thePlenty.net Forums
Your Most Memorable Books/Series/Authors - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Your Most Memorable Books/Series/Authors (/thread-159.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Your Most Memorable Books/Series/Authors - 'thul - Jul-20-2010

*grins*

These beings will do so later on... When they are fully awake...

RE: Your Most Memorable Books/Series/Authors - Farseer - Oct-14-2010

Sleeping Are you awake yet, 'thul?
(Jun-02-2010, 11:15 AM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: 4. Anything by Terry Pratchett (I can't really pick one as a standout)....I don't know how he comes up with such inventive stuff so prolifically! Great humour. And I love that Death loves cats! And I love Sergeant Detritus!!!!!!!!!!!!
15. Back to Fantasy - Terry Goodkind. I got sucked into his books and read quite a few of them before they went a bit off the rails and just got too repetitive and a bit silly, and let's face it the main guy is one of those unlikeable and, later, all powerful dudes.

Ok, now this just has to be said, despite my knowing that I will never live this down Turned !

I have only heard of these two authors since being a part of our thePlenty group and, for whatever reason, I actually thought they were both females until re-reading this post just now! *cringes against fantasy fan attack* I really should have looked at the 'y' in 'Terry'...that would have been handy P !

RE: Your Most Memorable Books/Series/Authors - Mervi - Oct-14-2010

WHAT.

Farseer you absolutely HAVE to read some Pratchett!!! Like right now, this minute, do something to get a copy of one of his books! And when you get one, read it before all the other volumes in your "to-be-read-soon" list! You are missing out on some really awesome/classic stuff!
I was introduced to Discworld via "Mort" but really any of them is a good starting place (other personal favourites include "Pyramids" and "Moving Pictures". Oh and you have to have to have to read "Good Omens" by Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

RE: Your Most Memorable Books/Series/Authors - 'thul - Oct-14-2010

Indeed. Such an mistake needs correction.

'thul have discworld books 1-30, 33-36 in .pdf format. Will one (or more) of those suffice?

RE: Your Most Memorable Books/Series/Authors - Nuytsia - Oct-15-2010

*faints*

(Oct-14-2010, 04:16 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Ok, now this just has to be said, despite my knowing that I will never live this down Turned !
I have only heard of these two authors since being a part of our thePlenty group and, for whatever reason, I actually thought they were both females until re-reading this post just now! *cringes against fantasy fan attack* I really should have looked at the 'y' in 'Terry'...that would have been handy P !

Whoa how does one read fantasy and not come across T Pratchett!
Hmmm and even T Goodkind really .....
VERY prolific writers - next time you walk into a bookstore and look in the fantasy section you'll wonder how you missed them I bet!

Re T Pratchett books I like the witches ones and also the nights watch ones.
Errr I'd have to get back to you on which are the first ones for those characters.... geeees if you lived around here I could lend you most of his books!

Interesting Mervi , I really didn't care for Moving Pictures at all for some reason! It might depend somewhat on what order you read them in, or just personal taste I guess.
How's this, my mum read one of his books and said she really didn't like him! What the???? (I don't remember if she said which one, in fact I bet she has him confused with someone else)

RE: Your Most Memorable Books/Series/Authors - Mervi - Oct-15-2010

Re: Goodkind. I had heard his name but never really paid attention until I saw the Legend of the Seeker tv series. His works haven't been translated to Finnish, so he isn't that well known here. Pratchett however is quite popular and I have to say the translations are really quite good, especially considering many of the jokes are based on English language phrases and can't be translated directly.

Well I didn't like Hogfather and I've seen people claim it's his best book so...
I'd say the DEATH books are a safe starting point. Who doesn't like DEATH?! I think the "trilogy" is Mort, Reaper Man & Soul Music although I wouldn't really call it a trilogy (haven't read Soul Music yet though) and of course DEATH has cameos in most of his work.

RE: Your Most Memorable Books/Series/Authors - Farseer - Oct-17-2010

(Oct-14-2010, 05:24 PM (UTC))Mervi Wrote: Farseer you absolutely HAVE to read some Pratchett!!! Like right now, this minute, do something to get a copy of one of his books!

I have tried to get onto the Kindle Store and download something (don’t have a Kindle but I do have Kindle for PC) but, since my boys have used all of this month’s download allowance (12G!!) for World of Warcraft patches Rant , I can’t download something of that size as our speed has been slowed to the point where it takes AGES just to change a page here on thePlenty!

(Oct-14-2010, 07:33 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: 'thul have discworld books 1-30, 33-36 in .pdf format. Will one (or more) of those suffice?

Thanks for the kind and very generous offer, 'thul, but I would feel a little funny about that, I think Undecided. Though (at a stretch) I can see that it wouldn’t be that different from borrowing a book from someone, I can’t really give it back and therefore would feel more comfortable with paying for a copy of anything I keep.

I will be near a library tomorrow so I promise to do all I can to get SOMETHING of Pratchett’s, and then let you know what I think Smiling !

RE: Your Most Memorable Books/Series/Authors - Farseer - Oct-18-2010

I have...'The Colour of Magic' Book ! As far as I can tell, it's the first one?

RE: Your Most Memorable Books/Series/Authors - joost - Oct-18-2010

Yes, it is. Have fun reading it!

RE: Your Most Memorable Books/Series/Authors - Albertosaurus Rex - Oct-18-2010

Can I be contrarian here? While I've read a fair deal of books by Pratchett, I eventually stopped reading them because I realized I didn't find them all that funny. I recognized most jokes, just didn't really laugh at them. And since dropping Pratchett, I haven't really felt the urge to pick up his books again.