thePlenty.net Forums
Voyages of discovery? (spoilers for all RotE books) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Voyages of discovery? (spoilers for all RotE books) (/thread-173.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Voyages of discovery? (spoilers for all RotE books) - Nuytsia - Aug-04-2010

(Aug-03-2010, 04:37 PM (UTC))taloshield Wrote: I am not sure where I read this, but in an interview with Robin Hobb she stated that the Soldiers Son is in a completely different world and is not related at all to RotE. A child asked her if she could write about magic meeting technology and that is how that story idea began. So there may be coincidences, but they are not in any way within the same world nor separated by an ocean. They are in different planets, realms, universes, or whatever you want to call it, but either way, not in the same place.
Yeah, that was discussed in passing in page 1 of this thread.
Heheh I am not 'wishing' for them to be in the same world myself, just fun to speculate...Magic

RE: Voyages of discovery? (spoilers for all RotE books) - Farseer - Aug-09-2010

Yes, I have read a similar thing and she also had this to say about the SS trilogy in a SFFWorld interview at one time: "It does take place in a completely different world from the Farseer Trilogy. So I'm starting out with a new world, new system of magic, new characters, everything new and different."

As Nuytsia mentioned, it is fun to speculate though, and I also thought varying degrees of technology and advancement between and within worlds/lands an interesting topic even generally Smiling . Really, it is differences such as these that have motivated us to travel, trade or conquer etc throughout our own history, much as takes place within the RotE and Gernian worlds.

Going on from my post about the Elderlings having had their progression etc interrupted...possibly they had even intended to one day dot the entire landscape with Skill pillars (assuming that they knew how to use them correctly, with few side-effects to the user!) but had not completed even a large portion of that task when the cataclysm took place? With the placement of such Skill pillars, the need for sea-faring vessels for voyages could gradually be superseded? They may only have got to the stage where they had put pillars in place to and from those locations which were of immediate importance to them, with a view to progressive expansion.

The simulacra with the wizardwood arrow in its chest (located at The Barrens) intrigues me, and makes me wonder what other conflicts or difficulties the Elderlings may have had to face throughout their history, besides those that came in the form of natural disasters. No doubt they and dragons, and also coteries, had enemies in the past, just as they have had more recently.

I enjoyed your insightful posts, maulkin Clapping, and thanks also for the discussion link!

RE: Voyages of discovery? (spoilers for all RotE books) - Farseer - Sep-01-2010

I was looking for something else altogether and came across this little passage in Ship Of Magic that may be of interest to this thread. Ronica was recalling times when she and Ephron had made plans for what they'd do once their kids were grown and the Vivacia paid for etc. Ephron had once said,'...I've a mind to carry you off with me to the Perfume Isles. Would you fancy that? Twelvemonth of clean salt air and naught to do but be the captain's lady? And then, when we get there...'

From this passage it is possible that southerly travel and discovery has been quite extensive, and for quite a long way south of Bingtown etc if one can travel by liveship for a full year prior to reaching a destination?

RE: Voyages of discovery? (spoilers for all RotE books) - Nuytsia - Sep-12-2010

A YEAR whoa!! Yes that's a very long way .... hmmmmm

RE: Voyages of discovery? (spoilers for all RotE books) - Rendezvous - Sep-26-2010

Im very new here so forgive me, I dont know how to do the 'box' thing.
Farseer said
"The Great Sail Fleet trades with and makes a transoceanic voyage west to Jamaillia every four years however there is no mention (that I know of) of anyone journeying TO the region from where the Great Sail Fleet hails. Is it possible that it is near their shores that the disappearing Others Island ships emerge? "
I always assumed that the Fools homeland was the place that the Great Sails Fleet came from, and although im not sure which book i read it in, I remember a mention of a white boy who arrived with one and went on to beg passage to the six duchies from the Satrap? The birthing place of the Great Sail Fleet of probably the last in the far south east mentioned on the map in Asvejal.

