thePlenty.net Forums
Your Most Memorable Books/Series/Authors - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Your Most Memorable Books/Series/Authors (/thread-159.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Your Twenty Most Memorable Books - Nuytsia - Jun-02-2010

I guess putting in dashes for erased lines is sort of forth wall breaking?
It's FREAKY in any case.
Do you think the story about why there's erased lines was a fiction?

RE: Your Twenty Most Memorable Books - Nuytsia - Jun-02-2010

Oh so my 20 most memorable books... knowing my memory I'll be hard pressed to name 20 (and I can't really list every book in a series so ...)

In no particular order (oh ok, it IS the order I thought of them in, that's an order):

1. Well all the Robin Hobb books obviously spring to mind. I don't know which one/s would be my fav though!
2. Game of Thrones (GRRM). No surprises so far.... yeah I like this.... probably talked about it enough in the actual thread on it.
3. The Death Gate Cycle (Weiss and Hickman)..... I really got sucked into this when I read it (quite a long time ago now).
4. Anything by Terry Pratchett (I can't really pick one as a standout)....I don't know how he comes up with such inventive stuff so prolifically! Great humour. And I love that Death loves cats! And I love Sergeant Detritus!!!!!!!!!!!!
5. Otherland by Tad Williams - I really liked this - perfect timing back in the early days of the internet ...... what I want to know is, all these years later WHERE'S MY VIRTUAL REALITY INTERNET? (it's like 'where's my jetpack?')
6. Memory, Thorn and Sorrow by Tad Williams - might have been one of the first real fantasy things i read? (after LOTR, long after). Liked. Can't remember much of it now though!
7. The Axis Trilogy by Sara Douglass - man there was a series of books that went downhill after this initial trilogy though. I really liked the first lot, but, I think this is a case of not knowing when to stop writing in that particular world? Not sure, she may have had the whole thing in mind from the start, but personally I think it should have stopped earlier.
*OH NO in going to check how many books there were on her website I just found out she's got a forthcoming continuation!!!!!!! Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!*
8. The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant - Stephen Donaldson. I also read this when I was pretty young and thought it was great. I later read his Sci fi stuff and didn't really like it, just found it made me want to vomit but apart from that not much...
9. The Lord of the Rings - do I really need to say any more? I was very young when I read it and loved it.
10. The Dark Tower books by Stephen King. I haven't read any of his other stuff and I don't think it'd be much like this? I really liked these ones. Gees there was a clint eastwood western on the other night it's SO that guy in the books.
11. The Silver Brumby books by .?.. - ok I was REALLY young when I read these, but they came to mind! So they must be memorable! I think I adored them as a child!
12. In the same vein, Playing Beatie Bow was another childhood book I really liked.
13. Great Expectations, Hard Times, Oliver Twist - Dickens is one of the few things I was forced to read at school and REALLY loved. (hehe also love the songs in the musical version of OT)
14. Emma by Jane Austen - I read it when I was at school (but I don't think it was on our required reading list) and I remember really liking it - but I can't remember anything about it now so not sure if it really belongs on this official list.
15. Back to Fantasy - Terry Goodkind. I got sucked into his books and read quite a few of them before they went a bit off the rails and just got too repetitive and a bit silly, and let's face it the main guy is one of those unlikeable and, later, all powerful dudes.
16. Maybe in a similar vein the Wheel of Time books by Robert Jordan. I enjoyed at first but ... then not so much .... haven't read the last few.
17. Nineteen eighty-four by George Orwell - GEEES! I only got around to reading this a few years ago and phew creeparama. This did make an impression on me. I HAD read Animal Farm ages before and now I can't remember a lot about that, except that I found it interesting.
18. This kinds of makes me also remember something I read AGES ago which was Brave New World by Huxley. That I remember really liking, and it stayed with me for a while, although the details are certainly sketchy now!
19. The Collector - John Fowles - this is in the category of 'they made me read it for school' but it was pretty memorable (well I remembered it!)
20. Clockwork Orange - I'd never recommend it but I could hardly forget it!!!!

Other books spring vaguely to mind like the narnia books, arthur c clarke books, hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, David Gemmell, Conn Iggulden, Raymond E Feist, but as I can't remember a lot about them I guess they don't really count as 'memorable books' for me!

