thePlenty.net Forums
Black Hair, Black Eyes *Spoilers all RotE Books* - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Black Hair, Black Eyes *Spoilers all RotE Books* (/thread-197.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Black Hair, Black Eyes *Spoilers all RotE Books* - 'thul - Mar-14-2013

Their geographic limits could quite likely have roots in facts of comfort, of convenience and perhaps in reasons forgotten by the known dragons... Their memories are not perfect.

Some might claim that they did not have enemies, but that is obviously wrong. Perhaps Ancient Chalced wasn't the only enemy, or the most powerful?

RE: Black Hair, Black Eyes *Spoilers all RotE Books* - Farseer - Mar-14-2013

Aha! Here's where one of my wild, old theories about the possibly 'evil' priests of Sa would slot in nicely! Big Grin

I can't help but (again! P ) think of that wizardwood arrow in the chest of the simulacra dragon on Barren Island (EDIT: actually, I think it was The Barrens?END EDIT)...the one Althea saw. Evidence of conflict far south of the Rain Wilds to be sure.

RE: Black Hair, Black Eyes *Spoilers all RotE Books* - 'thul - Mar-14-2013

Not so much south as distant. What it all sums up to is that politics weren't as black and white as some dragons have claimed.

RE: Black Hair, Black Eyes *Spoilers all RotE Books* - o0Ampy0o - Mar-16-2013

(Mar-14-2013, 02:18 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: ...it is worthy to note the loss of ships and crews that dared anchor on the side of the Treasure Beach of Others' Island (which is why Kennit and co would always anchor on the side closer to the Cursed Shores). Where did these ships go if not the other side of the sea, around the region of the home of the Great Sail Fleet? Nobody had ever heard of them again to know. That they disappear suggests that there exists a destination Pillar...unless, of course it is damaged or well under ocean waters and the ships and crew perish...such as Fitz used to fear with Pillars being broken or buried beneath the earth....

I thought that only certain people had the ability to pass through the Skill Pillars? The Pillars would not have been a portal sucking away random groups of sailors like a sink hole. If any were left behind the legend did not include stories of any survivors. Everyone disappeared including the vessel.

Has a supernatural plot link been proven to be behind every event in Hobb's literature? I have seen where Hobb has simply described natural events, behaviors, appearances and people have lumped them together with Skill events. They did not apply in every instance (my opinion). My reaction to something like a legend or rumor about the fate of ships on a remote island is to examine the source, usually ignorant common people generations from firsthand knowledge. Ignorant people tend to assign supernatural explanations to things they do not understand.

RE: Black Hair, Black Eyes *Spoilers all RotE Books* - 'thul - Mar-16-2013

well, the pillars would probably work with anyone possessing the ability to link with dragons, but better for those where it was stronger. The runes weren't chiseled away from the buckkeep stones because just a few used them wrong.

These beings do, however, doubt that they would be capable of grabbing an entire ship, though.

RE: Black Hair, Black Eyes *Spoilers all RotE Books* - o0Ampy0o - Mar-16-2013

A large segment of people were not linked to dragons as we could observe in the different ways people reacted to Tintaglia's presence in Bingtown.

RE: Black Hair, Black Eyes *Spoilers all RotE Books* - 'thul - Mar-16-2013

True. Most likely the percentage lies somewhere from 40-60, with just a small fraction of that again capable of naturally doing more than merely connect (i.e. having more than a mere touch of Elderling ancestry).

Of course, as proven somewhen in RWC, the lack of ability to connect can be rectified.