thePlenty.net Forums
So I finished Dragon Haven (Spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: So I finished Dragon Haven (Spoilers) (/thread-190.html)

So I finished Dragon Haven (Spoilers) - Bink - Aug-04-2010

Yes I finished the book and to be honest, I'm a little disappointed with the way the ending was done. I felt it was very abrupt.

I understand that Robin Hobb loves open-ended closings but I felt the book was suddenly cut short. Some how I expected the conclusion to be more dramatic.

I believe I enjoyed Dragon Keeper more compared to Dragon Haven. I felt a lot of details of the travel were cut short in Dragon Haven, different from the kind of literary embellishments I've come to expect from journeys undertaken in Assassin's Quest, Fool's Fate and that from Soldier Son series.

Regardless I'm going to re-read both books and see if my impression changes.

RE: So I finished Dragon Haven (Spoilers) - 'thul - Aug-04-2010

do not be too sure that it will be an "ending"... just because all other books have been in trilogies, does not mean this will be one... remember that dragon keeper and dragon haven were originally intended to be a single book, not two books...

RE: So I finished Dragon Haven (Spoilers) - Liquid Ice - Aug-04-2010

Yea the ending was a lil.. non thrilling. Abrupt.
I'd say it's because she's going to, more or less, continue on the story on, or at least what happened next to the new area thats been discovered in her next book. And she probably didn't think it'd fit with the adventure that was already taking place.

So I guess, don't really think of it as an ending, rather a setting for the next epic adventure P.

RE: So I finished Dragon Haven (Spoilers) - redchild - Aug-08-2010

I felt the ending was satisfying, but the way Rapskal and Heeby found Tarman was a bit surprising. It seemed almost too convenient. I liked it nonetheless, and it felt like the kind of ending to transition to the next story.

Also, does anyone think the Kelsingra group will meet anyone from the Six Duchies? It will only be a matter of time before they discover the black transport stones. Thymara and Alise's spotting of a buck seems to foreshadow some sort of contact between the Rain Wilds and Six Duchies.

RE: So I finished Dragon Haven (Spoilers) - 'thul - Aug-08-2010

It is not impossible, and is actually quite likely...

Whether first contact comes from the Six Duchies or from the Kelsingrans is something these beings are unsure about. The former have the experience in using the elderling powers, but the latter have the raw strength at it and the access to dragons, who no doubt know of the stones...

RE: So I finished Dragon Haven (Spoilers) - joost - Aug-08-2010

Doesn't it require the ability to use the skill to be able to use the pillars?

RE: So I finished Dragon Haven (Spoilers) - Liquid Ice - Aug-08-2010

(Aug-08-2010, 05:04 AM (UTC))redchild Wrote: I felt the ending was satisfying, but the way Rapskal and Heeby found Tarman was a bit surprising. It seemed almost too convenient.

That actually was the only Robin Hobb book ending that I saw 100% coming. Knew that they'd live to tell the tale and then be flying and finding.
I was a bit disappointed about that actually.

(Aug-08-2010, 11:36 AM (UTC))joost Wrote: Doesn't it require the ability to use the skill to be able to use the pillars?

Pretty sure so yes. Or at least, I think I remember that the less experienced you are with the skill the worse it's effects are when using those pillars.

So if someone with no skill training was actually able to use a pillar they'd die or become mindless.

RE: So I finished Dragon Haven (Spoilers) - 'thul - Aug-08-2010

Well, considering that the skill is drawn from having elderling blood in one's veins, we doubt the Kelsingrans will have all that much trouble using the pillars, should they learn how to use them...

RE: So I finished Dragon Haven (Spoilers) - redchild - Aug-08-2010

(Aug-08-2010, 11:46 AM (UTC))Liquid Ice Wrote: That actually was the only Robin Hobb book ending that I saw 100% coming. Knew that they'd live to tell the tale and then be flying and finding.
I was a bit disappointed about that actually.

I suppose there is dramatic irony from the get-go. We already know that Fitz and Verity had visited Kelsingra, so we already knew the city exists. It was just a manner of time before the Tarman expedition found it.

Quote:
(Aug-08-2010, 11:36 AM (UTC))joost Wrote: Doesn't it require the ability to use the skill to be able to use the pillars?

Pretty sure so yes. Or at least, I think I remember that the less experienced you are with the skill the worse it's effects are when using those pillars.

So if someone with no skill training was actually able to use a pillar they'd die or become mindless.

It seems everyone has some Skill ability in them, seeing as they can communicate with dragons. Though it's more latent power than anything, as they don't seem to have much experience using it consciously, so I suppose it could be dangerous for them to use it.

However, I also remember Fitz using the pillar when he was still struggling from Elfbark withdrawal, so I don't think one has to be at the level of a Skill master to use it. But there is also the time in Fool's Fate where Fitz was trapped in some sort of netherworld because he didn't have the reserves or something. I'll need to look that up.

I wonder if dragons can use the stone pillars the same way the humans can. If they form a close enough bond with their keepers, would that be enough for them to travel through the pillars safely?

RE: So I finished Dragon Haven (Spoilers) - Liquid Ice - Aug-09-2010

(Aug-08-2010, 11:31 PM (UTC))redchild Wrote: It seems everyone has some Skill ability in them, seeing as they can communicate with dragons. Though it's more latent power than anything, as they don't seem to have much experience using it consciously, so I suppose it could be dangerous for them to use it.

However, I also remember Fitz using the pillar when he was still struggling from Elfbark withdrawal, so I don't think one has to be at the level of a Skill master to use it. But there is also the time in Fool's Fate where Fitz was trapped in some sort of netherworld because he didn't have the reserves or something. I'll need to look that up.

I wonder if dragons can use the stone pillars the same way the humans can. If they form a close enough bond with their keepers, would that be enough for them to travel through the pillars safely?

Well not everyone can communicate with dragons. Sedric for example. And the dragons said that was because he was "stuiped". Or something around them lines. Though from what I've gathered alot of people can. Or at least hear them.

And also one thing that really bugged me is Fitz seemed to have little trouble using portals but when he met... whats his name? ("The black man" that was like The Fool). He made a big deal about it saying things around the lines of "You should use them as little as possible" and he also was amazed when Fitz told how many times he had used them.

So I'd say either Fitz is special in his powers or it was kinda something the Author thought of late.