thePlenty.net Forums
The grand videogame thread - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: The grand videogame thread (/thread-170.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: The grand videogame thread - Chrischa - Aug-08-2010

(Aug-08-2010, 02:08 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote:
Quote:"i can't use these things together"

That's from some adventure game, right? Discworld?

There is a video game for the Discworld series?! Cool

RE: The grand videogame thread - redchild - Aug-09-2010

I haven't been playing many video games lately...which is good in a way, since they seem to suck up all the time (time which somehow slips by anyway.) Anyway, these are some that have made some deep impressions:

The Mass Effect universe has been my most recent obsession. Beautiful game. Strong stories and complex characters. Really great sci-fi. Makes me think.
Shenmue was the first game that really stood out to me. The mood, music and atmosphere are really strong elements of the games. I'm very sorry that no plans are made for further games to continue the story (especially after a cliffhanger ending!!)
Grim Fandango is such a stylish game. I really love the snappy dialogue and art deco art direction.
The Longest Journey and it's sequel Dreamfall. Sci-fi and fantasy blended together and a very interesting concept of alternate worlds. Have to wait for the next games to come out in episodes....Dreamfall had such a cliffhanger ending Down
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic I and II. Despite it's technical flaws and production cuts, they're really such beautiful works. Apparently the story will continue in an MMORPG that's in development. So that means more waiting...

Hmph. Seems like I spend half my life waiting for the next title in a series. Dodgy

RE: The grand videogame thread - 'thul - Aug-09-2010

(Aug-09-2010, 09:30 AM (UTC))redchild Wrote: The Mass Effect universe has been my most recent obsession. Beautiful game. Strong stories and complex characters. Really great sci-fi. Makes me think.

These beings played about half of the first one, unfortunately the computer they used was in truth a bit weak for the game. They will, however, play it again on the better computer they have access to now.

(Aug-09-2010, 09:30 AM (UTC))redchild Wrote: The Longest Journey and it's sequel Dreamfall. Sci-fi and fantasy blended together and a very interesting concept of alternate worlds. Have to wait for the next games to come out in episodes....Dreamfall had such a cliffhanger ending Down

'thul have played the latter of these, but not yet the first one. Excellent game with even more potential than the producers have used. They do indeed look forward to the future of this series.

(Aug-09-2010, 09:30 AM (UTC))redchild Wrote: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic I and II. Despite it's technical flaws and production cuts, they're really such beautiful works. Apparently the story will continue in an MMORPG that's in development. So that means more waiting...
These beings have long wanted to play these two games, but they have yet to get around to that.

RE: The grand videogame thread - Nuytsia - Aug-09-2010

(Aug-08-2010, 09:27 AM (UTC))Chrischa Wrote: Not so easy it seems - I've had to put my boyfriend Dave on it, an avid videogamer since the age of ten. He says 'World of Warcraft' for the first one, no idea for the second one, and the third one could be any number of point-and-click game, but he's guessing 'Day of the Tentacle'.
Incidentally; we both love Day of the Tentacle. We played through it together a couple of years ago, and we both laughed ourselves silly! :-)

Well I couldn't say for sure if it's said in WOW as I only played it a very very short amount of time..... but I was thinking of Warcraft ..... (the much older RTS games) and I couldn't say for sure if it was 1, 2, 3 or all three!!!! It was something the orcs would say when you clicked on them to select them for tasks..... along with 'Daboo' and 'QUIT POKING ME' and 'Why do you keep touching me?'
All of which were hilariously put together into a 'song' in the sound effects folder in one of the games! (probably the third?)

Yeah I played Day of the Tentacle!!!! Twas good.

(Aug-08-2010, 11:49 AM (UTC))Liquid Ice Wrote: Easy? Haha no P. Zug zug reminds me of Warcraft 3 for some reason.
No one would happen to have the new starcraft game would they? P

1. Yeah!!! Points for ya. 2. No.

(Aug-08-2010, 02:08 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote:
Quote:"i can't use these things together"
That's from some adventure game, right? Discworld?

1. Yes 2. No (well not that I recall)

(Aug-08-2010, 05:59 PM (UTC))joost Wrote: Zak McKracken and the alien mindbenders?

What the?

(Aug-08-2010, 06:41 PM (UTC))Chrischa Wrote: There is a video game for the Discworld series?! Cool

I've played a 'Discworld Noir' adventure game.... not sure if there's any others?

Anyhoo,
'Nakamundo' is from Wizardry 8 ...... ok pretty obscure. Although I recall almost nothing of game, I always remember all these lines of dialogue from one of the characters...... he also said 'The hero he was unafraid for the enemy was weak....' and 'I find this' ..... all in a really cheesy accent which rocked.

'I can't use these things together' is from SAM AND MAX !!!!!
But yeah it could have easily been used in other adventure games for sure!
I just remember him saying it constantly (because I was always trying the wrong thing...... ok you got me, I just used the old 'try everything with everything' method of problem solving in that game!!)Blushing

RE: The grand videogame thread - Albertosaurus Rex - Aug-09-2010

(Aug-08-2010, 06:41 PM (UTC))Chrischa Wrote: There is a video game for the Discworld series?! Cool

There are three in fact. I've only played the second one, which I quite enjoyed.

RE: The grand videogame thread - Nuytsia - Aug-10-2010

Having checked out the wiki page, I am pretty sure I've also played the first Discworld game.... I've definitely played a really old one with Rincewind as the main character....

Redchild I'm totally with you there - I've not played any games for a while and they DO normally suck up way too much of my time so I'm not in any hurry to get back into it until I really feel like it.
My boyfriend played Mass Effect 2 and then got Mass Effect 1 because he hadn't played it! So now I've got both games sitting waiting for me to play!
Actually we got Dragon Age Awakenings and I started playing that (oh oh I HAVE played a game recently)..... so technically I've got that to play first. I really liked DA Origins , but thought Awakenings might just be a cashing in on the popularity of the first one... so far it seems so !!!!!!

'thul apparently ME2 is a lot better than ME1 so stick at it! (I get the impression the storyline is more enjoyable if you play 1 first)

RE: The grand videogame thread - Liquid Ice - Aug-11-2010

(Aug-10-2010, 12:09 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: 'thul apparently ME2 is a lot better than ME1 so stick at it! (I get the impression the storyline is more enjoyable if you play 1 first)

Have not got the game but from what I've heard all the decisions and plot choices you make in 1 carry on to number 2. So if you saved some dude he'll turn up in number 2.
Or something around them lines.
So yea stick at if your getting number 2.

RE: The grand videogame thread - Nuytsia - Aug-11-2010

Yeah that's right! You can play ME2 without having played ME1 but I hear it adds a lot to the story experience if you do ME1 first.
I love that storytelling part of the games......

RE: The grand videogame thread - Farseer - Aug-11-2010

Is it just me or am I the only old, useless-at-videogames person on thePlenty Alien ?

I can't even go one lap on Crash Bandicoot without commiting suicide twenty times...usually by throwing myself off a cliff of some kind! For the rest of the game, at least until someone else gets the checkered flag, I am in a corner trying to work out how to get out of it and then head in the right direction Big Grin !

Does on-line or computer chess count?! I'm good at that Proud!!

RE: The grand videogame thread - 'thul - Aug-11-2010

Pretty much everything counts. These beings play chess very irregularly, but they think they have average skill.