thePlenty.net Forums
Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) (/thread-151.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Farseer - Dec-09-2011

^ Merely reading this prompted a yawn, though it being just after 3am here may have a little to do with it! P

Curiouser and curiouser. Now that you've got me thinking about it joost, I must say that I also yawn quite frequently when I read books aloud to my daughter...so possibly there's something in that since you are also reading to a younger audience! Blink Maybe it has something to do with the need to add a little 'more' to the reading, like a witch's cackle or a yawn to punctuate a 'tired' or 'bedtime' moment?! I know I come across the latter quite a bit. Or do you yawn no matter who you read to?

I think you read to your nieces and nephews on the couch quite a bit too (?) but, no matter the temperature or time of day or night, my daughter and I tend to almost always snuggle up in bed under a doona so maybe comfort is a contributing factor for me?! Sleeping Big Grin

It could even be that the sing-songy rhyme of many younger texts serves as being too lullaby-like...rats, now I can't stop yawning!!

@ Valarya - You'll have to let us know how you go!! P If you couldn't get through that moment, I wouldn't blame you at all!

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Valarya - Dec-09-2011

@Farseer - what is a Doona? Blink

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - fool-ish - Dec-09-2011

I don't think I'd even dare attempt to read HP7 aloud to anyone. I'd make a right old fool of myself! Pretty much all of 'The Forest Again' chapter has me filling up. Whoever was listening would just give up and go!

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Valarya - Dec-09-2011

(Dec-09-2011, 09:58 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: I don't think I'd even dare attempt to read HP7 aloud to anyone. I'd make a right old fool of myself! Pretty much all of 'The Forest Again' chapter has me filling up. Whoever was listening would just give up and go!

Hahah, yeah... we'll see when we get there. Pretty much ANY interaction between Harry and Dumbledore has me tearing up. Any mention of Harry's parents... or Sirius... and, well, mostly Dumbledore. I'm a sucker for him.

(Cute. Google Chrome recognizes "Dumbledore" as a correctly-spelled word, as it should!)

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - fool-ish - Dec-09-2011

(Dec-09-2011, 10:00 PM (UTC))Valarya Wrote:
(Dec-09-2011, 09:58 PM (UTC))fool-ish Wrote: I don't think I'd even dare attempt to read HP7 aloud to anyone. I'd make a right old fool of myself! Pretty much all of 'The Forest Again' chapter has me filling up. Whoever was listening would just give up and go!

Hahah, yeah... we'll see when we get there. Pretty much ANY interaction between Harry and Dumbledore has me tearing up. Any mention of Harry's parents... or Sirius... and, well, mostly Dumbledore. I'm a sucker for him.

(Cute. Google Chrome recognizes "Dumbledore" as a correctly-spelled word, as it should!)
Big Grin I bet he's in the Oxford Dictionary! Clapping

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Farseer - Dec-10-2011

(Dec-09-2011, 07:43 PM (UTC))Valarya Wrote: @Farseer - what is a Doona? Blink

You had me wondering for a second just how I was going to explain it P but possibly you know of it as a 'duvet'?

Regarding the 'Dumbledore' spell-check... Clapping Big Grin ...love it!

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Valarya - Dec-10-2011

Ahh, yes. A Duvet! Comfy Smiling

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - 'thul - Dec-11-2011

These beings are not often broken to sadness by books, they are more often provoked to loud laughter at good points, even (or perhaps especially) in re-reads. Good points like when a character makes a rash promise that will haunt him/her later on or especially comic sequences...

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - fool-ish - Dec-11-2011

Oh I've laughed many a time too! The Harry Potter books made me laugh out loud a few times, to name but one example. There are some cracking one-liners in that series, usually coming from a Weasley! Another that always sticks in my mind is from one of the Tawny Man books (for shame, I can't remember whether it's FE or FF) when Lord Golden is having his tantrum at the dockside..never fails to make me laugh. There's bound to be tons more books that have had that effect, just can't think of them right now.Big Grin

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Valarya - Dec-12-2011

I think Nighteyes makes me laugh the most when it comes to the RotE books. That wiley lil wolf has QUITE the sense of humor!! Big Grin