comes out though.

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Farseer - Jun-24-2011

(Jun-23-2011, 04:43 PM (UTC))Apricot Wrote: When Dutiful visits Fitz in the tower room for the first time after Fitz's healing. Dutiful heats the meal up for him and they are talking about Patience. Choked me up but also made me happy that Dutiful finally knew who "Tom Badgerlock"  really was.

Yes! We can't help but share the 'I've been caught' feeling building inside Fitz, and I just wanted to hug Dutiful for how he managed the whole 'reveal' (not to mention the time when he immediately agreed to help Skill-heal Burrich). It's interesting that he is still not fully aware of who Fitz is, though I understand the reasons why this must be so. I doubt Dutiful will ever learn of "the secret" but I wonder how he would react if he ever DID find out. Being so linked via the Skill, it would be difficult for Fitz to keep that from Dutiful, and it's such a shame Crying that they can't share a complete, unencumbered relationship with each other such as Fitz eventually shares with Nettle. Of course, possibly the truth would create an even greater division between them...

Thinking of Nettle makes me think of the time when she first ran into Fitz outside the steams...a chuckle-worthy moment that one! Smiling

(Jun-23-2011, 04:43 PM (UTC))Apricot Wrote: It was the same when Web revealed to Fitz that he was aware of his true identity. I gasp out loud and as that was at the beginning of FF I was doubly excited as I thought, bring it on this is going to be awesome. I wasn't disappointed I love that book. 

Me too! Web's acknowledgement of Fitz after releasing Icefyre was special as well...a bit of a nod that could have been a bow...very nice, not to mention goosebumpy.

I felt much the same way when Longwick announced that many men would hold their tongues about Tom Badgerlock's identity merely at 'Lord FitzChivalry's' request, rather than Prince Dutiful's.

(Jun-23-2011, 04:43 PM (UTC))Apricot Wrote: The first time Patience and Fitz meet in the garden made me giggle.

Oh, poor Fitz. 22 Hmm...actually, the last time they met each other in a garden was funny also! Big Grin

(Jun-23-2011, 04:43 PM (UTC))Apricot Wrote: Another bit that struck me as funny on a re-read was at the end of the AQ when Fitz is imprinting the skill command on Regal to return to Buck and be loyal to Kettricken and the unborn Dutiful but stops short of having Regal erect a statue in his honour.

To extend the quote you posted on the Favourite Character thread, this was one of those moments when I went "Oh Fitz, why NOT??" P

See, finella, I'm quite happy to scene spam in return!

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - 'thul - Jun-24-2011

These beings consider every time those two (patience/fitz) meet to be generally somewhat funny... They have a theory that RH designed lady patience mainly to poke a stab at high fantasy having stereotypical ladies only...

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - finella - Jun-24-2011

(Jun-24-2011, 01:39 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: [See, finella, I'm quite happy to scene spam in return!

Slurp I hopefully will start re-read in August latest, in my holidays. I just can't decide, which one. I love them all so much Wub.

EDIT: finella, I just deleted the portion of your post that was pretty much a doubling up of the above. Farseer Smiling

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Omie - Jun-27-2011

I got a tiny bit misty-eyed at both Nighteyes' death and Fitz's retreaval of the Fool's body (especially where he's asking his friend whether he'd like to be burned beneath the stars... *sob*).

But the thing that got me most weepy in the books was actually Kettle's story about killing her twin, and when Fitz was skill linked with her and recalling two girls playing on a beach. Attribute to that the fact that I'm a twin (not by myself - there's another one) and the thought of my sister dying is just... actually, it's unthinkable.

For much the same reason I felt a bit of a pang when Nettle told Fitz that the twin Nim was going around 'like half a person'. I found it hard to like Swift after that (right up to the point where he shot Rawbread-as-Dragon). It was stated afterwards that they were dissimilar so maybe they weren't as close as me and my twin, but the thought of one twin leaving another heartbroken is fairly harsh to me. Besides, I see being a twin as a unique bond. If Swift bonds to another living thing, will that leave Nim as a twin 'bonded' to somebody who is bonded to somebody else? Poor Nimble! It's bad enough that his name is a brand of low calorie bread.

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - fool-ish - Jul-08-2011

Oh too many emotional moments right from the start!

I'd be here all night if I were to list them all. I do remember my first real upset...when young Fitz cried for hours in his bed when Chade 'fell out' with him. I honestly just wanted to grab him and hug him and make everything alright for him! Galen's violence, the fool's beating, Fitz's fits, Regal's dungeon, Nighteyes, Beloved (in all the books but especially Fool's Fate) And that's just a fraction of it!

