thePlenty.net Forums
Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) (/thread-151.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Clarity - Aug-14-2011

(Jul-08-2011, 12:05 AM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: Oh too many emotional moments right from the start!

I'd be here all night if I were to list them all. I do remember my first real upset...when young Fitz cried for hours in his bed when Chade 'fell out' with him. I honestly just wanted to grab him and hug him and make everything alright for him! Galen's violence, the fool's beating, Fitz's fits, Regal's dungeon, Nighteyes, Beloved (in all the books but especially Fool's Fate) And that's just a fraction of it!

On the upside..much humour came from the wonderful Lady Patience and Lacey, wolfy quips from Nighteyes and Jinna's cat, Fennel's obsession with fish and territory to mention but a few!

I loved these books and have never grown so attached to fictional characters before. Bring on Liveships! Wub
I feel the same about the characters, fool-ish.They are so well-crafted that they become "real" and that's why their stories capture our emotions. I have started re-reading them, have just finished the Assassin Trilogy which I loved even more this time around. Since it's been a while, each book is almost new to me - with half-memories floating there to find again. I can't wait to re-acquaint myself with everyone again.

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - fool-ish - Aug-14-2011

(Aug-14-2011, 08:54 AM (UTC))Clarity Wrote:
(Jul-08-2011, 12:05 AM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: Oh too many emotional moments right from the start!

I'd be here all night if I were to list them all. I do remember my first real upset...when young Fitz cried for hours in his bed when Chade 'fell out' with him. I honestly just wanted to grab him and hug him and make everything alright for him! Galen's violence, the fool's beating, Fitz's fits, Regal's dungeon, Nighteyes, Beloved (in all the books but especially Fool's Fate) And that's just a fraction of it!

On the upside..much humour came from the wonderful Lady Patience and Lacey, wolfy quips from Nighteyes and Jinna's cat, Fennel's obsession with fish and territory to mention but a few!

I loved these books and have never grown so attached to fictional characters before. Bring on Liveships! Wub

I feel the same about the characters, fool-ish.They are so well-crafted that they become "real" and that's why their stories capture our emotions. I have started re-reading them, have just finished the Assassin Trilogy which I loved even more this time around. Since it's been a while, each book is almost new to me - with half-memories floating there to find again. I can't wait to re-acquaint myself with everyone again.
I've enjoyed Assassin and Tawny Man much more than the first time around and find myself even more emotional, although, as the rest of my 'pack' don't understand how I can possibly become attached to fictional characters, I have to keep them in check to save face! My daughter, I think is more empathetic as she is a Harry Potter obsessive and adores those characters! Ah well, I'm nearing the end of Fool's Fate again and I think I should take myself off somewhere (like the bath!) to come over all emotional in peace! Smiling

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Valarya - Nov-28-2011

Alright, figured I'd chime in here and make a post strictly for the moments where I bawl my eyes out. I'm not talking about a gentle crying either... these are the moments that make me put the book down for a moment while I just sob and sob and sob. They all take place during Tawny Man..

• When Nighteyes dies, of course. The way they portray it w/ him just running off to hunt some deer... standing there at the top of the ridge the wind blowing his fur around, then Fitz wakes up and feels his hand still clinging to the fur beside him.

• When Kettriken and Fitz grieve over Nighteyes together.. and at first he's just holding her to his chest, stroking her hair and the next moment he realizes he's sitting in the chair just sobbing, Kettriken holding him to her breast. Sigh. That's a rough moment.

• Fitz acts like an idiotic man by bringing up the 'bedding' thing with Fool and you see how truly hurt Fool is... when he says he'll always be able to recall the horrible words spoken that night. Poor Fool Down

• The first time Swift comes to Buckkeep and Chade sends Fitz a message to be at the peephole outside the Queens chambers. And he sees Burrich walk in, and hears Burrich blame himself for Fitz's "death" and Fitz has to put a hand over his mouth so he doesn't make an audible sob as the tears pour down his cheek. Bless him.

• After Fitz is seduced by the Pale Woman, throws his Skill walls up, then notices Fool hung on the wall on the other side of the chamber.. and Fitz runs up to him and swears he's still his.

