thePlenty.net Forums
Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you (spoilers all RotE books) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you (spoilers all RotE books) (/thread-194.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you (spoilers all RotE books) - Farseer - Feb-10-2012

I tell you, I feel like I'm wearing down and darned near ready to click on those spoilers! Uhhuh

Hurry up tomorrow (EDIT: I've had this window open so long it's now TODAY - yikes!). If my book is not in the store by the time I reach the coast in the afternoon, I am going to be behind bars tomorrow night (EDIT: now tonight!) for committing some untold horror to the staff. You think I'm joking...but I'm not! Wink

Hmm...we've talked about who (keepers) ends up with whom and also movement of the memory stone somewhere else before as well, I think. So many threads we have on here these days, it's impossible to keep track of past ponderings even when using 'search'! Such a tapestry we have woven with these threads. P I have to think about them though as I'd hate to write one thing here and totally contradict something else I've already said...as Farseer-like as that would be for me!

The idea you beings have come up with for reshaping the Rain River is a very, very clever one which I would never have come up with. Clapping Still, I would have to wonder at the possible side-effects from everyday proximity with the stone and also the logistics with working with the stone itself during construction. Off to have a think...especially as this thought has just taken me off on a whole other tangent! It could take a while, especially if yet another tangent or two takes me while I explore these ones... Happyballoon

Still, whatever's been thrown about previously, I don't think I had ever thought about the river as being one of the means of transporting the memory stone from place-to-place. That, too, is clever. It would make perfect sense, of course, particularly knowing that Rurisk sent down the Mountain Kingdom trees to Verity in Buck in this very same manner...the ones which resulted in his war ships.

It would certainly explain how such large quantities came to be downriver/near river systems and thus available to be used as a building material in both Frengong and Cassarick...not to mention Kelsingra and even for the Skill Road. I am also thinking of the huge memory stone bridge that spans the river at one point...

I have a feeling that such things have been chatted about in the Elderings Creation thread. Off to take a look there and in the Technology thread. Why not? It's only nearly 1:30am and I'm due to get out of bed (the one that I haven't made it to yet!) in under three hours! Sleeping

The memory stone sand where the serpents cocoon has long been of interest to me as well...that it exists there in a sand-like or ground form as opposed to stone...and the same could be said of the 'gravel' path on Others' Island, which I have spoken about before also. This use of the word 'gravel' in connection with that path makes me think it quite different to both the sand and the stone forms, but still made of memory stone nonetheless. Are these sand and gravel forms naturally occurring or have they been broken down/ground by human or Elderling hands?

Sorry, switching threads again, not to mention not overly contributing to the discussion here...maybe we should have started this thread first and then we (me!) wouldn't have to worry about searching elsewhere for lost thoughts... P ...one cube of memory stone only, that would suit me.

RE: Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you (spoilers all RotE books) - joost - Feb-10-2012

(Feb-10-2012, 02:33 PM (UTC))Valarya Wrote: Joost... City of Dragons stuff in here::
[spoiler=More CoD/BoD things]
The deformity of Ephron Khuprus was due to the Rain WIlds 'strangeness', and I think that only started after the earthquake.
[/spoiler]

RE: Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you (spoilers all RotE books) - Valarya - Feb-10-2012

(Feb-10-2012, 08:19 PM (UTC))joost Wrote: [spoiler=More CoD/BoD things]
The deformity of Ephron Khuprus was due to the Rain WIlds 'strangeness', and I think that only started after the earthquake.
[/spoiler]

I completely disagree with you, Joost.

RE: Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you (spoilers all RotE books) - Farseer - Feb-12-2012

It is a true misery to have so strong a willpower that prevents me from clicking on those there links Crying ...

...and to know that it will be yet another YEAR before I can. Blood of Dragons seems just so far away...but at least it's nice to know that Robin is still writing on her next book as the majority of us are waiting...

RE: Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you (spoilers all RotE books) - 'thul - Feb-12-2012

joost may have gotten it earlier, but not with same quality as the rest here will get it.

RE: Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you (spoilers all RotE books) - joost - Feb-12-2012

(Feb-10-2012, 08:25 PM (UTC))Valarya Wrote:
After thinking a few days, I agree with this.

