thePlenty.net Forums
The great tie-in fiction debate - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: The great tie-in fiction debate (/thread-208.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

The great tie-in fiction debate - Albertosaurus Rex - Oct-13-2010

Yes, you know they exist, but you aren't supposed to actually read them. You just know they're of low quality, cynical cash-ins by money-grabbing hacks trying to entice you to buy books based on your favorite game/film/tv series/whatever. There might be a few good authors writing tie-ins, but they're just the exception that proves the rule.

At least, that's the conventional wisdom on tie-in novels. Meanwhile, they sell quite well, meaning that they must appeal to somebody. Should we be so generalizing? After all, that's what the literary snobs are saying about the fantasy genre as a whole too, right?

When I was in my teens, I read a whole lot of novels based on Magic: the Gathering. In fact, I tried to read all of them. But looking back, most of them were mediocre and the only books I would wholeheartedly recommend to others are those by Jeff Grubb. (The Brothers' War and the Ice Age cycle: The Gathering Dark, The Eternal Ice and The Shattered Alliance.) When I realised this, I stopped reading them and basically swore off tie-ins.

However, I've recently started looking at the tie-ins again. After all, things shouldn't be judged by their worst examples. So I recently read Keith Baker's Eberron tie-in The City of Towers, which was... well, mediocre to be fair. However, I've recently heard good things about Dan Abnett's Warhammer 40k novels, and because what I've seen of the setting is awesome, I will be giving his books a go in the near future. Meanwhile, I'm also eyeing Troy Denning's recently reprinted Prism Pentad. (Based on Dark Sun.)

So, what other gems could I be missing by neglecting tie-in fiction? And what are your experiences with it?

RE: The great tie-in fiction debate - Nuytsia - Oct-13-2010

I can't recall having actually read anything that would qualify.... although I am pretty sure somewhere around here are some books based on the Star Trek TV series....

I have been thinking of getting the novels based on the Dragon Age computer game/s but I can't help but think they WILL be crumby, but maybe I AM being unfair!

RE: The great tie-in fiction debate - Mervi - Oct-14-2010

Years and years ago I read some of the tie-in books for the X-files. Both the YA series that were mostly based on actual episodes and the couple of longer novels that just took the characters and gave them brand new adventures. I don't think they were that awful. I remember thinking that there wasn't a very consistent level of quality, but I think I even really liked one or two of the actual novels.

RE: The great tie-in fiction debate - 'thul - Oct-14-2010

These beings enjoy reading the books based on the computer game series "starcraft", "warcraft" & "diablo". They presume such books fit the category of "tie-in". They would also recommend those books. All of them.

RE: The great tie-in fiction debate - Albertosaurus Rex - Oct-15-2010

(Oct-13-2010, 02:20 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: However, I've recently started looking at the tie-ins again. After all, things shouldn't be judged by their worst examples. So I recently read Keith Baker's Eberron tie-in The City of Towers, which was... well, mediocre to be fair. However, I've recently heard good things about Dan Abnett's Warhammer 40k novels, and because what I've seen of the setting is awesome, I will be giving his books a go in the near future.

You know, I missed an opportunity there. I could have typed: " However, I've recently heard good things about Dan Abnett's Warhammer 40k novels, and because what I've seen of the setting is awesome, I will be giving his books a go in the near future (As opposed to THE GRIM DARK FUTURE IN WHICH THERE IS ONLY WAR!)."

...Anyway. I have to admit one thing: the thought of reading books based on films or tv series weirds me out. Apart from the fact that they are often non-canon, the idea of reading about characters that started out as being portrayed by actors is strange to me. When you're reading a book based on a card game/miniatures game/RPG, it fills in the background material of that game, while in the case of a tv tie-in, the background is already filled in... if that statement makes any sense to you.

I must also admit that, despite what I have stated above, the sight of authors who write only tie-ins tends to sadden me sometimes. I check their bibliography and it sometimes turns out that they hop from RPG tie-in to tv tie-in to videogame tie-in and it gives me this feeling of "You're just in it for the money, right?"

RE: The great tie-in fiction debate - Nuytsia - Oct-15-2010

(Oct-15-2010, 01:37 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: You know, I missed an opportunity there. I could have typed: " However, I've recently heard good things about Dan Abnett's Warhammer 40k novels, and because what I've seen of the setting is awesome, I will be giving his books a go in the near future (As opposed to THE GRIM DARK FUTURE IN WHICH THERE IS ONLY WAR!)."
All I know is about Warhammer is it's got space marines.... oh yes and I had heard that in the grim dark future there is only war too now that you mention it.

(Oct-15-2010, 01:37 PM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: I must also admit that, despite what I have stated above, the sight of authors who write only tie-ins tends to sadden me sometimes. I check their bibliography and it sometimes turns out that they hop from RPG tie-in to tv tie-in to videogame tie-in and it gives me this feeling of "You're just in it for the money, right?"