On the upside..much humour came from the wonderful Lady Patience and Lacey, wolfy quips from Nighteyes and Jinna's cat, Fennel's obsession with fish and territory to mention but a few!

I loved these books and have never grown so attached to fictional characters before. Bring on Liveships! Wub

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Farseer - Jul-31-2011

(May-17-2010, 10:47 PM (UTC))Lord Punctual Wrote: I agree with the assessment of Kyle as actually pretty moderate by Chalcedean standards.

I am going back a long way to the first page of this thread...back to an old discussion on Kyle and his treatment of Wintrow, Althea, women in general etc. We've talked about him elsewhere, and also about the 'bad' people that seem to come out of Chalced, and thus a lot of what we have seen in Kyle's behaviour we've blamed on his Chalcedian upbringing.

It's interesting to note that while we consider the role of women to be far different in Bingtown and the Rain Wilds than in Chalced, such as being allowed to grow as an individual rather than just as an extension of a husband, given certain freedoms and rights to take on leadership/Trader roles etc, it has not always been this way.

For me, Jathan Carrock in 'Homecoming' shared many similarities to Kyle and he was from "Sa's own city", Jamaillia. He was an absolute pig in his treatment of Carillion, in my opinion. Even more, his sentiments regarding women were shared by many of the other men and nobles in the group of Rain Wild colonists.

At that time and place, women did not seem to even have a say, let alone possess anything like the power of a Trader's vote. I think one man even berated Carillion for showing anger or displeasure in a man's presence. Of course, this is not unlike our own history but that ones such as Retyo and even Tremartin are able to treat the women otherwise, well, it just goes to show that it is not so much the where/what/why/how/when of things that affect a person that is important but what the person chooses to do despite/or in the face of what affects them? Undecided

It's a little different possibly but I suddenly find myself thinking of Althea here. Despite what happened, she could find it in herself to allow Kennit's mother and Etta to mourn Kennit without interference, and yet Kyle could not bring himself to allow that to happen. If I had been Althea, I am fairly certain I'd have done quite a few things differently...for the worse! Smiling

Kennit also could have chosen a different path, despite what happened to him, but he chose not to. He was a Bingtown Trader's son and not from Chalced.

Of course, we have such ones as Hest as well, also a Bingtown Trader's son, despite his Chalcedian connections. He doesn't HAVE to be that way...he just chooses to do so.

Possibly the greatest example is the Satrap Cosgo himself. He is supposed to be "of Sa" and yet, on many levels, shows himself to be far 'less' than many of his subjects and others within the realm.

I don't really have a point to all of this P ...just that, again, it is my opinion that it is far too easy for certain ones to excuse their behaviour and blame it on upbringing, their nature etc rather than simply own up to what they do.

(Jun-27-2011, 10:09 AM (UTC))Omie Wrote: But the thing that got me most weepy in the books was actually Kettle's story about killing her twin, and when Fitz was skill linked with her and recalling two girls playing on a beach. Attribute to that the fact that I'm a twin (not by myself - there's another one) and the thought of my sister dying is just... actually, it's unthinkable.

For much the same reason I felt a bit of a pang when Nettle told Fitz that the twin Nim was going around 'like half a person'. I found it hard to like Swift after that (right up to the point where he shot Rawbread-as-Dragon). It was stated afterwards that they were dissimilar so maybe they weren't as close as me and my twin, but the thought of one twin leaving another heartbroken is fairly harsh to me. Besides, I see being a twin as a unique bond. If Swift bonds to another living thing, will that leave Nim as a twin 'bonded' to somebody who is bonded to somebody else? Poor Nimble! It's bad enough that his name is a brand of low calorie bread.

Never having been a twin Big Grin, these connections did not hit home for me until I read your post. Thanks for the insights, Omie!

It's an interesting point you raised re Swift's bonding. Surprising also that while Kettle (Kestral) and Gull were both Skilled, only Swift proved to be Witted.

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - fool-ish - Aug-03-2011

Sat in the garden today reading Golden Fool and on reading the 'Quarrel' chapter, I actually said aloud "Oh Fitz, shut up!" Not good I know, but it just came out unbidden. My husband and kids merely gave me a 'look' Blushing

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Farseer - Aug-03-2011

^ Big Grin Clapping