However:
(Feb-10-2012, 02:33 PM (UTC))Valarya Wrote:
I still don't agree with this. It seems like a post-factum justification to me.

RE: Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you (spoilers all RotE books) - LegionOfBrad - Feb-22-2012

I'm not quite sure about the spoiler etiquette in this thread but i'll leave it in a spoiler tag just incase!

RE: Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you (spoilers all RotE books) - Farseer - Feb-22-2012

No need for any spoiler tags for this thread unless it's for City of Dragons or Blood of Dragons, LegionOfBrad, as these haven't yet been released for UK and US/UK respectively. As you will see in the thread title, there is a spoiler tag for 'all RotE books'...though I can see why it should already be amended to "up to DH". Thanks for checking though! Slurp

As for your question, funny that we've been chatting about it over in the The ending doesn't make sense? thread (as well as elsewhere previously). Quoting it here but leaving the LST tags in the post for you LOB. Smiling

(Feb-21-2012, 03:27 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote:
(Feb-21-2012, 02:24 AM (UTC))Narya Wrote: The one thing I would like to have seen is Hap learning who his foster father really was. With his minstrel's thirst for a good story, that would have taken many evenings by the fire, before Hap went back to his own life on the road.

The problem with posting so many posts is that I have lost myself...I know I have mentioned something of this before but I know not what nor where so apologies for what's coming! Surrender Big Grin

I agree, and it will be interesting to learn just how much he actually DID know by the end of Fool's Fate...he was, after all, present at Fitz and Molly's wedding. If he was not told why and what relationship Fitz had with them, he would have, at the very least, been rather curious as to the guests of the wedding eg the King, Queen and Prince! It would have been unusual to have royalty Crown in attendance at a wedding of a mere guardsman (Tom Badgerlock rather than FitzChivalry Farseer).

What we also don't know is if his comments about getting a "kiss from his new sister" meant that Hap thought he and Nettle were considered brother and sister due to the wedding itself (in that his foster father, Fitz, married Nettle's mother, Molly) or that they were 'brother and sister' due to the fact that Fitz was Nettle's biological father and also his foster father.

Either way, if any minstrel ever gets the true inside scoop on Fitz, I am glad that it's Hap. Given my natterings about the relationships of minstrels to dragons, the Rooster Crown etc ... *LST spoiler*

... I am very happy that Hap chose to be a minstrel.

As Fitz glossed over the details, I'd like to think that all will be explained in any future book that he may narrate, much like what happened when he glossed over things at the end of Assassin's Quest but then came back and filled in the details for us at the beginning of Fool's Errand. If so, we would then learn what, if anything, Hap was told.

As for knowing if Fitz is Witted or not, I guess that as soon as Hap were to find out that Tom was actually FitzChivalry Farseer, he would have to know that he was Witted...even if he had not heard the tales of Fitz, he would certainly have heard and even learned the songs, especially Antler Island Tower, after Starling gave all of her songs to him.

I assume that Hap would know. Why would Fitz explain all to Molly, Nettle and Molly and Burrich's boys, only to leave his own foster son in the dark? He promised no more secrets and I expect that Hap would have been included in this circle?

RE: Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you (spoilers all RotE books) - LegionOfBrad - Feb-22-2012

(Feb-22-2012, 12:57 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: No need for any spoiler tags for this thread unless it's for City of Dragons or Blood of Dragons, LegionOfBrad, as these haven't yet been released for UK and US/UK respectively. As you will see in the thread title, there is a spoiler tag for 'all RotE books'...though I can see why it should already be amended to "up to DH". Thanks for checking though! Slurp

As for your question, funny that we've been chatting about it over in the The ending doesn't make sense? thread (as well as elsewhere previously). Quoting it here but leaving the LST tags in the post for you LOB. Smiling

Thanks Farseer, i'll read through that thread. Its hard to search for "Hap" as its a three letter word which the search engine doesn't like Smiling

RE: Small, random questions about RotE that still bother you (spoilers all RotE books) - 'thul - Feb-22-2012

Hap might not know everything, but he certainly knows some of it. And given time, he'd probably figure out much of the rest. Minstrels tend to be decent at ferreting out truths...