thePlenty.net Forums
Internet Speed - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Everything else (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Internet Speed (/thread-192.html)

Pages: 1 2

Internet Speed - Nuytsia - Aug-13-2010

Hello!
I'm probably going to die when I find out, but I'm curious about the relative internet speeds of users in other parts of the world. So if anyone is willing to post their internet speed and their location I'd be interested.

Me:

Location - Tasmania, Australia.
Speed - 1.5 mbps

Type - wireless
Price - way too expensive....

Note, most people in Aus would have a landline service, not wireless. I have it because I am in a location where I can't get broadband via landline.

RE: Internet Speed - Nuytsia - Aug-18-2010

*crickets again*

RE: Internet Speed - Mervi - Aug-19-2010

I have a connection that comes automatically with the apartment I'm renting and is included in the price. And that's basically the only good thing I can say about it. The connection uses an "ancient" technology called HomePNA which basically shares the same line to all the apartments in the building, with the theoretical maximum speed of 1Mbps. Only... after I had lived here for a couple of years, the company that provides the connection decided they wanted people to pay *something* for it anyway, and dropped the speed by about half. The idea is that people can pay to upgrade it back to 1Mbps. (The price they're asking is actually very reasonable, but even so I've been so angry about this I decided not to pay. Besides with the crappy technology, I don't think it's worth it.)

So, officially, my Internet speed is 512kbps (incoming) / 256-128 kbps (outgoing). In reality, I'm happy to see anything incoming over 70 kbps, usually it's below that.

On the other hand, I have a pretty good deal on my iPhone which I can use to connect my computer to the Internet. I have an "unlimited" data plan, which means there's no limit how much I can download, and the speed is as good as whatever the network can provide at that moment (It's mostly 3G or Edge where I live). I got some special deal when I bought the phone, so the data plan which would normally be 19,90e + 14,90e per month only costs me 9,90e month and the contract is for two years. (Then again the actual phone calls are pricier than what other operators charge...)

RE: Internet Speed - Nuytsia - Aug-19-2010

Thanks Mervi
There's a perception in Australia that we have terrible internet speed and access by world standards... but I think really it means in relation to like the top 5 countries for internet speed/access .... not really 'the world'!!!!

512 is what we were on until recently. 70 is pretty brutal though ....... if I had that here I would just use dialup internet which is a lot cheaper (56 top speed)
I have no idea what the deal would be with mobile phone ... although it probably wouldn't even work as the mobile phone reception here is probably more unreliable than our (microwave) internet!

I forgot to say the price of ours is at the moment about $70 a month which I think is roughly 50 euros?
Most people in urban areas would pay less and get more though. Wireless is a LOT more expensive than landline here.

RE: Internet Speed - Mervi - Aug-19-2010

Well, Finland is not in the top 10 countries of Internet speed (a bit surprisingly IMO South Korea appears to be number 1!) but most of the rest of Nordic countries are. However, we're the first nation in the world to (very recently) declare broadband internet as a legal right for all citizens. How this will change things remains yet to be seen, as it doesn't necessarily have any effect on the price of connections, just that operators are required to connect even the most remote cottage in the middle of a forest if the owner asks them to (the operators aren't too happy about this, as it costs them a lot!)

RE: Internet Speed - 'thul - Aug-19-2010

These beings do not know what they are supposed to have, but the last measurement gave them this:
Down: 11312 kbit/s; Up: 676 kbit/s

Last year they had 100Mbit/s up, 100Mbit/down.

RE: Internet Speed - Nuytsia - Aug-19-2010

Mervi It doesn't really surprise me that South Korea is Number 1 when they are such a huge gaming country. I'm not sure what came first though - ie was good internet access demanded, or are they a huge gaming country BECAUSE they have good internet? Not sure.
Hey broadband a legal right? Yeah! Also, is that a pic of you in that article? Joker

Also, "It's only a 1Mbps connection for now, but by 2015 they're promised 100Mbps."
Hmmm maybe we ARE crap after all !!!!!!!! (re internet that is)

There is some rubbish policy in Australia that is supposed to do something similar along the lines of guaranteeing broadband access for everyone. But in practical terms of course it doesn't quite work out that way. You may have access via some horribly expensive impractical method.... then again it sounds like the Finnish one could be the same! (only going by the article, not knowing the fine print)
Although as you said the operators aren't happy as connecting remote locations costs them a lot, it seems different to the Aus one. Here it costs the USER a lot not the operator ..... the connection cost is passed on.

'thul thanks for the info.
I guess 11312 kbit/s is like 10 mbps? over 5 times mine >Down

And 100Mbit/s !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thankful

RE: Internet Speed - 'thul - Aug-19-2010

It is roughly that, yes...

It is too bad these beings no longer have a connection to the university net. ¨The university gave all residents there full network speed connection to the internet...

RE: Internet Speed - Farseer - Aug-21-2010

(Aug-18-2010, 04:30 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: *crickets again*

Big Grin TOO FUNNY!!!!

RE: Internet Speed - Nuytsia - Aug-21-2010

Heheh glad ya liked it