thePlenty.net Forums
How did you get involved with RotE (spoilers Farseer, TM & Soldier Son) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: How did you get involved with RotE (spoilers Farseer, TM & Soldier Son) (/thread-182.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: How did you get involved with RotE - fool-ish - Aug-19-2012

Also guilty of not quite getting SS Blushing

RE: How did you get involved with RotE - londonlassie - Aug-19-2012

At least we're all guilty of the same thing, fool-ish Wink

RE: How did you get involved with RotE - fool-ish - Aug-19-2012

Aye, there is that Big Grin

RE: How did you get involved with RotE - joost - Aug-20-2012

I bought SS when it was released, and while it's different than RotE, it's not as bad as it's depicted. I must admit that after my first read I was quite negative about it, but that's not because of the books, but because of my expectations not living up. Nevare is still not on my top 1000 of favourite characters in Hobb's books, but Spink and Epiny make up for that.

RE: How did you get involved with RotE - fool-ish - Aug-20-2012

(Aug-20-2012, 10:39 AM (UTC))joost Wrote: I bought SS when it was released, and while it's different than RotE, it's not as bad as it's depicted. I must admit that after my first read I was quite negative about it, but that's not because of the books, but because of my expectations not living up. Nevare is still not on my top 1000 of favourite characters in Hobb's books, but Spink and Epiny make up for that.

Spink and Epiny were the only saving grace...Nevare was far too straight-laced for my liking, and though I think things may have gotten a bit more exciting in the next books, I could never quite visualise Nevare as anything other than boring. Perhaps I'll read them one day, mainly because I think I should, rather than because I want to, which doesn't particularly bode well..

RE: How did you get involved with RotE - 'thul - Aug-21-2012

There's no point in reading any book "because you should"...

Nevare isn't on 'thul's long list of greatest characters. He is on the list of worst characters, though...

RE: How did you get involved with RotE - londonlassie - Aug-21-2012

What would prompt me to read the books is that several people have said that Nevare is similar to Fitz, and yet they dislike Nevare and love Fitz. So there must be some kind of huge difference between them which renders one likeable and the other the opposite.

But in all honesty I doubt I'd read them, after the amount of negative reviews I've heard. Better to stick to ROTE. Book

On another random note, "Olikea" and "Epiny" are some great names. I wish I had Hobb's naming talent when it comes to my novels.

RE: How did you get involved with RotE - fool-ish - Aug-21-2012

Really? Nevare similar to Fitz? I don't see any similarity at all. Nevare didn't drag me through the wringer like Fitz did..ever!

RE: How did you get involved with RotE - 'thul - Aug-21-2012

The sole similarity these beings see is that they at times were fools.

RE: How did you get involved with RotE - fool-ish - Aug-21-2012

(Aug-21-2012, 08:07 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: The sole similarity these beings see is that they at times were fools.
Yeah, I have to agree with that one. I didn't shout at Nevare, though.