RE: Your Twenty Most Memorable Books - Farseer - Jun-03-2010

It's been interesting to see how we have each approached this task Smiling ! I have done it up to fifteen before, years ago, and could have added so many more back then, which is why I thought I'd push it up to twenty for us. Here's my list - in good faith I have copied and pasted the first fifteen titles from the very first list I ever made, and then just added the first five I could think of this time around, though I can STILL think of heaps more!

1. To Sir with Love by ER Braithwaite
An all-time classic...enough said!

2. The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith by Thomas Keneally
I read it when I was twelve and it has stuck with me...the story is based on an actual event in the life of Indigenous Australian bushranger, Jimmy Governor.

3. I Can Jump Puddles by Alan Marshall
I read this as a child but it also later became significantly important to me and my eldest son on a very personal level, after he ended up not being able to stand or walk for many years without the aid of crutches or a wheelchair. An Aussie classic.

4. The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay
Much of it possibly stems from years of sharing good times watching the Commonwealth Games with my boxing-mad dad but I loved this book on all levels and also its sequel ‘Tandia’ (which resolved everything after the ending of the ‘The Power of One’ which kept me hanging for years!). The whole story (both books) has a sad and bittersweet ending...the sort of finish that I am kind of expecting for the RotE books.

5. Pygmalian by George Bernard Shaw
Actually a play, I’m pretty sure that this was the inspiration for the movies ‘My Fair Lady’, ‘Pretty Woman’ and ‘She’s all That’ (none of which I particularly like!). I read it as a teenager and just loved the whole concept of being able to change so much of yourself but still have the ability to stay true to you.

6. Playing Beatie Bow by Ruth Park
I loved this book as a child and have re-read it to my own kids. I’m guessing it’s the whole ‘historical’ aspect that captured me...not to mention that the playground scenes in the beginning of the story totally freaked me out and thus gave me nightmares! I never saw the movie but spent time with Mouche Phillips (who played Beatie Bow) at a horse camp in the Kooralbyn Valley when I was in high school (a tiny bit of name dropping Wink !).

7. 1915 by Roger McDonald
Along with ‘The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe’, this is the book I spent my childhood reading over, and over, and over. I would take it out of the school library, return it, and then immediately take it out again! Based on the events of World War I, it follows the lives of some legendary ANZACs. It inspired an award-winning mini-series which I also loved and need to get a copy of!

8. Dances with Wolves by Michael Blake
Though it was originally written as a spec script, the novel is so much better than the movie! Though he doesn’t appear as an author on this list, I have long loved to read anything with a ‘western’ theme thanks to western writer, Louis L’Amour. I also have a very deep and life-long interest in Native Americans. This book, read when I was about nineteen, allowed me to wallow in both loves (not to mention wolves!). I am yet to read its sequel ‘The Holy Road’.

9. The True Story of Hansel and Gretel by Louise Murphy
Despite being a thin book with very easy-to-read text, it took me more than a month to flog through because it was one of the most depressing books I’ve ever read it. I can’t pinpoint exactly why it had such an effect on me but it was like wrapping myself in a blanket of doom each time I picked it up...it just really got to me!

10. These Is My Words by Nancy E Turner
I love pioneering stories (my country background?) and stories with strong female characters. This book was the first of a series of three truly special books and, after reading them all, I know that Sarah Agnes Prine will stay with me forever. Until Robin Hobb, I had it as my favourite series of all time – that’s a big call that I know many will not agree with Smiling ...there is nothing ‘fantasy’ about it!

11. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M Pursig
Not all books on my list are ‘favourites’, this being a particularly good example...this one makes an appearance on the thread The worst book you have read !

12. A Solitary Blue by Cynthia Voigt
This was a book that one of my sons had to read during early high school. I was staying in a motel room and was desperate to read something. It was a simple read so I read it in the one sitting but cried, and cried, and cried right through it...it proved to be a rather beneficial cleansing with regard to some of my long-standing abandonment issues! Healing can come from some strange places!

13. Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
The book that finally got my husband really into novels (as opposed to mostly biographical-type reads) and he hasn’t looked back since. It was the first of a series of youth books based on the main character, Brian, and it was the first series our entire family read and then discussed animatedly around the kitchen table.

14. Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery
Special memories of reading this to my two sons who couldn’t wait for bedtime every night so we could snuggle up to read more of Anne’s adventures. They were about seven or eight at the time and are not the least bit embarrassed to admit it was one of their favourite books, even though they are now young men.

15. Assassin’s Apprentice by Robin Hobb
The first book of Robin’s I read, and the first book that made me fall in love with her story-telling...

