thePlenty.net Forums
[split] Ideas for what to work on in the wiki - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Site and forum (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: thePlenty.net site development (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: [split] Ideas for what to work on in the wiki (/thread-158.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: [split] Ideas for what to work on in the wiki - Mervi - May-29-2010

What I meant really is that the wiki is older than the forums and it has (or used to have) some contributors who might have never visited here at all - and if they suddenly find the inspiration to start adding stuff again, they might be confused if they come across big projects that aren't mentioned in the project page. It's not really a huge deal anyway - I make edits all the time without consulting the projects list. Just use it when you're planning on something bigger. Smiling

RE: [split] Ideas for what to work on in the wiki - Farseer - May-29-2010

For the sake of consistency within the wiki, Mervi, were you wanting us to try and stick with American spelling rather than our own (eg 'color' as opposed to 'colour') or doesn't it matter too much?

RE: [split] Ideas for what to work on in the wiki - Mervi - May-29-2010

I really haven't thought about that at all! I guess the US spelling is the "correct" one because that's probably what Robin uses Wink but then again most of the books have been published in the UK first (and those are mainly the editions I have so when I copy something it's likely I have copied the UK spelling as well). I personally don't think this is a huge issue, but then I'm a ignorant non-native speaker. P Is this something we should try to decide together, or just let people use whatever spelling is "right" for them?

RE: [split] Ideas for what to work on in the wiki - Farseer - May-30-2010

I'd say just leave it as is and keep going with people using whatever spelling is right for them?

I hadn't noticed any telling differences, or thought about it at all, as a 'reader' of the wiki...it was only something that occurred to me when it came time to write about the 'colour' of a pecksie and I just thought I'd better check with you, thanks P !

RE: [split] Ideas for what to work on in the wiki - Nuytsia - May-30-2010

I already used it! (I hope!)
I'm not sure when I'll be planning anything bigger! hehehee
(May-29-2010, 01:05 AM (UTC))Mervi Wrote: What I meant really is that the wiki is older than the forums and it has (or used to have) some contributors who might have never visited here at all - and if they suddenly find the inspiration to start adding stuff again, they might be confused if they come across big projects that aren't mentioned in the project page. It's not really a huge deal anyway - I make edits all the time without consulting the projects list. Just use it when you're planning on something bigger. Smiling

RE: [split] Ideas for what to work on in the wiki - Farseer - Jun-08-2010

By this do you mean that you have already posted your plants info onto the wiki, Nuytsia? I can't find anything...but maybe I'm just not looking in the right spot.

I also got your message, and mysterious wink Big Grin, but can't for the life of me work out how to reply!!!!

RE: [split] Ideas for what to work on in the wiki - Nuytsia - Jun-08-2010

Hehehe I'm able to mysteriously comment without fear of reply!

Yep I did post my plans on the wiki - they should be on the 'Projects' page.
Actually I just looked and it's just above your list of projects! (toward the bottom of the page).

I don't know about anyone else but the thing that took me the longest to work out was how to start a new entry!!

Feel free to ask if you need any tips from a fellow newbie!

Yep, saw those 'plans' on the projects page before I posted mine. Um, I actually did mean 'plants' in my previous post, not 'plans' (as in the Rain Wilds plants and animals you were researching) Big Grin . Ahem...I thought you must have already finished putting all the actual info relating to your plants etc into the wiki itself but obviously you're still just working on them, as I am mine Smiling .

My biggest hurdle was in the beginning when I couldn't work out how to add to the already-established lists eg I tried for AGES to add Jami and Mirrifen to the alphabetical character list and couldn't...of course, I finally realised that I CAN'T add anything as that's a job only for Mervi, as admin, to do (or at least that's the reason I came up with!).

I think I've got it all sorted now (even seem to have the hang of the codes!)...just need to get my books to confirm all the info I've done up before I post it.

RE: [split] Ideas for what to work on in the wiki - Nuytsia - Jun-08-2010

Oh silly me!! PLANTS! (must learn to pay more attention to what I'm reading)

No I didn't mean to imply I'd already posted the plants info. Just that it's what I'm working on.
I actually didn't find very many named plants described in Dragon Haven, so I thought I might re-read DK too as I suspect Thymara also makes comments about some plants in that.
So yes I have my own (very brief) notes on my computer on plants but none on wiki yet.

I did put the Animals into the wiki from Dragon Haven, as I don't think there's much more info on Animals in DK (but if there is I'll just amend/add entries to wiki). So hopefully you can find those under either 'Animals' or 'Rain Wilds'.

As far as I know if you wanted to add a new character you'd create a page for that entry - eg Jami - and then you can type the text about that character into that page, and add the Categories that you want that page to appear in - umm not sure who those people are so I don't know what the category is! Another example is Althea - she is in both the category 'Characters' and the category 'Bingtown'.

I am not sure if there is more than one way to create a new page, but the way I found is that if you search on a name that doesn't exist it then takes you to a page with a link to 'create this page'

It took me ages to work that out! Possibly largely due to the fact that search in the wiki doesn't work on my browser (Google Chrome), except for from my own user page, (no idea why) so it took me ages to stumble across it!!!!

Just had a look...you've done an awesome job!!

Yeah, I found out how to create a new page but didn't think to work backward and create a categories link on that page first, to then have the subject included in the lists! THANKS, that's a big help!!