thePlenty.net Forums
How did you get involved with RotE (spoilers Farseer, TM & Soldier Son) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: How did you get involved with RotE (spoilers Farseer, TM & Soldier Son) (/thread-182.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: How did you get involved with RotE - 'thul - Mar-05-2012

Interesting way to get into it. These beings think your english looks rather good now. Sole difference is in the way you write, which is perfectly understandable, yet indicates you have a "foreigner's" way of using a language.

RE: How did you get involved with RotE - Farseer - Mar-05-2012

Welcome to thePlenty, KekPafrany!! Slurp It was wonderful to read how you were introduced to the realm, and it's just fantastic to have you here with us - well met! Grouphug

RE: How did you get involved with RotE - fool-ish - Mar-05-2012

Hello and welcome KekPakfrany Smiling

My tale's very boring. I read reviews on Amazon and just had to give it a go. The rest, as they say, is history. Slurp

RE: How did you get involved with RotE - Valarya - Mar-06-2012

Welcome to thePlenty, KekPakfrany! Grouphug

I was reading George R. R. Martin's website where he has a "What I'm Reading" section. He lists the books he has currently read and gives a little review on them. He gave Robin a rave-review so I picked her books up first. The last Tawny man book had just come out, I believe. Smiling

RE: How did you get involved with RotE - Narya - Mar-06-2012

I hang out on a Lord of the Rings forum where Hobb's books came up several times highly recommended. I felt uncomfortable reading a book called "Assassin's Apprentice", so I started with the Liveship Trilogy, loved it, then broke down and started AA, loved that too, and have been reading and rereading everything Hobbian I can get my hands on ever since. Currently re-reading Liveship Trilogy, which makes a lot more sense, now that I've read the Farseer trilogy.

RE: How did you get involved with RotE - KekPafrany - Mar-06-2012

Thank you all for the warm welcoming Smiling Yours is a very friendly community Grouphug

RE: How did you get involved with RotE - 'thul - Mar-06-2012

Indeed. It is very friendly. Provided you serve dragonkind, as all humans should.

RE: How did you get involved with RotE - KekPafrany - Mar-08-2012

It is nice to see a fellow predator here, however I do not wish to serve, I am just looking for my pack. Wink

(Mar-06-2012, 11:13 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: Indeed. It is very friendly. Provided you serve dragonkind, as all humans should.

RE: How did you get involved with RotE - londonlassie - Aug-19-2012

I read them all in the wrong order. I started with Liveships when I was about thirteen and whining because I had nothing decent to read, and my mother - very vexed - threw Ship Of Magic at my head and told me it was decent and ought to shut me up for a couple of days.

I turned into a Kennit fan faster than Vivacia, devoured the whole series in a matter of days, spent another couple of days crying over how sad his story was, then went out and bought the Farseer series.

I wasn't impressed, didn't link to the story or characters, and felt very sad because I only managed to struggle my way through it rather than gobbling it up like I did LST. My mother bought me the Tawny Man trilogy, which I was reluctant to read because it was about the same characters I didn't gel with in the Assassin trilogy, but weirdly I managed those in a few days as well, and really enjoyed them, despite still not linking with the protagonist.

I haven't read Soldier Son, but my mother did, and since she was full of praise for the other Hobb books and said she hated SS - and since most people on Hobb forums seem to dislike it - I decided not to buy them. And I've chugged down the Dragon Keeper series, minus COD which I haven't bought yet.

RE: How did you get involved with RotE - 'thul - Aug-19-2012

Not uncommon order of reading, that one... and not the worst sort either... though they occur after each other, the farseer and the liveship series are the most independent of RotE.

These beings too quite simply did not like SS. There was something wrong about it.