thePlenty.net Forums
How did you get involved with RotE (spoilers Farseer, TM & Soldier Son) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: How did you get involved with RotE (spoilers Farseer, TM & Soldier Son) (/thread-182.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: How did you get involved with RotE (spoilers Farseer, TM & Soldier Son) - londonlassie - Aug-29-2012

The 'thul beings have the advantage of being able to argue with themselves...no doubt these arguments are far easier to win P

RE: How did you get involved with RotE (spoilers Farseer, TM & Soldier Son) - 'thul - Aug-29-2012

its strange, these beings almost always win those arguments...

RE: How did you get involved with RotE (spoilers Farseer, TM & Soldier Son) - mmmmmmm - Aug-29-2012

I was googling something to do with ginger a couple of years ago and stumbled across the blog Jackie Morris has for her ginger cats which I enjoyed reading every now and then. I would sometimes look at her own blog and one day I read something about her covers for Robin Hobb's books. Later the same day I was in a charity shop looking for something to read and they were selling AA. The rest is history...

RE: How did you get involved with RotE (spoilers Farseer, TM & Soldier Son) - fool-ish - Aug-29-2012

Big Grin The rest is history..you mean you were hooked, like the rest of us! Slurp

RE: How did you get involved with RotE (spoilers Farseer, TM & Soldier Son) - Farseer - Aug-30-2012

(Aug-29-2012, 10:18 PM (UTC))mmmmmmm Wrote: I was googling something to do with ginger a couple of years ago and stumbled across the blog Jackie Morris has for her ginger cats which I enjoyed reading every now and then. I would sometimes look at her own blog and one day I read something about her covers for Robin Hobb's books. Later the same day I was in a charity shop looking for something to read and they were selling AA. The rest is history...

Fate. Yep, that be fate. You can't fight it...unless you happen to be a Catalyst or somesuch... Knight . Acutally Undecided , that 'tis not true and I think it's a strong message throughout the RotE books. Even our smallest of actions can change the course of time. We create our our 'destiny'.

Either way, I love hearing these stories about the ways and means that we all end up here together as Hobb readers! Happyballoon

RE: How did you get involved with RotE (spoilers Farseer, TM & Soldier Son) - Farseer - Aug-31-2012

(Aug-24-2012, 11:54 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Love it, finella! Clapping I've been using the RH vs Housework excuse for years. Proud

Here's someone else who places reading before housework P and who is also a Hobb fan. I thought you may like to read this discussion for those reasons, and because we have discussed multiple povs before as well. Flowers EDIT: Oh! I must credit this find to my Italian Blood Memories Hobb friends who tweeted this link. Smiling I don't tweet, except to them and Mervi. P END EDIT

I think I have posted something very similar to this before but the blog date is very recent so...? Undecided

RE: How did you get involved with RotE (spoilers Farseer, TM & Soldier Son) - Provost - Sep-16-2012

I read an online review denigrating an extremely popular fantasy author with a dozen or so books and praising Robin Hobb in his place. This took place several years ago. Unfortunately, the title of the first book had 'assassin' in it and the description made a huge deal out of Fitz's being a bastard. I forgot about it without opening a page.

A little more than a year ago, Assassin's Apprentice appeared before my face at one of the local libraries. It proved passable but it's sequel tore my mind away. Royal Assassin surpasses AA at least four times over. The library took so long to ship Assassin's Quest that I finished the Liveship Traders and FE while waiting. While on the topic, MS surpasses SOM perhaps five times over. These books really have a way of building up.

The main story of the Tawny Man didn't grip like the previous series but the conclusion eclipsed anything that had come before.

By that time, only the first two Rain Wild books had arrived. They proved disappointing. That's not to say they were bad (they're Robin Hobb after all) but they didn't match what had come before.

SC so excited me that I sent a copy to my brother. (He's attending a military academy not unlike the one described but he hasn't informed me if he's gone on any spirit quests.) I didn't care for the parts of the stories that had to do with the specks but once again the conclusion made it all worthwhile.

(I've been sending my brother more books. He's finished the Assassin Books and the first two Liveships. You ought to hear him pondering the Others.)