thePlenty.net Forums
The Gypsy - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Seattle and beyond (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: The Gypsy (/thread-177.html)

The Gypsy - Albertosaurus Rex - Jul-12-2010

What did you guys think of The Gypsy? For me, it was one of the very few works by RH/ML that I didn't enjoy. I just didn't get it. It was a vague, disjointed series of events and those gypsy brothers came from distant lands or another world or something like that? No, I didn't like it.

RE: The Gypsy - Albertosaurus Rex - Oct-05-2010

What, nobody else has read this book?

RE: The Gypsy - Nuytsia - Oct-07-2010

Not me!

RE: The Gypsy - KekPafrany - Mar-08-2012

I will read it soon.

I am very curious, because of the hungarian words in it (Nagypapa, Anya, etc)

RE: The Gypsy - KekPafrany - Jan-16-2015

I have read it. This book is so weird.

The story was straggly and chaotic, and I can't forgive it that. I know, we read it as the Gypsy perceived it, but honestly? I tried read it three times, and I succeeded only on the third try to finish it.

So I forced myself to read it, because well.. it is about Hungarian mythology, and I was curious. I understood the names and other Hungarian texts, so there was no mystical or arcane feeling for me in them (but I understand that it should be).

I don't know if I should hide this but better safe than sorry:

RE: The Gypsy - Mervi - Mar-11-2015

I should really re-read this book. To be honest, I think my comprehension of English wasn't that good back in the day when I first read it and that didn't help, because it isn't the easiest book to read anyway. Kek, it's interesting what you say about the lack of mystical feeling when you know about the mythology already. Do you think it would be the case with any book that borrowed those materials, or did you feel it was something in particular about how the subject matter was dealt with in this story? I'm trying to think back on the few modern books I've read that have dealt with Finnish mythology and if I felt that way too, but I can't think of having read anything where it being mysterious would have been the point as such.

I'm quite a fan of the Boiled in Lead CD based on/inspired by this book by the way - there are several songs that I really love.

RE: The Gypsy - woody90 - Jun-09-2015

Im about to start reading it. Ill let you know what I think.

//thanks but no thanks w/ the spam links - Mervi

RE: The Gypsy - KekPafrany - May-30-2017

I was curious what I wrote in the spoiler tag, and didn't work, so I corrected it.. Sure, it is a late edit Big Grin

RE: The Gypsy - KekPafrany - May-30-2017

(Mar-11-2015, 10:09 AM (UTC))Mervi Wrote:  Kek, it's interesting what you say about the lack of mystical feeling when you know about the mythology already. Do you think it would be the case with any book that borrowed those materials, or did you feel it was something in particular about how the subject matter was dealt with in this story?

I think I'm looking for mystery and unknown. I'm not always content when something revealed, sometimes I feel a loss like "Whas this all THIS?!". 
Hobb is great in creating mystery and I love thinking about them while reading them. Smiling

When there is a name that means something in foreign language and you do or don't know what, you just "listen" to it, and it sounds strange, and the foreign language gives it a second layer. I think the same song has an advantage when sung in a different language than in your mother tongue, because you perceive it more complex, more deep.

RE: The Gypsy - Mervi - May-31-2017

Good to see you again Kek! Smiling

I very much agree with what you're saying about foreign language giving another layer to these things. And I have another question if you don't mind: did you think the Hungarian folk themes were used in a way that followed traditions, or was it more like they picked some suitable characters/terms and played with them freely? (I realise I know quite literally nothing about Hungarian mythology/folklore, do you happen to have any recommendations for what I could/should read?)