thePlenty.net Forums
What is your approach to series? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: What is your approach to series? (/thread-176.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: What is your approach to series? - Farseer - Feb-28-2012

(Aug-13-2010, 12:50 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: [Image: eek2.gif]

I've finally stumbled across AR's jaw-dropping guy again...and I wasn't even searching for it this time! Yay

As for series, I bought my daughter the Narnia Chronicles a while back. They are all bound into the one book and, while it seemed like a good idea at the time, I feel like I've short-changed myself and my bookshelf...I think I'd rather have had the individual books on display.

I'm also getting grumpy in my old age, and have started not buying books within a series until the series is finished...unless it's from the pen of our Tangle Leader of course! Joker

RE: What is your approach to series? - Valarya - Feb-28-2012

I cannot skip around from series to series. I'm the type of person who reads it straight through, back-to-back, even if it is a 12 book series. Book

I have a very vivid imagination and one of my favorite things about reading is being transported to another world. Once I'm in the world... I don't want to leave it; even when the story is finished I don't want to leave it. This is why I always give myself about a month between big series so I have some time to soak it in. Proud

If I've been recommended a series or I know it's going to be good (an author I know), I buy the whole thing. If it's a new author I found and have only read some amazon reviews, I usually just buy the 1st book and see what happens. There has been a time or two where I never finished the 1st book and was glad I didn't buy the rest. P You just never know!!

RE: What is your approach to series? - FoolishGirl - Feb-28-2012

(Feb-28-2012, 03:05 PM (UTC))Valarya Wrote: I have a very vivid imagination and one of my favorite things about reading is being transported to another world. Once I'm in the world... I don't want to leave it; even when the story is finished I don't want to leave it. This is why I always give myself about a month between big series so I have some time to soak it in. Proud
A friend of mine did his psychology thesis on people who are "transported" while reading, as you describe. Apparently some people experience this much more intensely than others. Not sure what the technical term is, but I am certainly one of those people.

What a great feeling to find an author/book/series that does that to you. The series that paricularly did that for me: RH (mostly the Farseer and Fool triologies, not the others), Harry Potter, LOTR, His Dark Materials, Patrick Rothfuss and GRRM/ASoIaF.

RE: What is your approach to series? - 'thul - Feb-28-2012

Too much about the mind is still unknown, hence the lack of knowledge about it.
A vivid imagination is a common trait in those that can "transport" themselves...

(Feb-28-2012, 06:36 PM (UTC))FoolishGirl Wrote: What a great feeling to find an author/book/series that does that to you.

Ahhhh, absolutely it is! Wub Book

(Feb-28-2012, 06:36 PM (UTC))FoolishGirl Wrote: The series that paricularly did that for me: RH (mostly the Farseer and Fool triologies, not the others), Harry Potter, LOTR, His Dark Materials, Patrick Rothfuss and GRRM/ASoIaF.

Likewise on ALL of the above!!! Clapping

Here are some other ones that have certainly transported me just as much:

Coldfire Trilogy by CS Friedman
Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone series by Greg Keyes
The Abhorsen Trilogy by Garth Nix
The Sevenwaters Trilogy by Juliet Marillier
The Bridei Chronicles by Juliet Marillier
Ender's Game and other Ender novels by Orson Scott Card
Dune and all the other Dune series books by Frank Herbert

RE: What is your approach to series? - FoolishGirl - Feb-28-2012

(Feb-28-2012, 06:45 PM (UTC))Valarya Wrote: Here are some other ones that have certainly transported me just as much:

Coldfire Trilogy by CS Friedman
Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone series by Greg Keyes
The Abhorsen Trilogy by Garth Nix
The Sevenwaters Trilogy by Juliet Marillier
The Bridei Chronicles by Juliet Marillier
Ender's Game and other Ender novels by Orson Scott Card
Dune and all the other Dune series books by Frank Herbert

I have not read any of the above and now they are on my list!
Can't wait to find out if I'm transported Boat
Thanks for the list Thankful

(Feb-28-2012, 07:39 PM (UTC))FoolishGirl Wrote: I have not read any of the above and now they are on my list!
Can't wait to find out if I'm transported Boat
Thanks for the list Thankful

Blink

Okay, okay. Stop.

If you like Sci-Fi: First on the list THAT IS A MUST (because it's been voted the #1 sci-fi book on the planet for like 50 years) is: Ender's Game. You can totally read it as a stand-alone and are not required to read the rest of its series to get any kind of 'full story.'

Go... shooo... Knight

Fall in to the world of beloved Ender. Flowers

rather difficult to do that, Valarya. Cant do something that has already been done.

(Feb-28-2012, 08:08 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: rather difficult to do that, Valarya. Cant do something that has already been done.

I wasn't talking to you beings. P

sure you were...

*glamors Valarya into agreeing*