thePlenty.net Forums
Plot holes (spoilers included) in RotE - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Plot holes (spoilers included) in RotE (/thread-166.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Plot holes (spoilers included) in Farseer and Tawny Man - Relpda - Jan-28-2012

Interesting stuff, very excited to hear Robin's answer Farseer! Magic

RE: Plot holes (spoilers included) in Farseer and Tawny Man - 'thul - Jan-28-2012

Answer to such will be interesting.

RE: Plot holes (spoilers included) in Farseer and Tawny Man - Farseer - Jan-28-2012

Okay...so...I asked and I received a very prompt response from our lovely Tangle Leader (thank you Robin! Flowers ) BUT I can't give you the details as Robin gave them to me. No, sorry, but I can't. This is because Robin feels, and I agree, that such email communication, like communication via letter, is personal and private communication (different to usual, I asked my question in an email setting, and not in a public one like the Newsgroup, as I was concerned about spoilers).

Uhhuh

Blink

Down

Mad

Rant

Crying

Mean, Farseer, that's just plain mean. Oh, if only I could see your faces! Big Grin

It's fair dinkum though. I've never realised it before but this is obviously why sometimes people on here can only offer that they 'do' know but not 'what' they know ...I remember something that Rendezvous (I think?) said once that sent us all into fits of despair...possibly tinged with a little bit of hate. Smiling

Still, having said that, be assured that Robin did not share anything specific with me at all (regarding Realder or otherwise!) so I am not withholding any grand secret that will nicely tie it all up with a bow for you anyway. Anything I do know, I knew even before I emailed, just as you already know now.

So, the main thing is that the discrepancy is not a plot hole. Rather it is something that once more highlights the qualities and characteristics that we already love in our dear Fool and even Fitz....though I think less of you love Fitz! We are, as we know, often at the mercy of Fitz being our narrator, and he is also often at the mercy of Fool's and others' knowledge/wisdom or what they choose to share.

For me, as I was hoping it would, the discrepancy also fits nicely with Fool’s own words to Fitz back in AQ where the scene with the Rooster Crown first took place at the plaza (where he also first announced the flight of Realder's Dragon). He said something about explaining to Fitz if he could, not wishing to keep secrets but that the secrets defied telling in words. I think he then asked Fitz to trust him. Not sure about you all but it was these words, as well as others, that confirmed for me that Fool was more aware of things than he often led Fitz to believe or allowed him to know. On a slight tangent, they keep secrets from each other but what of them are really secrets if we and they read between the lines?

I don't know. It just 'fits'. No so different than before but at least I know that it's meant to be, and not an error. So there's a riddly answer if there ever was one! Joker

RE: Plot holes (spoilers included) in Farseer and Tawny Man - Farseer - Jan-29-2012

ps Further to my post, feel free to ask Robin yourselves... Smiling ...via the Newsgroup would be a good place to start, to first ask if you can email her some questions. I am sure she would love to hear from you! Slurp

Poor Robin, who may now be inundated with the same 'Realder's Dragon' question from a mass of readers/thePlentyers! Big Grin

RE: Plot holes (spoilers included) in Farseer and Tawny Man - Brashen - Feb-11-2012

Oh! It's very sad that you cannot share it and I don't want to bother Robin with again the same question Smiling But at least I'm now aware that it isn't a plot hole. It's gonna be interesting to search for the truth the next time I'm reading the books Smiling

I got another plot hole (It's not in Farseer/Tawny Man, but in the Liveship Traders):
In the last chapter of the first book, SoM, it's said that Shreeva was wounded by the white serpent/snake (don't know the English translation). In the first chapter of the second book, MS, it's said that Maulkin got the wounds in his short fight with the white serpent/snake. I'm wondering if I read something wrong cause there isn't even a big time gap between those two chapters but the pause Robin made between writing the first and the second book...

RE: Plot holes (spoilers included) in Farseer and Tawny Man - 'thul - Feb-11-2012

These beings cannot recall such right now, so they cannot confirm/deny that one.

Another possible plot hole or contradiction is malta's escape from fregong.
The river has risen considerably since the last era of elderlings, yet there the river is same height and boathouse is near shore... Did the elderlings build it far up from the shore, or did that single exit mysteriously not sink like the rest of the city?

RE: Plot holes (spoilers included) in Farseer and Tawny Man - Brashen - Feb-12-2012

(Feb-11-2012, 10:33 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: Another possible plot hole or contradiction is malta's escape from fregong.
The river has risen considerably since the last era of elderlings, yet there the river is same height and boathouse is near shore... Did the elderlings build it far up from the shore, or did that single exit mysteriously not sink like the rest of the city?

Hm, I'm not sure, but I thought the boat house is a bit deeper and some boats are destroyed but in the end Malta and maybe the other girl (forgot her name) carry the boat up to the "island" they are standing on...

RE: Plot holes (spoilers included) in Farseer and Tawny Man - 'thul - Feb-12-2012

The impression these beings got of the boathouse is that it was placed somewhat close to the surface of the water, not beneath, but not really above either. damaged boats were from periodic flooding.

RE: Plot holes (spoilers included) in Farseer and Tawny Man - Brashen - Feb-12-2012

(Feb-12-2012, 08:06 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: The impression these beings got of the boathouse is that it was placed somewhat close to the surface of the water, not beneath, but not really above either. damaged boats were from periodic flooding.

Well... I'm not sure. Should read it again Blushing

RE: Plot holes (spoilers included) in Farseer and Tawny Man - 'thul - Feb-12-2012

Fair enough. These beings will await that.