thePlenty.net Forums
Cooking and Recipes - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Everything else (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Cooking and Recipes (/thread-164.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Cooking and Recipes - 'thul - Apr-15-2011

Mangoes are a bit expensive currently... more than twice the price of a couple of weeks ago

RE: Cooking and Recipes - redchild - May-14-2011

Eggs. I love eggs. They're so versatile. How do you guys like your eggs?

If simply cooking a fast egg, I like mine overeasy with some salt, pepper. ketchup, maybe some red pepper flakes or sambal. I can eat it alone or with toast, rice, noodles or as a croque madame. Simply because it's easy and much faster than boiling.

I also like scrambled with ground or corned beef. Somehow I just find the texture very pleasant with ground beef. Probably something to do with the fat/juices. Steamed egg is also very good with scallions and soy sauce. You can also put stuff in it like meat, seafood and cooked vegetables. Scrambling and steaming egg is a good way to use up leftovers.

Speaking of leftovers, anyone have good ideas on how to use them up?

RE: Cooking and Recipes - 'thul - May-14-2011

These beings havent fried eggs in quite some time now... but they generally make omelet because its fairly easy.

This past week 'thul have been experimenting with pasta sauce (again) and found a nice combo. They mixed in various things like larger amounts of garlic, crushed tomatoes, seasoning, chopped onion, pineapple, caramel sauce (yes, caramel sauce), and a few other ingredients... The end result was extremely good...

RE: Cooking and Recipes - Nuytsia - Jun-08-2011

I love eggs too! I agree, so versatile (and yum)

I usually have them fried....... just on toast with maybe a bit of pepper.....

Actually lately a few times I've had steamed veges (eg broccoli, potato etc) with olive oil and herbs with fried eggs on top with maybe salt and pepper and it was SO NICE which is weird cos it sounds boring......

(May-14-2011, 07:33 AM (UTC))redchild Wrote: Eggs. I love eggs. They're so versatile. How do you guys like your eggs?

If simply cooking a fast egg, I like mine overeasy with some salt, pepper. ketchup, maybe some red pepper flakes or sambal. I can eat it alone or with toast, rice, noodles or as a croque madame. Simply because it's easy and much faster than boiling.

I also like scrambled with ground or corned beef. Somehow I just find the texture very pleasant with ground beef. Probably something to do with the fat/juices. Steamed egg is also very good with scallions and soy sauce. You can also put stuff in it like meat, seafood and cooked vegetables. Scrambling and steaming egg is a good way to use up leftovers.

Speaking of leftovers, anyone have good ideas on how to use them up?

RE: Cooking and Recipes - Farseer - Jul-12-2011

Eggs? Yes, I am a fan!

Scrambled, fried, poached, boiled, as an omelette, curried, made into quiches or meringues etc...however they can be cooked or seasoned, I'll eat them!

Egg-nog though? Nope! Can't stand the stuff.

A quick egg story to share...my husband, while he was still 'boyfriend', had been out with his brother and friends at the pub and they'd all had quite a bit to drink. When they got home in the early hours of the morning, they decided that they were hungry so my now brother-in-law went down to the chook house and collected some duck eggs and fried them up for everyone to eat. The next day, my mother-in-law ventured out and asked what happened to the dozen or so duck eggs that were a week off hatching...

I'll see what 'left-over' recipes I can dig up for you, redchild!

RE: Cooking and Recipes - NeverBeenWise - Jul-13-2011

Funny, I haven't visited this thread before! And I say "funny" because my mom's kinda an awesome chef. And I'm helping her type up a family cookbook. Unfortunately said cookbook is saved on my computer, which in turn I left at my mom's house (I'm at my dad's apartment). Because I'm a slightly sadistic person, then, I shall tempt you all with the names and descriptions of some of the recipes, and provide them sometime later after you've had the chance to drool over your own computer screens! (It's also so I can remember which recipes to share, but shhh...)

-cream cheese dainties, a type of cookie, with the cookie part made with cream cheese and the center dabbed with jam
-mango chutney, which speaks for itself
-kourabiedes, a type of Greek butter cookie heaped with confectioner's sugar, each one studded with a clove for flavor

Also, does anyone have any problems with gluten or dairy? Because both my mom and my brother do, so she has lots of recipes that are gluten- and dairy-free. Also lots of recipes that are vegetarian, vegan, and even raw that are pretty darn good.

To tide you over, if you have chicken stock already, you can bring it to a boil, chop up some fresh carrots (on an angle so the pieces are big), get fresh spinach and whole fresh basil leaves and finely chopped scallions and maybe some grated fresh ginger, and stick everything in the broth. Then pour in a 14-16 ounce can of coconut milk. (I'm in America, that's what we get, but the actual amount doesn't matter too much as long as it's roughly in that general vicinity; for people in other parts of the world, the top of the can is about 10 cm in diameter and it's about twice as tall as that.) Cook it only for a few minutes so the carrots don't get too soft, stirring to make sure the coconut milk combines thoroughly with the broth.

I think that's my favorite type of soup, actually. It's versatile enough that you can put chicken or turkey in it, and if you're vegetarian you can use vegetable stock and skip the meat entirely.

RE: Cooking and Recipes - redchild - Jul-14-2011

^Hmm I should try that soup recipe. I never thought of combining coconut milk with stock (which I've got plenty of.)

(Jul-12-2011, 03:52 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: The next day, my mother-in-law ventured out and asked what happened to the dozen or so duck eggs that were a week off hatching...

Uhh, wow. Awkward. Whistling

RE: Cooking and Recipes - 'thul - Jul-14-2011

Would there not have been considerable similarity to ducklings inside those eggs?

RE: Cooking and Recipes - redchild - Jul-14-2011

Hard boiled?

"Hmm this egg is kinda crunchy."

RE: Cooking and Recipes - 'thul - Jul-14-2011

unless duck fetus development is very different from how these beings think it is, a duck egg that is about 1 week away from hatching will most likely contain at least some bones, maybe even some feathers.