thePlenty.net Forums
(General talk about) jokes and humour - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Everything else (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: (General talk about) jokes and humour (/thread-213.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

(General talk about) jokes and humour - Liquid Ice - Oct-14-2010

(Oct-14-2010, 08:44 AM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: Knock knock? Who's there? Mango. Mango who? (in indeterminate yet hilarious accent) Man go craaaazy when I knock on his door!

I lol'd

RE: Can we make a new "100 questions"? - Nuytsia - Oct-14-2010

(Oct-14-2010, 11:17 AM (UTC))Liquid Ice Wrote:
(Oct-14-2010, 08:44 AM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: Knock knock? Who's there? Mango. Mango who? (in indeterminate yet hilarious accent) Man go craaaazy when I knock on his door!
I lol'd

Bwahahha ...... a victim!!!! P
Wow my first joke, maybe I have an upcoming career in comedy?

RE: Can we make a new "100 questions"? - Mervi - Oct-14-2010

*totally hi-jacks the thread*

I don't know what's wrong with me, but I've never really understood the knock-knock jokes. Could it be because I heard my first of the kind when I was about 20? They're usually told by kids right? I *do* get other kinds of kids' jokes, but I guess I just missed the initiation for these... Uhhuh

RE: Can we make a new "100 questions"? - 'thul - Oct-14-2010

as far as 'thul knows, there is no useful point to them.

RE: Can we make a new "100 questions"? - Nuytsia - Oct-15-2010

Mervi yes they are definitely for kids! The stupider the better is the general idea...
Oh not the kid, the joke!!
But maybe it doesn't hurt either way......

I don't recall hearing one that was particularly spectacular humour, but I have laughed at them many a time. Not sure if it's a cultural thing.... 'sick' jokes..... not in bad taste but 'not actually funny but you laugh because they are so lame' ... sorta ...

RE: Can we make a new "100 questions"? - Mervi - Oct-15-2010

I've nothing against stupid humour. Big Grin Or kid's jokes. But there's usually something you have to figure out about a certain set of jokes. Like once you crack the "how do you know a banana has gone swimming" riddle
you can answer many more "how do you know" jokes.
It's just that I don't "get" the knock-knock ones. I suspect it's a language barrier thing.

RE: Can we make a new "100 questions"? - Nuytsia - Oct-15-2010

Hehehe the banana one is cute.

Yeah, what I was trying to say is the sort of humour where there is NOTHING to figure out, that's it exactly.

I think the classic example is 'Why did the chicken cross the road?'

But some knock, knock jokes probably DO have a an actual 'joke' to them, and that IS often (always?) a play on words of some sort. So it's possibly a language barrier? It's hard for me to even remember English isn't your native language when you are perfectly fluent in it, but I suppose there ARE some weird little sayings and nuances in English. Especially the Australian version! (or so I am told)

RE: Can we make a new "100 questions"? - Mervi - Oct-15-2010

(Oct-15-2010, 02:09 PM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: But some knock, knock jokes probably DO have a an actual 'joke' to them, and that IS often (always?) a play on words of some sort. So it's possibly a language barrier? It's hard for me to even remember English isn't your native language when you are perfectly fluent in it, but I suppose there ARE some weird little sayings and nuances in English. Especially the Australian version! (or so I am told)
Blushing Err I'm really not! I'm just relatively good at not using words and phrases I don't know! P

But I just saw a knock-knock joke I thought I understood. It went
- knock knock
- who's there?
- you know
- you know, who?
- yes! AVADA KEDAVRA!

It's just that I think it would have worked better like this
- knock knock
- who's there?
- You Know Who
- YOU SHALL NOT PASS!

RE: Can we make a new "100 questions"? - Nuytsia - Oct-20-2010

Hmmm how ironic, I don't get it!
I guess someone is known as 'you know who' and I don't know who that is!

RE: Can we make a new "100 questions"? - Mervi - Oct-20-2010

Most of the characters in the Harry Potter books absolutely refuse to say the Evil Overlord's name (which is Voldemort), instead substituting it with "You-Know-Who". "Avada Kedavra" is one of the "unforgivable curses" in the story - it is used to kill your opponent.
Uh, I don't think I should try to explain this further. What I think I SHOULD do is to split all this jokes talk to a new conversation. P