• As Fitz stumbles back to the camp on Aslevjal after the Pale Woman has released him... and he tumbles in to Burrich's arms after alllll those years. He recognizes the smell of Burrich and thinks to himself that he finally finally feels safe. And Burrich is there cooing at him, telling him it'll be OK.

• When Fitz is stumbling through the Pale Woman's stronghold carrying the dead Fool... gods that part is too hard. Even though I know what's coming next.

• As Fitz cleans Fools body for a pyre in the mountains, and calls him "FitzChivalry Farseer" (I always hoped he would call him that after he brought him back to life.. for Fool's ears to hear. Maybe if their 'good-bye' hadn't been so mangled. Sigh.)

• When Fitz is inside the Fool... and Fool is inside Fitz. The words they speak to one another there...

And the absolute BIGGEST sob moment of all the books combined:
  • When Fitz unwraps the Skill cube from the Fool.. and he sees him + Nighteyes, Fool + Nighteyes.. and the best/worst (omg I'm crying just typing this)....... his face as Fool sees it when their foreheads are touching.

To have to let the love of your life go like that... so he can have a happier life. What a hard thing to do, Fool. A hard thing to do. CryingCrying (Crikey I'm still crying.)

I've come to realize that all of my sobbing throughout the books has to do with things in-relations to Fitz. I find that interesting since Liveship is my favorite of the three. P

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Farseer - Nov-28-2011

Crying Valarya, I've got tears just from reading your post. Oh, my...

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - fool-ish - Nov-28-2011

In many ways it's a hard read. I had to stop reading at times to compose myself and I think I've mentioned on here previously, that at one point I got so cross with Fitz, I told him so out loud! Blink

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - finella - Dec-07-2011

Hello All of you,

sorry, that I didn’t write for quite some time, but I’m here every week and read together with you.

Puh, Valarya, sitting here in my office and reading your list, my throat is tight and I have tears in my eyes. Although my last reading of Tawny Man is some years ago, my feeling concerning many of the scenes you describe, are still so deep and overwhelming, as if it was yesterday. Specially the first two scenes are my most emotional ones: I simply love the way, Nighteyes leaves. So calm and with so much dignity - the dignity, he had his whole life. Although everything before led to that point, I was completey devastated and I had a crying fit.
The same happened to me in the second scene with Fitz and Kettriken. I had just calmed down, but then everything came up again. Specially this scene is so dear to me, because one can feel through every written word the pain and loss of both.
I still moan over Nighteyes Crying.

There are many other scenes, in which my eyes became wet, but those two scenes are my personal breakdowns.

And funny enough – although I like Liveships better, my feelings are more shaking concerning Fitz and the Fool. As it happened to Valarya.

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Farseer - Dec-08-2011

Another long drive yesterday and more to do today but at least my husband has been with me for the last couple of trips to break up the driving...usually it's just me behind the wheel! Sleeping

So, sometimes while he's been driving, I have been reading to him from Dragon Keeper (which he is up to in the series) and yesterday sobbed myself silly while trying to read through the part in DK where Thymara's father has to say goodbye to her. How brave of him, and loving, to let her go... Crying . Of course, my husband can't for the life of him see why I'd be crying over it... Big Grin

Curiously, I find that I tend to cry more often when I read aloud than I do when reading silently to myself...and that's saying something!

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Valarya - Dec-08-2011

(Dec-08-2011, 09:52 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Curiously, I find that I tend to cry more often when I read aloud than I do when reading silently to myself...and that's saying something!

This very same thing is the case with me, Farseer!

I've been reading the Harry Potter series aloud to my daughter for years, now . We're currently on Book 6 [Half-Blood Prince] and I find myself tearing up to SO many things. Places where I don't normally cry on my own re-reads. I don't know what's going to happen when I get to Book 7 and:
(Deathly Hallows spoilers below)

I won't be able to read, haha.

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - finella - Dec-09-2011

Perhaps it's just normal. I am the same. Perhaps the inner reading voice doesn't start to tremble that fast. Because, when my voice starts trembling, tears follow almost immeadetly.

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - joost - Dec-09-2011

For some odd reason I always yawn a lot more when reading alout. I do love reading for my nieces and nephew though, and the books they read aren't that boring.