thePlenty.net Forums
If you had the Skill or the Wit, would you use it? - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: If you had the Skill or the Wit, would you use it? (/thread-19.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: If you had the Skill or the Wit, would you use it? - maulkin - Jan-07-2009

(Jan-07-2009, 03:23 AM (UTC))Nighteyes Wrote: I don't think completely suppressing knowledge of the Skill could ever be right. I just see it as wrong, people should have the right to develop their powers as they're an intrinsic part of them.
Even when the Skill gives potential enemies abilities to spy on you, influence your mind and invade your dreams? Not a comfortable prospect for someone with as much responsibility and as many enemies as a king.

A further question along these lines is who should be allowed to teach the Skill? The Six Duchies kings seem to have always restricted the licence to teach the Skill to a single, loyal Skillmaster. While this policy might have been effective in preventing the proliferation of the Skill, it contributed to the near-extinction of the Skill when Solicity died without training a successor and almost led to disaster when Galen turned all of his trained Skill students against the rightful king.

RE: If you had the Skill or the Wit, would you use it? - KoShiatar - Apr-27-2009

I would surely be Witted, and perhaps develop some kind of bond with a cat. They seem to suit me quite fine. And my cat wanting me to be there when she had kitties for the first time and then showing only to me their hiding place when she moved them strikes me as being a rather deep bond for a common pet.

RE: If you had the Skill or the Wit, would you use it? - Beloved - May-02-2009

(Dec-28-2008, 01:59 AM (UTC))maulkin Wrote: The Skill and the Wit are powerful abilities yet both imply awesome responsibilities and can only be practiced at tremendous personal cost. So, if the call was issued and you discovered that you were Skilled or Witted, would you agree to serve your king as a member of a coterie?

I would definitely use it. I know it is dangerous, but i would not jump into the Skill like Chade and I would be careful with the Wit like the Old Blood instruct. To be in touch with the world in such a way... it would be beautiful.

RE: If you had the Skill or the Wit, would you use it? - Chiquita - May-05-2009

I would definitely use my Wit skill if I had it. I seem to bond quickly with animals and this just seems like a natural progression of that Smiling

What animal? Hmm. I do like wolves alot. I also like cats, domestic or wild. A lion or jaguar would perhaps suit me. My favourite animal is a dolphin but I'm not sure how successful a match would be with a water mammal especially since I'm not a particularly strong swimmer.. heh!

RE: If you had the Skill or the Wit, would you use it? - BuckBear - May-06-2009

With the Skill, for sure.

With the Wit, it'd depend on the situation. If it was after the Witted Coterie was formed, and the Wit was becoming more accepted, I might. If it was in the earlier time of persecution, I'd have suppressed it. *blush* I don't have the courage.

What animal would I bond with? I've considered this, and haven't managed to come to a conclusion. I'm told I'd do well with a snake, but I'm not sure what I think of that. It wouldn't be a pack creature. I'm not much of a pack person.

RE: If you had the Skill or the Wit, would you use it? - maulkin - May-06-2009

I liked the idea of Molly wit-bonding with a hive of bees; a shame that it was only a trick!

RE: If you had the Skill or the Wit, would you use it? - Changer - May-06-2009

Most certainly the Wit, I'd love to bond with an animal, no matter how people would think of it, as long as it's natural I'm okay with it. The Skill would be different, it would come in handy at times, but I think that the constant hunger for it would be enough to make me say "thanks but I'll let this one slip"

For a bonding animal, a wolf or a nice bird of prey, though I'd prefer the wolf ^^

And maulkin, it was a nice idea wasn't it, would have been nice if it had been real, poor red-beardP

RE: If you had the Skill or the Wit, would you use it? - Tintaglia - May-07-2009

I'm already Witted, and bond with a fat, black cat with orange eyes, whose name in Apep. Wink

RE: If you had the Skill or the Wit, would you use it? - trekkie75 - Jun-27-2009

Assuming I was found with one of the talents I would want to use them as best as I can - so I would answer the call.

If I could choose, I wouldn't want either. If it had to be one, I'd prefer the wit.

And I would like to bond with a cat. If i wasn't allergic. Hm. A robin. That's nice. Smiling

RE: If you had the Skill or the Wit, would you use it? - Shantar - Jul-22-2009

If I could choose, I'd love to have both or at least the Skill. If I lived in the Six Duchies, I definitely could see myself in a coterie.