thePlenty.net Forums
Black Hair, Black Eyes *Spoilers all RotE Books* - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Black Hair, Black Eyes *Spoilers all RotE Books* (/thread-197.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Black Hair, Black Eyes *Spoilers all RotE Books* - o0Ampy0o - Feb-11-2013

Didn't Malta have black hair even though her father was Chalcedean blond? She definitely had dragon heritage.

Jek was a Six Duchies woman yet blond but she did not exhibit any sign of strong perception outside of sensual.

On the topic of the color black, Prilkop was only black because of the significant changes he was responsible for in the world. The Fool could go around undetected by Nighteyes, Fitz, and Paragon. They seem to be alien in many ways. The White Prophets appear to be resistant to Skill for the most part. When The Fool left his Skill dipped finger prints on Fitz it created only a faint connection. As described when The Fool kissed Fitz to transfer his memories back to him from Girl on a Dragon, White Prophets were not human. Being human may be an integral factor to the Skill along with close association with dragons.

RE: Black Hair, Black Eyes *Spoilers all RotE Books* - 'thul - Feb-11-2013

well, the theory behind the black hair part is that Icefyre affected the people of the outer six duchies (and especially out islands), as he is a black dragon.

Either its from another black dragon, or The Vestrits have ancestry in the north... ('thul doubt that, but who knows?)

Whites (as the prophets like beloved/prilkop are) are not part of the elderling equation. Why is hard (if not impossible) to say.

RE: Black Hair, Black Eyes *Spoilers all RotE Books* - o0Ampy0o - Feb-11-2013

(Feb-11-2013, 07:44 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: Whites (as the prophets like beloved/prilkop are) are not part of the elderling equation. Why is hard (if not impossible) to say.
It was interesting when Fitz and The Fool were at the Elderling city looking at the map of portals deciding where to go and The Fool's homeland did not have any of the portals. The Elderlings seemed to stay away from there for some reason. You would think the dragons would have gone everywhere and that at least through osmosis the Elderlings would have known of its content if not explored the region. It appears to be a conscious decision not to visit there and establish ties with the inhabitants.

RE: Black Hair, Black Eyes *Spoilers all RotE Books* - 'thul - Feb-11-2013

they could've. but if their population was as limited geographically as to be taken out by a single such cataclysm, they didn't.

RE: Black Hair, Black Eyes *Spoilers all RotE Books* - Farseer - Feb-12-2013

(Feb-11-2013, 01:30 AM (UTC))o0Ampy0o Wrote: Didn't Malta have black hair even though her father was Chalcedean blond? She definitely had dragon heritage.

Yes, o0Ampy0o, she did. Malta's black hair only later changed to blonde due to her Elderling transformation. I know that she hasn't been included in the progressive list but that's likely because I have meant to go and find confirmation in the text that her eyes were dark and then just never got back here to add her. I know that I did write something about her hair and eyes etc in the Malta or Calendar threads...but have missed here. P WIll add when I can.

School to teach, so more soon...!

RE: Black Hair, Black Eyes *Spoilers all RotE Books* - o0Ampy0o - Feb-12-2013

(Feb-11-2013, 10:45 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: they could've. but if their population was as limited geographically as to be taken out by a single such cataclysm, they didn't.
The dragons were not geographically limited yet they were reduced to near extinction.

There must be more to this.
(Feb-12-2013, 03:36 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote:
(Feb-11-2013, 01:30 AM (UTC))o0Ampy0o Wrote: Didn't Malta have black hair even though her father was Chalcedean blond? She definitely had dragon heritage.

Yes, o0Ampy0o, she did. Malta's black hair only later changed to blonde due to her Elderling transformation. I know that she hasn't been included in the progressive list but that's likely because I have meant to go and find confirmation in the text that her eyes were dark and then just never got back here to add her. I know that I did write something about her hair and eyes etc in the Malta or Calendar threads...but have missed here. P WIll add when I can.

