thePlenty.net Forums
What is your approach to series? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What is your approach to series? (/thread-176.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: What is your approach to series? - 'thul - Jul-23-2010

comics is a bit different... just try to compare the number of pages...

RE: What is your approach to series? - joost - Jul-24-2010

'Comics' and 'graphic novels' are two different things Smiling.

RE: What is your approach to series? - Nuytsia - Jul-25-2010

(Jul-23-2010, 05:52 PM (UTC))joost Wrote: Wheel of time is currently 11 books (book 12 will be published in october, I think), and probably will be 14 or 15 when it's done.
Fables is currently 13 volumes and going, but I don't know if you can compare graphic novels with written books.

Heheh yeah I was thinking to myself, geees even Wheel of Time isn't even 15 books!
That's my standard.

I would say it's reasonably uncommon.....

RE: What is your approach to series? - 'thul - Jul-25-2010

These beings have to agree after looking facts over.

RE: What is your approach to series? - Albertosaurus Rex - Jul-26-2010

(Jul-24-2010, 12:10 PM (UTC))joost Wrote: 'Comics' and 'graphic novels' are two different things Smiling.

I thought graphic novels was just an upmarket term for comics. You know, to make it sound like acceptable literature instead of "lowbrow" comics.

RE: What is your approach to series? - Farseer - Aug-13-2010

I don't have an 'approach'...just go with what I feel like at the time. Sometimes it's for the author, sometimes the title, sometimes the blurb on the back, sometimes just for the cover and sometimes just 'feminine instinct' P !!

With the exception of the Tomorrow series by John Marsden (I HATED it!!), I've never regretted a decision to go the whole hog and buy an entire series without ever having read one of the books...they've usually turned out ok.

I am someone who likes to buy the book rather than just borrow it, even if it does end up being a bad read, but if I happen to borrow first, I always buy later if I even remotely liked the book...I think it's important to read everything, not just what I enjoy, especially for the sake of conversations with my family ie my sons loved the Tomorrow series and to be able to draw comparisions between good and not-so-good stories and writing. Having said that, I am going to take the plunge one day and look into the Twilight series to see what the fuss is all about. I'm not looking forward to it at all but then I felt the same way about the Harry Potter series and was pleasantly surprised. I think Twilight may be a bit more love story-ish that I'd like but time will tell?!

My only regrets would stem from the financial side of things eg I saw the entire thirteen books of Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events (for young readers) in Townsville the other day and bought them all for about $280...then I looked for them on the Book Depository when I got back to a computer and found I could have bought the series for half the price and no postage. Yes, I kicked myself Rant !!!

RE: What is your approach to series? - Albertosaurus Rex - Aug-13-2010

(Aug-13-2010, 01:08 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: My only regrets would stem from the financial side of things eg I saw the entire thirteen books of Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events (for young readers) in Townsville the other day and bought them all for about $280...then I looked for them on the Book Depository when I got back to a computer and found I could have bought the series for half the price and no postage. Yes, I kicked myself Rant !!!

[Image: eek2.gif] Yeah, I would feel pretty bad about that too. I wish I had the budget to buy books like that.

RE: What is your approach to series? - Nuytsia - Aug-13-2010

(Aug-13-2010, 01:08 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: I am someone who likes to buy the book rather than just borrow it, even if it does end up being a bad read, but if I happen to borrow first, I always buy later if I even remotely liked the book...

Whoa ... I wish I had the bookshelf space to do that!!!!

Also, I haven't bought a thing from a bookstore since I discovered the Book Depository! EVERYTHING is cheaper there.

Not that I buy much at all ..... I like the library cos I save on storage space, money, and (sorry I'll sound like a greenie now Dodgy ) resources (paper, ink, energy etc).

I actually like building a huge collection of books. When I visit other people's homes, I always check out their bookshelves. "Show me your bookshelf, and I'll tell you who you are", as an old Dutch proverb goes.

My bookshelves have been getting awfully crowded lately, though. I might have to start putting rows before rows and selecting after that has run its course...

Ladies and gentlemen, we have ourselves... another spambot!