Yep I'm sure that would be true for a lot of these things. Then again a lot of people are 'just in it for the money' in a whole range of careers! If that's what they are happy doing, fair enough. But it wouldn't make me expect great things of the books!
I was thinking just the other day that authors really must not make a lot of money ...... I am not sure how much it varies in different countries, or from author to author (presumably as you get more successful you get better deals), but I was just looking at how MANY books an author had written and was marvelling at it, but I am pretty sure she's not living the high life!
So I could kind of understand why some authors might do SOME writing that might not take too much of their time (?) if it pays well enough, as an income supplement. I guess it's that or waitressing .... or something!

I must admit one of the reasons I didn't buy those books based on the computer game is that they are written by the guy that I think was head writer on the game, and I think geeees these books are the same price as something by Robin Hobb and this guy isn't even a 'real' writer!

RE: The great tie-in fiction debate - 'thul - Oct-15-2010

One advantage if one of the fellows behind a game is behind the book in some way, is that it is likely to be "canon" towards the game storyline...

RE: The great tie-in fiction debate - Albertosaurus Rex - Oct-15-2010

I remember a discussion once on Pat's Fantasyhotlist about tie-in fiction. It was pretty interesting; the blog owner had read a Forgotten Realms trilogy and commented how it was better than most tie-in fiction, but still handicapped by being a tie-in. In the comments section, a discussion ensued between the blog owner, the author and a few authors. It can be found here and contains some interesting arguments.

One of the things noted is that a midlist tie-in novel sells better than a non-tie-in midlist novel. The reasoning following is that this doesn't encourage ambition. Because the books come with a built-in fanbase, they will sell anyway.

By the way, the author I mentioned as writing the best MtG novels, Jeff Grubb? Turns out he only writes tie-ins too, including Forgotten Realms, Starcraft and Warcraft. Even though I like his writing, I am loath to give these books a try because I am not invested at all in those universes.

By the way, The Wertzone has pretty good Warhammer 40k for newbies article over here. I had previously only played the related videogame Dawn of War, which was awesome. It was his article that renewed my interest in 40k, and there is now a Dan Abnett omnibus waiting on my to-read pile...

RE: The great tie-in fiction debate - Farseer - Oct-17-2010

(Oct-14-2010, 07:36 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: These beings enjoy reading the books based on the computer game series "starcraft", "warcraft" & "diablo". They presume such books fit the category of "tie-in". They would also recommend those books. All of them.

Yes, I think I'd actually really enjoy these types of books as the World of Warcraft storyline interests me a LOT (have mentioned that elsewhere), even though I don't play the game (no time and a serious lack of gaming capability are my excuses!!). I often have long chats with my boys about what they're up to on WOW (actually just had a big discussion with them on the upgrades/changes recently undertaken leading to the next big expansion P ), and my reading of the books would enhance my understanding as well as add to my ability to discuss things without having to actually play. I have looked for a number of WOW-based books so will have to soon take the next step and BUY them!

As I have long been a huge Star Wars fan, we own every Star Wars-related novel I've ever been able to purchase and I've enjoyed them all. I agree with your comment AR Because the books come with a built-in fanbase, they will sell anyway and have approached reading these SW tie-ins coming more from a subject-related interest rather than a literary viewpoint, despite being someone who judges books mostly on their literary value and 'correctness'!

Tie-ins make for FANTASTIC transitionary reading tools for non-readers or those who don't have a great interest in reading and, for that reason especially, I think they have huge value in the world of literature.

I also agree with your comment 'thul One advantage if one of the fellows behind a game is behind the book in some way, is that it is likely to be "canon" towards the game storyline... and would much rather read a tie-in book written or overseen by the original inventor of the plot and characters, than read a tie-in authored by someone who doesn't have an emotional connection. In the case of World of Warcraft, for an example, I think the Blizzard creators are amazing story-tellers (not to mention obviously talented business people for having marketed and sold their creation on such a huge scale!) and it is this story-telling ability that would draw me to the WOW-related works, rather than their writing ability.

I also agree with you, Nuytsia (I'm doing lots of agreeing today Big Grin !) - re So I could kind of understand why some authors might do SOME writing that might not take too much of their time (?) if it pays well enough, as an income supplement. I guess it's that or waitressing .... or something!. We can't all be professional or elite in our field and someone has to do the dirty tie-in work.

RE: The great tie-in fiction debate - Albertosaurus Rex - Oct-18-2010

You know what videogame series doesn't have tie-ins, but should totally have them? Legacy of Kain. It had a great story that hasn't been finished yet and it is unlikely that any further games will be made. This is one story that deserves to be continued, dangit!

EDIT: Alright, technically two one-shot comics were released alongside two of the games, but the canonicity of them is uncertain.