thePlenty.net Forums
Character portrait (RotE Spoilers) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Character portrait (RotE Spoilers) (/thread-201.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Character portrait (RotE Spoilers) - redchild - Sep-26-2010

So I am sitting here writing a museum paper on a painting by Giovanni Battista Moroni of an elderly man...

and I can't help but feel like I'm looking at Chade (in serious mode.)

Anybody else seen anything that reminds them of RotE characters?

RE: Character portrait - Farseer - Sep-30-2010

(Sep-26-2010, 11:18 AM (UTC))redchild Wrote: and I can't help but feel like I'm looking at Chade (in serious mode.)

I can see that, redchild Smiling !

(Sep-26-2010, 11:18 AM (UTC))redchild Wrote: Anybody else seen anything that reminds them of RotE characters?

I think I've mentioned it before but South African cricketer Dale Steyn brings Kennit to my mind (just add a moustache and remove a leg!). I watched a test series between Australia and South Africa a year or so ago, and every time I saw Steyn I got shivers!

Dale Steyn Official Website

RE: Character portrait - Albertosaurus Rex - Sep-30-2010

I'm afraid I don't really see Dale Steyn as Kennit, but I can see the old guy as Chade. But no, I've never seen anyone myself who reminded me of a RotE character...

RE: Character portrait - Atthis - Sep-30-2010

I also see some elements of Chade in that painting, especially in the upper part of the face.

And as for your cricketer, Farseer, I see no resemblance to Kennit at all. Sorry. Big Grin No wait, I just looked at a different photo and I will concede that his eyes are actually quite Kennit-like. But just the eyes - not even the eyebrows. Isn't it funny how the same character can be imagined in so many different ways by different people?

Are you familiar with the artwork of surrealist painter Remedios Varo? To me there's something incredibly "elderling-esque" about her paintings. I've also found reminders of various other elements of the Realm of the Elderlings in various paintings of hers. There's even a one of a castle on a cliff (with dragons, no less!) that sort of brings Buckkeep to mind. I've been meaning to post a link to her paintings here, but there are just so many sites to choose from that it's almost easier to google-images the artist. Well, to be truthful, maybe the fact that I don't know how to post a link on these forums has a little bit to do with it.

RE: Character portrait - redchild - Oct-01-2010

(Sep-30-2010, 07:40 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: I think I've mentioned it before but South African cricketer Dale Steyn brings Kennitt to my mind (just add a moustache and remove a leg!). I watched a test series between Australia and South Africa a year or so ago, and every time I saw Steyn I got shivers!

Dale Steyn Official Website

He does seem to fit Kennit's build and appearance. I suppose I need to see him in a pirate captain's outfit to be sure LOL

(Sep-30-2010, 12:33 PM (UTC))Atthis Wrote: Are you familiar with the artwork of surrealist painter Remedios Varo? To me there's something incredibly "elderling-esque" about her paintings. I've also found reminders of various other elements of the Realm of the Elderlings in various paintings of hers. There's even a one of a castle on a cliff (with dragons, no less!) that sort of brings Buckkeep to mind. I've been meaning to post a link to her paintings here, but there are just so many sites to choose from that it's almost easier to google-images the artist.

Yes, though I haven't looked at her works much in depth. I do remember seeing Dead Leaves and 3 Destinies. Very enigmatic. I suppose the European Medieval-like style of her work supports the feeling of what it's like looking at people from another time and their surreal quality makes it seem as though the people from that time and place lived in an environment that was magical.

And I think the painting you're referring to is this one?

Quote:Well, to be truthful, maybe the fact that I don't know how to post a link on these forums has a little bit to do with it.

I just highlight the text in my post and press the Insert hyperlink button and paste the url. Or you can write it out manually: [url="http.blah.com"]text[/url]

Anyway here are some songs that, while not entirely portraits, can relate to some characters' situations:

RE: Character portrait - Atthis - Oct-02-2010

(Oct-01-2010, 07:53 AM (UTC))redchild Wrote: Very enigmatic. I suppose the European Medieval-like style of her work supports the feeling of what it's like looking at people from another time and their surreal quality makes it seem as though the people from that time and place lived in an environment that was magical.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. It's the mood of her paintings that evokes the magic and mystery of the elderlings, even though the actual physical appearances of her subjects might not be a perfect match.

(Oct-01-2010, 07:53 AM (UTC))redchild Wrote: And I think the painting you're referring to is this one?

Yes, that's the one. And thanks for the link tips. Let's see if I can get it to work...

A few more Remedios Varo paintings that make me think of RH's Realm of the Elderlings:
Portrait of Dr Ignacio Chavez
The alchemist
Troubadour
To women's happiness
Plant architecture
Revelation or the clockmaker
Discovery

There are heaps more, but I think that'll do.

I decided not to look at your song links yet since I still haven't read Dragon Haven and would rather not risk spoilers. Personally, I've never found a song that reminded me of RH's books. But I tend not to listen to song lyrics much anyway, so for me a song would have to get the instrumental style/mood right.

RE: Character portrait - Nuytsia - Oct-07-2010

Aieeeee those paintings creep me out!
It's funny how people can have such specific ideas about certain characters! I don't seem to have a concrete idea of what I think a character looks like until someone says 'here's them' and I say 'GAK NO!' (usually when I see a book cover this happens!!!!)
Maybe I don't visualise them as real people at all!

RE: Character portrait - NeverBeenWise - Oct-12-2010

Prince Poppycock (with whom I have quite an obsession, haha) reminds me of a more modern, flamboyant Fool.

http://www.remotepatrolled.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Prince-Poppycock-Americas-Got-Talent.png

RE: Character portrait - Rendezvous - Oct-12-2010

I didnt agree with the photo you linked, but google search changed my mind..

RE: Character portrait - Atthis - Oct-12-2010

Hmmm, I'm not too sure about that Prince Poppycock either. His expressions don't remind me of the Fool much.

I have to agree with Nuytsia. I never really have a specific idea of a character's face either. Every time I read a book, the essence of the character slowly takes form, with expressions and personality traits having much more impact than actual physical descriptions. In a way that's a really good thing, because it means that my personal imagined character can never be replaced by seeing a movie version of the character - not that I think there's a danger of that with RH's books.