thePlenty.net Forums
Assassins's Fate discussion (spoilers all rote books) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Assassins's Fate discussion (spoilers all rote books) (/thread-1770.html)

Pages: 1 2

Assassins's Fate discussion (spoilers all rote books) - Amret - May-07-2017

So I finished the book a couple of days ago now and I think I'm gonna have to re-read it before I really take it all in. Anyone ready to discuss it all yet? I don't even know where to start...

RE: Assassins's Fate discussion (spoilers all rote books) - Manicgirl - May-08-2017

I will have to reread it as well, still reeling from all the feelings. I loved how it tied together all the books from the RotE series, but I sometimes felt there were too many characters, taking focus away from Fitz and his journey.

I was surprised so few of the characters died, I had expected there to be much more casualties. I really grew to dislike Chade in the Fitz & the Fool triology (and I hate his children), so I was not sad to see him go.

I would have expected Fitz to be able to fill a stonedragon much easier than Verity, what with all he has been through, and with the help of nighteyes. But he seemed to need help with his much, much smaller stone wolf. Maybe Verity's ability with the skill made it easier for him to fill his dragon?

I loved the book. It felt like a real closure after all these years. It was sad, it was fitting, it was inevitable.

RE: Assassins's Fate discussion (spoilers all rote books) - MageGary - May-09-2017

I was left with so many questions at the end that I was hoping would have been resolved! To be honest, I was really disappointed that Chalced under Duchess Chassim seemed very similar to Chalced under her father. I thought Chassim would have cracked down on slavery after her experiences with Selden in Blood of Dragons, but Bee's experiences suggested that slavery is still very much accepted and supported by the state. I was hoping to get some sort of explanation of why this was, but we never saw or even heard news of Chassim or Selden :-(

RE: Assassins's Fate discussion (spoilers all rote books) - Mervi - May-09-2017

I've just finished reading and it's too early for me to say anything about the book itself. But I want to welcome you all to the forums - it's been very quiet here for quite a time now and it's really nice to see new faces. Smiling Please feel free to start new threads and/or add to the old ones and don't hesitate to ask if you need anything!

RE: Assassins's Fate discussion (spoilers all rote books) - solarus - May-10-2017

(May-08-2017, 12:34 PM (UTC))Manicgirl Wrote: I would have expected Fitz to be able to fill a stonedragon much easier than Verity, what with all he has been through, and with the help of nighteyes. But he seemed to need help with his much, much smaller stone wolf. Maybe Verity's ability with the skill made it easier for him to fill his dragon?

Verity was more highly trained in the Skill than Fitz, that is true. But Verity also had Kestrel to help him - and she was 300 years old and a true master of the Skill - while Fitz was alone(ish) until Beloved joined him.

RE: Assassins's Fate discussion (spoilers all rote books) - Bananafish - May-15-2017

Well, at least the massive beings in the skill stream were explained. I wonder if Fitz/Fool/Nighteyes will join Verity's big fish. or become one of their own.

I just finished it last night. Not sure I like the ending. I felt there could have been more effort to heal him with skill or silver. Entire coteries were there that could have lent Fitz the strength to withstand a skill healing. Poor Bee...

RE: Assassins's Fate discussion (spoilers all rote books) - Germ - May-15-2017

What a perfect ending. There's really no better way to send Fitz off. I loved that Bee tricked Fool into joining him, although I wish there was a bit more detail. It seemed so sudden that Fool changed his mind, and then he was gone.

My only complaint is one I have for most of Hobb's endings. There is such meticulous detail to every scene in the opening chapters, but that falls away as we approach the ending and she begins to rush. I love the "tea drinking" chapters people complain about. I wish there was more tea time with the Liveship characters. They didn't feel like the same, fiery people I loved so much. Of course, it doesn't help that Fitz and Bee are so anti-social and avoided them all the time.

Or maybe I was reading too fast lol. It's hard to tell. Despite that, I loved the book and can't wait to re-read the series.

RE: Assassins's Fate discussion (spoilers all rote books) - aernoth - May-19-2017

Just finished the last book. Some thoughts about peripheral things. Was Clerres built of dragon bones? Were the tops of the towers actual dragon skulls? Finally, when the wolf shakes and 'rock chips' fly off. Were those the worms being cast out?

RE: Assassins's Fate discussion (spoilers all rote books) - KekPafrany - May-28-2017

I finished yesterday and I feel forged. I have to accept that no more Fitz. I feel cheated by that inevitable worm infection by the whites.

RE: Assassins's Fate discussion (spoilers all rote books) - KekPafrany - May-28-2017

When Nighteyes told Fitz about the skill travel, I noticed a missing name: Chivalry wasn't there. Why? I mean if I meet some long dead relatives using our hereditary magic, I would expect my dead dad among them.

The only difference I see between him and the others that Fitz hasn't know him, and Chivalry's dead wasn't caused by the Skill.