thePlenty.net Forums
Predictions (MAJOR progressive spoilers on all books) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Gernia (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Predictions (MAJOR progressive spoilers on all books) (/thread-175.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Predictions (MAJOR progressive spoilers on all books) - Chrischa - Aug-03-2010

(Aug-02-2010, 09:34 AM (UTC))joost Wrote: Finished book 1 yesterday morning. I remember again what I didn't like about the books:
- Colonialism in its worst form
- Too much religion
- "Women are barter material"

I agree, but then I always found that these themes are in the book as a critiscism on our own society.

What was it I read the other day...? Art is the means by which humanity studies itself. I think that's certainly true for these books. It's the same vile, narrow-minded attitude that prevailed in Europe in colonial times. There wasn't a worse time for other people to be "discovered" then during those years with that mindset.

RE: Predictions (MAJOR progressive spoilers on all books) - Farseer - Aug-09-2010

(Aug-03-2010, 11:01 AM (UTC))Chrischa Wrote:
(Aug-02-2010, 09:34 AM (UTC))joost Wrote: Finished book 1 yesterday morning. I remember again what I didn't like about the books:
- Colonialism in its worst form
- Too much religion
- "Women are barter material"

I agree, but then I always found that these themes are in the book as a critiscism on our own society.

What was it I read the other day...? Art is the means by which humanity studies itself. I think that's certainly true for these books.

Agreed, Chrischa!! Does all this mean you gave up, joost, or are you still going P ?!

RE: Predictions (MAJOR progressive spoilers on all books) - joost - Aug-09-2010

Just started Renegade's magic, so no, I'm not giving up.

Yes, I know that they're meant as criticism of our society. But that doesn't mean that I have to like it.

RE: Predictions (MAJOR progressive spoilers on all books) - Farseer - Aug-24-2010

Finished, joost?

I am interested to read an expansion of your comments, particularly 'women are barter material' as this could also be said of the RotE books? *trying to cast mind back to Gernia!*

Although possibly it could be included as an addition to the Gernia vs RotE thread if you are going to compare?

As for European times, it is all really so different now?

RE: Predictions (MAJOR progressive spoilers on all books) - joost - Aug-24-2010

Finished last week. I think they're good books, but I still don't like the Gernians.

Women barter material in RotE? I can't think of anything that compares to Yaril's or Epiny's treatment (that someone else decides for their future, merely based on the fact they're women). Men are of course treated in the same way (as a second son, you have no choice but to become a soldier's son), but for some reason that doesn't bother me as much. At the end of the books there's a change visible though.

I guess it's just my natural reaction to overzealous people.

RE: Predictions (MAJOR progressive spoilers on all books) - Nuytsia - Jan-11-2011

I don't know, the Chalcedeans and some of those in Jamailla don't seem to treat women very well!
(I'm thinking of Malta on the ship I think..?)

RE: Predictions (MAJOR progressive spoilers on all books) - Farseer - Jan-11-2011

I don't know how many times I've meant to come back here to respond but I get lazy with spoiler tags these days. Smiling Very slack of me...

I agree, Nuytsia (hello! P). I think that there are a number of instances in the RotE where "someone else decides for their future, merely based on the fact they're women". The one that jumps out at me immediately is ** Liveshp Traders spoiler as this is a Gernia thread **

(Aug-24-2010, 10:07 AM (UTC))joost Wrote: but I still don't like the Gernians.

Oh, I must strongly agree!

RE: Predictions (MAJOR progressive spoilers on all books) - Nuytsia - Jan-12-2011

Hello! Smiling
I most totally agree.... and