thePlenty.net Forums
Covers we actually like - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Covers we actually like (/thread-216.html)

Covers we actually like - Albertosaurus Rex - Oct-27-2010

So "How much does cover art influence you?" served mostly as a collection of terrible cover art. So let's celebrate some good cover art here.

I placed an order at Amazon UK today for this book. While I have read reviews and interviews with the author, it's the cover that first drew my attention:

[Image: 41jn8zmoS6L.jpg]

Now that's a minimalist cover done right! A lot of white background and some intriguing stuff: a bunch of white ants crawling over a statue's head.

[Image: 41XAGC7D4AL.jpg]

This one I have written about before. Another minimalist triumph; the perfect cover for a novella about Heaven and Hell.

RE: Covers we actually like - Mervi - Oct-27-2010

The book I'm currently reading, an anthology titled Field of Thirteen. For a horse-person like myself, that photo and how it's used is just perfection. It somehow captures a single moment in a way that I both understand fully and can not find adequate words to explain. It's about the touch, the connection, the feeling. The way the photo is framed (no heads, either the jockey's or the horse's) is very clever, because we don't get to see the any emotions, just the connection. The fonts are strong and clear and don't try to steal the attention from the photo. And I *think* (but prove me wrong if you must) that the framing and colours etc are dramatic enough to catch your attention even if you're not a horse person.
Also, this cover looks very good in a table next to a pot of tea and a platter full of chocolate biscuits!

The other cover that comes to mind is the Finnish translation of Tolkien's Tree and Leaf. First I have to say the photo doesn't do justice to the real thing when you have it in your hands. The outline of the tree (Tolkien's own drawing) is traced in gold, so it doesn't look as dark/flat as the scanner makes it appear here. And the green background actually consist of delicately veined leaves and the paper feels a bit rough and organic in your hands.

RE: Covers we actually like - 'thul - Oct-28-2010

Combined with your description, 'thul likes that cover for "tree and leaf".

RE: Covers we actually like - Nuytsia - Oct-28-2010

Hmmm these are very impressive...... I can't think of any!

RE: Covers we actually like - Albertosaurus Rex - Nov-02-2010

Last Dragon arrived a few days ago and the cover looks even better in reality. It's incredibly detailed because it's an actual sculpture. As in, an actual sculpture made specifically for the book. Damn, now those are production values! I appear to have one of the last fresh copies; most bookstores list the book as unavailable. This is what I'm going to read once I'm done with my Gaunt's Ghosts omnibus.

RE: Covers we actually like - joost - Nov-02-2010

Not really the cover (although it's a cover I like: plain green), but the Dutch translation of Lord of the rings my mom has is the best version I've ever seen:
[Image: lotr.jpg]
The items next to it are used to show its size: This is the complete LotR including the annexes (almost 1500 pages) in a pocket edition!

RE: Covers we actually like - redchild - Nov-16-2010

Ran across this cover while researching images

[Image: The_City_Man_original.JPG?1262663299]

RE: Covers we actually like - danieladamsmith - Apr-07-2011

[Image: 9780575081406.jpg]
[Image: China%20Mieville_2000_Perdido%20Street%20Station.jpg]