thePlenty.net Forums
The urge to create - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Everything else (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: The urge to create (/thread-185.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: The urge to create - 'thul - Aug-21-2010

Descent maps? The 'thul do not recognize that term.

RE: The urge to create - Albertosaurus Rex - Aug-21-2010

I think he's referring to the video game Descent, involving flying some kind of spaceship. (I've never actually played it myself...)

RE: The urge to create - 'thul - Aug-21-2010

ah. These beings have never played that game.

all the empty spots on those images are theoretically filled with rock, it being under a mountain and all.

RE: The urge to create - NeverBeenWise - Aug-25-2010

How is it that I have only just stumbled across this thread... O.o

'thul, that contraption looks really interesting, although I'm not sure exactly what it's supposed to do... Wink But I guess I wouldn't, not being a part of the game.

Oh, Albertosaurus, good luck with everything! *cheers encouraging messages* I hope you get published!

Myself, I've always loved to write, ever since we made our own little "books" starting in kindergarten. Then I graduated from one sentence per page to a few per page, and then I found myself writing without having to draw pictures to go along with the story, a very important step.

I started to write a book when I was about twelve that was based on a dream I had. I'd apparently made up a world in my sleep. I wrote about thirty pages, then couldn't figure out how the heck where I was supposed to go with the story, so I stopped. And when I read it over later I decided that it was awful and deleted about half of it, and started to write more, but yet again failed to get past the thirty-page mark. Too bad.

I've written a couple short stories, nothing too fancy... and now, like the 'thul, I usually indulge in online role-playing games to scratch my itch to write. Oh, and I've also been meaning to write a play with a cute little angelic blonde girl who is behind the destruction of her town, but it never got past that stage.

A few days ago I tried my hand at writing fan fiction purely for my own enjoyment, which I will never show to anyone else - it's merely a way to explore a few "what-ifs" about a book. It was fun, and now I'm writing a sequel to a different book, again purely for my enjoyment. But after this I believe I'll stick with writing my own stories. I find that using somebody else's characters is very limiting, not because of any fault in the characters themselves, but because I don't truly know the character's depth and what he or she would or wouldn't do.

Oh, and I sing too, and come up with random tunes that sometimes turn into something else. I'm working on the main theme for a symphony about a cat in a forest. =) And I act and occasionally start speaking Shakespearean English without any warning. And I'm making up a language that came from a role-playing game idea... but enough about that. I mostly dabble in different creative things that yield fast, if not immediate, results. I cannot draw unless I'm stubborn enough to get a shape precisely right, which doesn't happen, so I guess I'm stuck with using language as my palette.

RE: The urge to create - Farseer - Aug-25-2010

(Aug-25-2010, 02:41 PM (UTC))NeverBeenWise Wrote: Oh, and I sing too, and come up with random tunes that sometimes turn into something else. I'm working on the main theme for a symphony about a cat in a forest. =) And I act and occasionally start speaking Shakespearean English without any warning.

Sounds like you'd be a fun person to be around, NeverBeenWise Clapping !!

RE: The urge to create - NeverBeenWise - Aug-25-2010

Actually, I sound a lot more interesting than I really am... <.< >.> It annoys some of my friends. But on the bright side, while speaking normally and without an accent, I did have one person ask if I was from England. Big Grin I was flattered, but I had to inform her that no, sadly I was not.

And there I go again. Tangents...

RE: The urge to create - 'thul - Aug-26-2010

These beings have to say the following, it is unavoidable...

What's flattering about being from England? Beside it being former colony, that is?

RE: The urge to create - Nuytsia - Aug-26-2010

(Aug-25-2010, 02:41 PM (UTC))NeverBeenWise Wrote: Oh, and I sing too, and come up with random tunes that sometimes turn into something else. I'm working on the main theme for a symphony about a cat in a forest. =)

Hehe I am constantly coming up with random words to existing melodies ...... we should get together!
Re your symphony about a cat in a forest - I would pay to see that! (well hear it anyway)

(Aug-25-2010, 11:49 PM (UTC))NeverBeenWise Wrote: Actually, I sound a lot more interesting than I really am... <.< >.> It annoys some of my friends.

Geees that's how I got suckered in by my boyfriend .... hehehee hope he doesn't read this ! Whistling

(Aug-25-2010, 11:49 PM (UTC))NeverBeenWise Wrote: But on the bright side, while speaking normally and without an accent, I did have one person ask if I was from England. Big Grin I was flattered, but I had to inform her that no, sadly I was not.

(Aug-26-2010, 01:41 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: These beings have to say the following, it is unavoidable...
What's flattering about being from England? Beside it being former colony, that is?

Heheh I was wondering (a) where you ARE from ...... I'm guessing obviously not England... and also as per 'thul (b) why it's flattering to be seen as English? (I don't mean it's BAD in ANY way just wasn't aware it was GREAT)

'thul a former colony? of what? Well, Rome I guess sort of ...... Uhhuh

RE: The urge to create - Farseer - Aug-26-2010

I am assuming that the beings 'thul come from the US, and England was once the homeland Smiling ?

I can't help but agree...though I can see that it must have been an exciting affirmation of your obviously amazing vocal ability, NeverBeenWise (to be able to pass as someone of pure English stock!), I personally would be offended if someone ever asked me that! What can I say except that I've spent many years of watching the rivalry between the Poms and we Aussies in the Ashes??!! To have us convicts side with, or be seen to associate with, Mother England is blasphemous in the extreme!!!

Nuytsia, you're definitely going the right way about keeping your boyfriend from becoming your husband P ...oh, to be a fly on the wall when he reads that!!!!

RE: The urge to create - NeverBeenWise - Aug-26-2010

Why thank you, Nuytsia! I hope it gets finished someday... I'm notoriously terrible at finishing my major projects. And yes, you'd better hope he doesn't read it... or do you WANT him to realize that you think you made a mistake? >D

I am from the US, but I love the many British cultures and my sense of humor is purely British. My friends agree that I should have been from England, and if it wasn't for my American accent I'd fit right in. And the British have a respect for words that has no parallel in America; most people seem to choose words very well, even in everyday speech. I think it's kind of ingrained from a very young age.

So yes, that's why I was flattered. Wink

I think if I'd had been born male and in Shakespearean times I'd be a happy camper.