thePlenty.net Forums
Book cover art inaccuracy - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Book cover art inaccuracy (/thread-188.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Book cover art inaccuracy - Albertosaurus Rex - Aug-01-2010

(Aug-01-2010, 06:20 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: yes, that original cover for darkspell is rather incorrect...

How far have you read in deverry? If you've read "A time of Justice" then it is quite safe to open the spoiler... (book 8)

I'm not there yet by far. I have only read the first three books. Book 4 (The Dragon Revenant) is on my to-read pile.

Who do you think that is supposed to be on the Darkspell cover anyway? Sarcyn? Alastyr?

RE: Book cover art inaccuracy - 'thul - Aug-01-2010

That is indeed true... That is also why these beings did not say "good" or "bad". Some of their favorite books are quite simple in design on the cover, only small parts of a dragon, like the upper neck and head...

That series is the Inheritance Cycle (Eragon / Eldest / Brisingr).

Just do not even try to bring up that so-called movie based loosely on the first one... It is not worthy of the name, and is a prime example of severe adaption decay... The persons who thought they could fit such a good book in such a poor, short and horrible movie should be shot. In the head. With a cannon.

RE: Book cover art inaccuracy - Nuytsia - Aug-02-2010

(Aug-01-2010, 01:48 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: Well, covers do give truth to the old saying "don't judge a book by its cover"...

I know, but I still do!! Turned

RE: Book cover art inaccuracy - Albertosaurus Rex - Aug-02-2010

I picked up Malazan because of badass covers like this and this that really drew my eye. (Do note the tiny little figures in the corner of the second one: those aren't just dogs, those are HUGE dogs! Or statues - not sure, haven't read that particular instalment yet.) But those books are more confusing than awesome most of the time...

RE: Book cover art inaccuracy - 'thul - Aug-02-2010

Not bad-looking the first one... (the orange)

RE: Book cover art inaccuracy - Nuytsia - Aug-03-2010

I like the style, but the vicious dog theme puts me right off!

RE: Book cover art inaccuracy - Albertosaurus Rex - Aug-09-2010

The Malazan books feature a pack of dog gods known as the Hounds of Shadow. They're described as being as big as mules, so I figure the dogs on House of Chains are something else, although perhaps related in some way?

I don't particularly like dogs myself. In fact, I always feel uneasy around even the smallest of dogs. This is probably why the passages involving the Hounds of Shadow worked very well for me - when Erikson tries to make them threatening, my mind is already halfway there.

RE: Book cover art inaccuracy - Valarya - Nov-09-2011

Sorry to bring this old thread out of the dirt, but something has always bothered me about the Cover Art for "Golden Fool" (the one done by Stephen Youll).

Let me first start by stating the one done by John Howe is wonderful, imo. I actually had never seen it until just this moment when I attempted to google-search the golden fool cover art. I wish I had this version.

(John Howe version - the good version):
[Image: Robin_Hobb_-_The_Golden_Fool_Cover.jpg]

On the one by Stephen Youll I have.. it's supposed to be Narcheska Elliania, but she has blonde hair, instead of black. It bothers me so much. -_-

(Stephen Youll version I hate.)
[Image: 374006-L.jpg]

RE: Book cover art inaccuracy - Farseer - Nov-09-2011

I have SO MANY interesting posts to respond to (it's been so busy here!) that I thought I may as well start from the most recent. P

Hm. Undecided I thought the JH cover was a depiction of *TM spoilers*

As for the SY version, I have long taken it for granted that it was a depiction of

It was the light hair and the sheet that drew me to that conclusion. Big Grin

RE: Book cover art inaccuracy - 'thul - Nov-09-2011