RE: Voyages of discovery? (spoilers for all RotE books) - Farseer - Sep-27-2010

(Sep-26-2010, 11:43 AM (UTC))Rendezvous Wrote: I always assumed that the Fools homeland was the place that the Great Sails Fleet came from, and although im not sure which book i read it in, I remember a mention of a white boy who arrived with one and went on to beg passage to the six duchies from the Satrap? The birthing place of the Great Sail Fleet of probably the last in the far south east mentioned on the map in Asvejal.

Well met, Rendezvous, and welcome to thePlenty!

I have to agree that I, too, have had the same thoughts, and also remember reading that passage regarding the Satrap somewhere. Lord Golden's intimate knowledge of the Satrap's court etc always seemed to confirm that he had spent time there prior to arrival at Buckkeep. Satrap Esclepius was also very interested in the 'religion' of the White Prophet and therefore paid handsomely for any works regarding the White Prophet and related prophecies.

In Fool’s Fate, it certainly seemed to me that Fool's 'coast of a land far to the south and east of Buckkeep', that he saw on the Elderling map in the Aslevjal map tower, was also describing the home of the Great Sail Fleet. Jamaillia is the only known point on the entire coast where the Great Sail Fleet docks.

Just had a quick look through the chapter blurbs of FF and found the passage regarding the Satrap. It’s at the beginning of Chapter Twenty-One, ‘The Pale Woman’.

I am thinking I've made an error in the quote you mentioned, Rendezvous, as I'm fairly certain that it's actually every three years that the voyage is made, not four. Will have to double-check which is correct as I have been known to be wrong many times P !

As for the quote box, you just have to click on the 'Reply' tab (not the 'New Reply' tab) and the former post should come up in your text box. I've been on here for a little while now but am still clueless about lots of things!

RE: Voyages of discovery? (spoilers for all RotE books) - Mervi - Sep-28-2010

(Sep-27-2010, 03:51 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: As for the quote box, you just have to click on the 'Reply' tab (not the 'New Reply' tab) and the former post should come up in your text box.
Correct. Smiling Unless you have clicked on the symbol next to it with the green + sign (it changes to – if you do that), that should remove quotes from the reply box. Or if you simply use the "quick reply" box at the bottom of each page, nothing will be quoted either.

RE: Voyages of discovery? (spoilers for all RotE books) - Farseer - Oct-04-2010

(Sep-28-2010, 10:32 AM (UTC))Mervi Wrote: Correct. Smiling Unless you have clicked on the symbol next to it with the green + sign (it changes to – if you do that), that should remove quotes from the reply box. Or if you simply use the "quick reply" box at the bottom of each page, nothing will be quoted either.

Mervi, my box seems to always include quotes even if I do click or unclick the +/- icons. Possibly I'm not doing it correctly though? Still, I have never founded I've needed it so just letting you know for the sake of communication.

RE: Voyages of discovery? (spoilers for all RotE books) - 'thul - Oct-04-2010

If you wish to post without the quote(s), just use the "quick reply" box or the "new reply" button...

RE: Voyages of discovery? (spoilers for all RotE books) - Nuytsia - Oct-22-2010

I have no idea which thread to put this in - there's no threads based on pirates or Liveships series?
OK I'm putting it here - sorry if there was a better place...! I don't think it really justifies a new thread?

Just a minor point of interest - Robin was saying in her newsgroup (if I understood her correctly! I hope I did) that she based the pirate isles on the real life history of Australia. Yay us!
She's referring to our convict past (yes I know most of us aren't descended from convicts!) but I'm not 100% sure if she means the pirate isles as they were at the start of Liveships (ie convicts = pirates) or at the end of Liveships (convicts = mix of pirates and ex-slaves).
I guess she might be referring mainly to the slaves, as they are people who have 'gained freedom'. Although the slaves aren't necessarily law-breakers, but pirates are, so maybe it's the mix thing!

Anyhoo, interesting that our history sparked that.

I would be a lot more miffed at not having any convict ancestors (AFAIK anyway) if they were actual PIRATES!
Pirate