thePlenty.net Forums
[split] Ideas for what to work on in the wiki - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Site and forum (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: thePlenty.net site development (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: [split] Ideas for what to work on in the wiki (/thread-158.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: [split] Ideas for what to work on in the wiki - Mervi - Aug-25-2010

Excellent stuff, Farseer - I wouldn't call it a "draft"! Smiling I went and added some links and put it in the races category.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for such a project article? I think we should start with something humble at first (that is, not [[Fitz]]) but it also has to be something substantial.

RE: [split] Ideas for what to work on in the wiki - Farseer - Aug-25-2010

Whew, thanks for your encouragement Mervi. *sighs with relief* First thing I had to do this morning was check in and see what you thought Smiling !

Thanks also for the links etc. Will get onto the rest of the WLC characters now that I've tackled the pecksies.

Re a subject for a project article...possibly something more to do with the Farseer trilogy, seeing as you are re-reading at present? I'm happy to let you lead while I follow, at least for the first one?!

RE: [split] Ideas for what to work on in the wiki - Nuytsia - Aug-26-2010

Geees you're lucky you met the deadline Farseer, or there would have been such a hounding! Rant

Heh, well I didn't actually read your wiki as (1) I don't know anything about pecksies so couldn't really comment and (2) I suppose I shouldn't really read about them and spoil myself for the actual story/ies featuring them!

That's weird about the use of capital P and then not ..... Is Pecksies a proper noun? I guess it depends on whether it's a 'race' or an 'animal'????? Now that I think of it human races tend to be written with caps.... but of course animal species don't .... hmmmmm I guess it's not that important really!
*goes back to school*

I'm not sure about a topic for the project....... I would be happy to go with whatever was decided.
I'm thinking you'd know best what needs addressing most in the wiki Mervi?*

*or am I just too lazy to have a good look!! Blushing

RE: [split] Ideas for what to work on in the wiki - Farseer - Aug-27-2010

I would be interested in doing something about the different magics at some stage. I know that the Wit and Skill have been covered but it would be good to have a heading for magic in general, covering all known magics including hedge-magics and scrying? I know Fitz wrote an informative blurb on it all and that would be a really good place to start with research. Will add it to my list of things to do on the wiki.

Nuytsia, I actually thought that reading the entry would give people a better understanding of the passage regarding Fitz and pecksies in FF, especially when not having read WLC. Not sure if there's too much actual spoiler material? I don't think there's anything realy there that I haven't touched on elsewhere in the forum. What do you think, Mervi, or anyone else who has read WLC? Up to you though, Nuytsia, as I definitely understand your reasoning...much better to get that 'Aha!' during the reading of the story!

As for capitals or not, well, it beats me and I TEACH school!! Dragons or elves or pixies etc don't use a capital so not sure why pecksies would. I'd have thought that 'Others' has one simply to differentiate them from the word 'other'. Elderlings do also so possibly it is a race thing in RotE. Funny that they are different in the two lots of text though.

RE: [split] Ideas for what to work on in the wiki - Mervi - Sep-01-2010

Well, I think both the Skill and the Wit articles could use a lot of work. But I personally dare not touch them, I'm much more comfortable with articles about characters and places as the facts are much easier to gather. Someone like King [[Shrewd]] who is a really important character but doesn't really feature in too many of the books, or too heavily.

Hmm. One thing that comes to my mind that needs to be done are short descriptions of each book. Not necessarily a summary of the plot, but an outline of events and main characters etc.

I don't think the pecksies articles is especially spoilery. Sure, it mentions things we found out in Words Like Coins, but you can't really guess the plot from it. Although it might help you to guess the outcome while you're reading the story.

RE: [split] Ideas for what to work on in the wiki - Farseer - Sep-01-2010

Mervi, I have no idea how you have done what you have so far - it is a HUGE accomplishment and a credit to you! While others like us help with small contributions, you carry/have carried the far greater workload and, whew, what a massive job you've taken on.

I agree, having just gone and had a look, that both the Wit and Skill need work and I'd be willing to try and build those up a little (in my spare time P !).

I also agree that Shrewd could be significantly improved with some attention, and book descriptions is a great idea.

Where to from here? That I can see, the main downside to a project article would be not knowing what someone else is researching, say, on King Shrewd, and we may double up only to find someone else has done it? Which is no doubt why taking on a subject alone is possibly the easier option in the long run, and why you've been doing it that way Smiling ?! Still, I'm up for the challenge!

You lead, I'll follow...and will get to taking down notes on these things in the meantime, as I come across them.

What happens with posts to discussion pages? Do we get alerts when something has been added by someone? I think I'd better go and re-read a few wiki tips..
(Sep-01-2010, 12:43 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: You lead, I'll follow...and will get to taking down notes on these things in the meantime, as I come across them.

Ahem! Well researched notes that are taken down when not in the middle of a million other distracting tasks and hence ripped from 'memory'!

RE: [split] Ideas for what to work on in the wiki - Mervi - Sep-01-2010

On the left side of each wiki page you see a box titled "personal tools". There's a link named "my preferences" among the links under that heading. On the very first "tab" that opens, "user profile", are some settings regarding emails. The one you might want to use is "E-mail me when a page on my watchlist is changed". That means that when you add a page to your "watchlist" and someone edits that page, you should get a notification email. However, I'd use that feature sparingly as it might easily clog your inbox. Wink And how to add a page to your watchlist? When you are on any page, let's say [[Pecksie]], you see a row of tabs in the right top corner of that page. The very last tab is "watch". Just click on that, and some powerful magic will happen! Magic

RE: [split] Ideas for what to work on in the wiki - Farseer - Sep-16-2010

Thanks Mervi - I have finally done all that!

I haven't been on here as much lately but have still been busy taking notes in my new journal entitled, 'Notes for thePlenty'...my kids think I've lost the plot P !

RE: [split] Ideas for what to work on in the wiki - Nuytsia - Oct-07-2010

Woops I haven't read this for ages .....
Farseer I can't even remember the bit about Fitz and Pecksies in FF !! Geees my mind is like a sieve. I'm re-reading the books so maybe I'll read you article on Pecksies when I come to that bit in FF ! (assuming I can actually bring myself to re-read FF which I may chicken out from doing.... or maybe I;ll just read the first 2/3 or so ......)

RE: [split] Ideas for what to work on in the wiki - Mervi - Jul-19-2014

I've listed all the characters from Blue Boots on the article about the short story. If anyone with a copy of the story feels like turning those red links blue, that should be a relatively easy/quick job!