16. The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan
The first book in the Ranger’s Apprentice series...another brilliant series enjoyed by all in our family. The simple relationships between the characters are hilarious and refreshing...a book series for youths but I LOVE it!

17. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S.Lewis
Along with ‘1915’, this is the book I spent my childhood reading over, and over, and over. Nobody else in the school could get it out of the library because I always had it! It’s also memorable as it was the very first book I read from the ‘The Chronicles of Narnia’ series – loved it!!

18. Once by Morris Gleitzman
Through a lot of personal study on religion and philosophy etc, I have read a great deal about the Holocaust over the years and this was an interesting read from a child’s point of view. Another terrific sharing project with my kids!

19. A Rose for the ANZAC Boys by Jackie French
I have sobbed through the last two years’ worth of Dawn Service and ANZAC Day ceremonies I have attended since reading this book, and blubbered my whole way through the book itself. My husband and one of my sons read it and couldn’t understand what all the fuss was about, and I can’t for the life of me explain!! * eyes filling up just thinking about that wilted rose *

20. A Child’s Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson
Ah, my most cherished of all books...which I still have, though it is now without its hard cover. It forever put me on the road to a life of poetry, literature and language!

As you can see, most of mine are simple titles from my childhood, or those I have shared with my family...nothing too note-worthy, and not in order of 'importance' by any means. I may have to come back and do another twenty P !

RE: Your Twenty Most Memorable Books - Farseer - Jun-03-2010

(Jun-02-2010, 11:15 AM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: 11. The Silver Brumby books by .?.. - ok I was REALLY young when I read these, but they came to mind! So they must be memorable! I think I adored them as a child!

Elyn Mitchell? She wrote a 'Silver Brumby' series about Thowra etc? Set in the Snowies?

RE: Your Twenty Most Memorable Books - Nuytsia - Jun-03-2010

That's it!!! Memmmmoriiiies....!!

Glad to see Playing Beatie Bow made your list too - it certainly was eerie!

RE: Your Twenty Most Memorable Books - NeverBeenWise - Jul-05-2010

1. Fool's Fate. I'm re-reading it right now. Might as well throw in all of the Farseer and Tawny Man books in with it so I don't take up six slots.
2. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.
3. The Warriors series by Erin Hunter.
4. Fire Bringer, The Sight, and Fell by David Clement-Davies.
5. Rumo and his Miraculous Adventures, The City of Dreaming Books, and The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers.
6. The Secrets of Droon series by... I forget.
7. The Redwall series by Brian Jacques.
8. The Xanth series by Piers Anthony.
9. The Black Jewels series by Anne Bishop.
10. The Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey.
11. The Bible, just because it was the first book title I read on this page.
12. The Twilight "Saga," by Stephanie Meyer, only because it's just that bad.
13. Dinotopia? Don't know why I thought of that - I've only read two of the books, and two years ago at that.
14. A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket.
15. The Young Wizardry series by Diane Duane! Extremely well-written, even though it's a kid's series.
16. The Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling. Need I say more?
17. Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien. Oh, and The Hobbit.
18. Graceling by Kristin Cashore. A Young Adult fiction book, but pretty good.
19. Not really books, but Twelfth Night, King Lear, and A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare.
20. Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amos. We had to read it in school.

So these aren't really 20 books... let's see how many individual books I've actually included in the list, shall we?

Oh goodness. Big Grin I've managed to include a grand total of 157 books on my twenty-book list.

RE: Your Twenty Most Memorable Books - Farseer - Jul-09-2010

(Jul-05-2010, 07:32 PM (UTC))NeverBeenWise Wrote: 14. A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket.

Even being an old maid, I LOVED reading these books with my two sons (the eldest of whom is almost your age, NeverBeenWise!) and I can't wait to share them with my daughter. The series is firmly on my 'to buy' list!!

RE: Your Twenty Most Memorable Books - joost - Jul-19-2010

I just realised I missed one of the best books I've ever had the pleasure of reading: Neil Stephenson's 'Snow crash'. I hardly ever read cyberpunk, but this was a brilliantly written book.

RE: Your Twenty Most Memorable Books - 'thul - Jul-19-2010

20 is such a small number... make it 100 and books/series/authors, and you're getting closer to a decent list (for one person)...

RE: Your Most Memorable Books/Series/Authors - Farseer - Jul-19-2010

To strengthen inter-being relationships here on thePlenty, I have amended the thread title and taken away any such limits as a mere number...go your hardest, 'thul Big Grin !