thePlenty.net Forums
Humans and Dragons *contains spoilers for Liveship and Tawny Man books* - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Humans and Dragons *contains spoilers for Liveship and Tawny Man books* (/thread-18.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Humans and Dragons *contains spoilers for Liveship and Tawny Man books* - redchild - Aug-11-2010

Sorry if any of this has already been said. My memory's a bit fuzzy on the Tawny man series, but I'll add my two cents after having read Dragon Haven.

It seems like the Fool is trying to break that cycle the Pale Woman was so bent on perpetuating. Somewhat like the Buddhist concept of reincarnation until a being reaches enlightenment and can escape from the cycle of destruction and rebirth. I don't remember exactly, but I think a Prophet's purpose is to keep humanity on the right track towards that enlightenment. The Pale Woman wants keep humans on the track they are traversing-- possibly to the humans' eventual demise. The Fool looks so radical compared to the PW's ambitions. He is literally lifting the entire "wagon" of humanity off the trail and Fitz is his lever. Maybe he wants to bring dragons back from extinction for a rebirth not only of the dragons, but also as humans who may have the chance to be "rebirthed" as Elderlings.

Of course, there is no guarantee that humans and dragons will get along. They might end up destroying each other; just the sort of destruction the PW advocated. That Fitz had also broken the Fool's
prophecy of having died after bringing dragons back, is just another reason to believe that: nobody knows what comes next.

The dragons probably act a check for the humans, and vice versa. If you look at the world today, irl, humans are a danger to themselves mainly because most humans are blind to their own flaws and hubris and cannot seem to remember their own history to prevent catastrophes from happening. Perhaps presenting humans with such powerful beings that are nevertheless dependent on humans is a way to curb homo-centric egotism. They have a completely different view of humans as short-live, petty creatures. And in a way they have a point. So many human troubles are really so petty, yet they never seem to progress past their pettiness.

Meanwhile dragon ego's are so inflated compared to humans that they almost reach the point of caricature. They think they are so above humans, yet most behaviors we've seen are animal behaviors: eating, sleeping, mating, etc. They do not build cities or pursue science or create art. They seem, by nature, to be absolute hedonists. The humans remind them that while they may be more powerful, they still rely on human endeavors to continue their lifestyle.

Also, are White Prophets are connected directly with dragons/Elderlings, or was this solely an isolated incident between the Fool and Pale Woman? Also, where do you think the Others fit into this equation?