School to teach, so more soon...!
So is the blond hair something revealed later in RWC? I have not read anything from RWC. It wasn't mentioned in Liveships.

RE: Black Hair, Black Eyes *Spoilers all RotE Books* - 'thul - Feb-12-2013

Farseer left a spoiler out for you. Not as it should've been. Even if thread has spoilers all books, it is not nice to someone who hasn't read all.

Farseer bad. Farseer give meat in recompense?

RE: Black Hair, Black Eyes *Spoilers all RotE Books* - Farseer - Feb-18-2013

Popping in and quickly skim reading a couple of things...saw 'Farseer' and 'spoiler'. Erk. Sorry o0Ampy0o. Down See? This is exactly why I shouldn't be flitting around here in a hurry, including myself in conversations at present! Surrender

Not sure about providing meat in recompense, 'thul... *being* the meat is about all I'm good for at the moment! Wink

RE: Black Hair, Black Eyes *Spoilers all RotE Books* - 'thul - Feb-18-2013

farseer meat?
*stumbles towards farseer with a hungry look*

RE: Black Hair, Black Eyes *Spoilers all RotE Books* - Farseer - Mar-14-2013

(Feb-12-2013, 05:21 AM (UTC))o0Ampy0o Wrote:
(Feb-11-2013, 10:45 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: they could've. but if their population was as limited geographically as to be taken out by a single such cataclysm, they didn't.
The dragons were not geographically limited yet they were reduced to near extinction.

There must be more to this.

Agreed. Dragons could not have been geographically limited unless it was for a good reason. While there may have been reasons they may *prefer* to inhabit certain regions (due to climate, sand for rolling in etc), they would not have been limited against their will unless there was an outside influence. They were, after all, Lords of The Three Realms.

Possibly this overlaps much of what we have spoken elsewhere about the Cataclysm itself, movement of the Elderlings etc. Possibly it is simply that Elderlings did not require to travel to such areas as Fool's homeland as the dragons did just prefer to inhabit regions closer to the city Fitz visited *RWC spoiler*
and the Skill River, not to mention Others' Island for their birthings and their cocooning grounds in the Rain Wilds? Given the extent of their (and human and serpent) long travels south though, I don't expect that this would be so. Why stay in one region where there is a world of sea-bears and other goodies out there?

As for the technology thread, possibly Fool's homeland had yet to reach the technological heights that the Realm of the Elderlings had achieved and then lost? I don't believe so but it is possible. If there had ever been Skill-pillars there, or even Elderling cities etc, why would the Elderlings of the city Fitz visited *RWC spoiler*
, Cassarick and/or Frengong not have fled further than Aslevjal? Maybe they felt safe enough in the Out Islands? After all, effects of the Cataclysm or conflict were experienced even as far as Buck with the mounds of earth seen by Fitz likely covering Elderling dwellings of old.

Despite all that, it is worthy to note the loss of ships and crews that dared anchor on the side of the Treasure Beach of Others' Island (which is why Kennit and co would always anchor on the side closer to the Cursed Shores). Where did these ships go if not the other side of the sea, around the region of the home of the Great Sail Fleet? Nobody had ever heard of them again to know. That they disappear suggests that there exists a destination Pillar...unless, of course it is damaged or well under ocean waters and the ships and crew perish...such as Fitz used to fear with Pillars being broken or buried beneath the earth.

Either way, I have long thought that it was possibly from around the same region of The Great Sail Fleet that Fool originated, and it is from their (The Great Sail Fleet's) three-yearly visits to the Satrap's seat that Fool may have made his way west.

Maybe magic, such as the magic that surrounds the path of the Others, keeps Elderlings and dragons at bay?

Lots to think on... Smiling
Umm...sorry...I completely went off topic Surrender when I was actually supposed to be here talking about how the black hair and eyes is a connection of not only Buck with the Out Islands but also with the 'city' that Fitz visited *RWC spoiler*
. I know I've spoken about it in spits and spurts before but...

Erk! Must go...the computer is needed for some school work! P