thePlenty.net Forums
I wish it did not have to end.(MAJOR SPOILERS Farseer & TM) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: I wish it did not have to end.(MAJOR SPOILERS Farseer & TM) (/thread-168.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

I wish it did not have to end.(MAJOR SPOILERS Farseer & TM) - tbwoodlee - Jun-21-2010

Hello everyone. Over the past two months I have read The Farseer Trilogy and the Tawny Man Trilogy. I finished Fool's Fate this morning and while I am happy with the ending, I feel a sense of loss.

I took a few days off between Assassin's Quest and Fool's Errand because I knew once I finished Tawny Man that my time with Fitz would be over. Now that it is actually over I feel sad. I wish there were more books I could read and more time I could spend with all the people I have grown to know and love. I loved the books, and I loved the characters.

Do you guys have any recommendations on what I should read next?

RE: I wish it did not have to end. - Liquid Ice - Jun-21-2010

Yes I also had that feeling of sadness when Fitz's tale ended.After so many books you've read his story of growing up and in the end finding proper happiness.
Hopefully, one day, Robin will have a cross over or another story in Buckkeep where Fitz makes an appearance. Not as a lead but just for the fans P.

Anywho If you haven't already I guess your best bet is to start on the Liveship Traders Trilogy. It's set more or less in between Assassin's Quest and The Fools Errand.

RE: I wish it did not have to end. - Farseer - Jun-23-2010

I agree with Liquid Ice. The Liveship Traders are now a MUST for you, as are the Rain Wild Chronicles and the related short stories.

Welcome to the forum, tbwoodlee, and it doesn't HAVE to end...that's what's so fantastic about thePlenty...we can talk on here about Fitz and Fool forever Yay !!!!!

ps Neither do I believe that Fitz's tale has ended (it's just a pause) so don't give up yet!

RE: I wish it did not have to end. - NeverBeenWise - Jun-24-2010

I seem to recall reading something written by Robin Hobb that basically said "I had been planning to write a sequel trilogy to The Tawny Man, but so many people have yelled at me for the ending in Fool's Fate (and gotten the meaning completely wrong, and expressed their opinion that Fitz and the Fool should run off together no matter how out of character it would be, and so on) that now I don't think I have the energy to do it. But someday, if I really get the itch to, I think I'll write it - maybe after people calm down and accept the story for being complete in itself."

I'm sorry I can't remember the site... but it made me very angry at the people who flooded her with hate mail.

Yes, Farseer, YES! Please! Fitz and the Fool... Fitz and the Fool... the Fool... *dreamy eyes*

RE: I wish it did not have to end. - Liquid Ice - Jun-25-2010

I actually hope Fitz doesn't get another story dedicated to him. Sure he still has plenty of stuff that could be written about him or for him to be involved in. Such as Chalced or the Fools return. (Would be good if the Fool came back saying he saw him in another vision thing P)

But really, in my opinion, he should just be left alone in the sense of being the lead guy. He's been through enough, he's done more then most in a life time. Let him rest and do what ever it was he was doing at the end of Tawny Man. Teaching the skill and Molly ya? P

But as I said, I'd love to see him make an appearance. Or even as a main character, just not the main lead character.

RE: I wish it did not have to end. - Farseer - Jun-26-2010

You're right, NeverBeenWise, Robin did mention something similar to that but I can't remember where either (possibly her site, though I am sure there was also something significant here on thePlenty somewhere...will try and dig it up)!

Even a small hint of Fitz and Fool is enough for me...any crumbs from Tangle Leader's table will do! *begging*

RE: I wish it did not have to end. - Atthis - Oct-28-2010

Well I definitely hope that Robin eventually does write another tale about Fitz and the Fool! I trust her completely to come up with something amazing...yet again.

Now I could have put the rest if this post in a couple of other places, especially the “the ending doesn’t make sense” thread, but I think here is best since I don’t want to interrupt the interesting discussion over there, and there aren’t so many previous posts here as to put people off. It does relate to the topic…sort of. Innocent

Just in case, spoilers for Fool’s Fate below…

I have a thought/question related to the end of Fool’s Fate, or more specifically to the parting of Fitz and the Fool. Before his “resurrection” the Fool “saw” a future which he was not a part of, but in which Fitz was happy. Based on this, the Fool decides it is too dangerous for him to spend time with Fitz; since Fitz is still the catalyst but the Fool is no longer the WP, the Fool can’t risk influencing Fitz’s decisions and consequently disrupting his (and the world’s) “happy” future.* Now I distinctly remember Fitz saying (when he made the decision to revive the Fool) that he knew he could not survive the loss of the Fool, that the Fool’s death would leave him irreparably damaged (or something to that effect). If this is the case, then the “happy” Fitz of the Fool’s vision must necessarily have known the Fool was alive, and therefore must have had at least some contact with him. So why, then, should the Fool fear that he is not supposed to exist in Fitz’s (the catalyst’s) future?

I suspect I may be reading too much into a few choice sentences, but it seems to me like the tale of Fitz and the Fool truly didn’t have to end. Granted, the Fool’s last message to Fitz, “I have never been wise”, sort of makes this whole question a non-issue, since we are clearly supposed to expect them to meet again in the future. In fact, perhaps my point above is just another reason why we should expect Fitz and the Fool to meet again.

(*I should probably acknowledge that there is, of course, an entirely different reason given for why the Fool feels they must part ways, and that is his unrequited all-encompassing love for Fitz.)

RE: I wish it did not have to end. - Nuytsia - Oct-28-2010

Sorry to interrupt after Atthis' post and respond to an old one, but somehow missed this one! I think Farseer may be thinking of this post of mine that referenced Robin's explanation of why there may possibly be no further 'Farseer' books
http://forums.theplenty.net/showthread.php?tid=64&pid=1020#pid1020

(Jun-26-2010, 08:25 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: You're right, NeverBeenWise, Robin did mention something similar to that but I can't remember where either (possibly her site, though I am sure there was also something significant here on thePlenty somewhere...will try and dig it up)!

Even a small hint of Fitz and Fool is enough for me...any crumbs from Tangle Leader's table will do! *begging*

Probably not in any way related to this issue........ (but I'm dreaming it is!!!!!!!)..... was a comment Robin made on her blog in relation to the sad news of the unexpected death of her literary agent...... which was:

"I didn’t much like the last piece of advice he gave me. And I was putting off discussing it with him because, in retrospect, I already knew he was right and he would ‘win’ the discussion. Now I wish I’d called.

But, as I ended up doing with every piece of advice he gave me, I will be following it. More on that in a few months."

http://robinhobb.com/2010/09/ralph-vicinanza/

RE: I wish it did not have to end. - Rendezvous - Nov-19-2010

When last I received an email from The Hobb she hinted strongly that she may be writing more on Fitz/Fool... Im holding her to that.

RE: I wish it did not have to end. - Atthis - Nov-20-2010

Wow, fantastic news! Yay Can you give details? What exactly did she say?