thePlenty.net Forums
Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) (/thread-151.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - fool-ish - Dec-15-2011

He didn't have the pleasure of watching AGOT either because I had to watch it online. For one reason or another, I think he's managed to convince himself that that which I read won't interest him in the least (probably because I become emotionally attached and lose my grip on reality for a time, which admittedly I do! P) You can't beat a bit of escapism is what I say!

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Farseer - Dec-15-2011

(Dec-14-2011, 06:50 PM (UTC))Relpda Wrote: Hi, wanted to say hello. I've just finished Dragon Haven after a good four months of reading all eleven RotE books and finally plucked up the courage to join and post as I feel I have a huge Hobb shaped gap in my life now that needs filling P.

A little late to the party Happyballoon but well met and welcome to thePlenty, Relpda...I'm so glad you found your courage! Yay Oh and, I agree, a terrific name!

(Dec-14-2011, 06:50 PM (UTC))Relpda Wrote: On the lighter side the first scene that comes to mind is when Fitz wakes up next to Molly and realises that Nighteyes has ahem helped him out in that department or when Lord Golden gets really drunk in order to try it on with Civil and Fitz has to carry him back to his room. That and the scene following it in his room made me giggle. I'm sure there are alot more too, just can't think of them off the top of my head.

Yes, yes and yes! Big Grin And you're right, there are just too many laugh-out-loud moments, though I think most of mine seem to have either Nighteyes, Fitz, Fool or Patience in them. P

Just thinking on it, I'm not sure I got much comic relief through DK or DH (hmm?), though Grigsby the cat was good value and Rapskal's sheer innocence was grin-worthy a lot of the time. No doubt I'll be reminded when I reach my re-read...I only have a bit of F and all of LST and TM still to go...haha! Big Grin The way I'm going, I won't get them done before CoD is released!!

Possibly I have said this somewhere before but Tag's reaction to Verity in AQ was a huge "Nawww" moment for me...there are so many things that happen up that Skill Road and in the quarry that are powerfully emotional for me! So many clues that stretch out to reach the future too! Wink

As for husbands...if I could change mine, I'm sure you all can too. He went from being a total non-reader to actually wanting to read Hobb books and feeling good about having read such thick books (and not just doing it because I ranted!). It's only taken twenty or more years...but I got there...so don't give up yet. Grouphug

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Relpda - Dec-15-2011

I agree fool-ish, escapism is the best :-)

Farseer that reminded me of a bit that made me laugh in Dragon Haven. At the end
Yes lots of touching moments in AQ. The bit where Fitz and the Fool recognise each other, alot of the bits with Kettricken because I felt so sorry for her, when Verity and Kettle go into that dragon Crying... Also another chuckle worthy moment for me was in that book when Fitz gets drunk and tells Chade that he went off after Regal despite what they thought he'd do so there P

Oooh thought of another one in FE when Fitz has to take Dutiful through the skill pillar and is wracked with guilt for Nighteyes and the Fool, I really felt for Fitz then.

I also started a re-read when I began the RWC as I knew I'd get terrible withdrawal signals when I was finished. Currently in the middle of RA so doubting I'll make it to the end before CoD but going to have fun tryingSmiling

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Valarya - Dec-15-2011

Oh my Relpda, yes... when Fitz has to go through the Pillar without Fool & Nighteyes. Such a hard moment, even reliving it while you know what happens next is tough. I've mentioned this earlier in the thread but, in case you haven't seen it, I find it very peculiar that I enjoyed the LST trilogy the best out of all of them (when speaking of a trilogy) but when I recount the most emotional moments of the book they all revolve around Fitz & Fool. Hobb really does a good job making you want to pick Fitz up and put him in your pocket to cradle, comfort & keep him safe.. doesn't she? Crying

I just finished an entire re-read myself... all 11 books within a couple of months... so I'm quite fresh on the series and ready for CoD! Big Grin

Oh definately, when Fitz puts all his memories into girl on a dragon I just wanted to give him a cuddle! <3 She does a similarly good job with the Fool in the TM books Crying I was absolutely heartbroken for him by the end. I can see what you mean about the LST trilogy too, I think the sad bits in that were really the whole story around Paragon and even then they didn't affect me like the Farseer books.

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - Valarya - Dec-15-2011

The Fool. Is there a better character written anywhere in literature? Not for me. I love him.. I truly do. I only hope we get a short-story involving Fool and Prilkop in the far south-east some time.

Anyone think Fool will show up in the last two RWC? It's so hard reading a book where he isn't if you know what I mean. Crying

Oh yes, I agree on all the above about the Fool Wub and would absolutely love a short story about him and Prilkop. I know what you mean, when I was reading RWC I kept expecting him to pop up. Again I think I would do a dance round the room (possibly even my entire street P) if he appeared anywhere in the next two books but trying not to get my hopes up on that one.

(Dec-15-2011, 07:27 PM (UTC))Relpda Wrote: .....but trying not to get my hopes up on that one.

This. Crying

I know I'll love it just the same. One of the neatest things to me is the fact that ALL the things Fool did... he didn't just bring Dragons back to the world. Oh no. Everything has changed. These dragons are unlike dragons of old. They're much more humble and even the Elderlings are different. I think having the dragons back this way (after having them gone for so long) doesn't just bring humans down a notch in the chain of things.. it brings dragons down a notch in their egos.

Just think.. now they will know that deformed hatchlings might not be such a disdainful thing. If given food, warmth and more food, it could turn out to be a normal dragon someday. It's also interesting for them to know that a dim-witted dragon can become much more intelligent by joining with a human.

Oh Fool.. your cycle is THE cycle. Wub

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - 'thul - Dec-15-2011

These beings doubt that will happen. The fool, while an excellent character, has done his tasks to fix the world. It just will not fit for him to meddle further. Future prophets on the other hand, that might happen.

RE: Emotions in the Elderling Realm (SPOILERS all books) - fool-ish - Dec-15-2011

We can only hope! Out of everything I've read, fool remains for me, the best character ever to grace the pages of a book. Farseer and Tawny Man will always be my first loves, though I did very much enjoy LST. I was drawn to Wintrow in that particular series.