thePlenty.net Forums
Potential future conflicts and problems in the rain wild chronicles] [spoilers] - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Potential future conflicts and problems in the rain wild chronicles] [spoilers] (/thread-222.html)

Pages: 1 2

Potential future conflicts and problems in the rain wild chronicles] [spoilers] - assasin - Nov-25-2010

I just want to list the various potetial future conflicts and problems in the books.

conflicts

The first will probably be Tarmans modifications. The kelsingra dragons seem to be able to ignore this. But will the various councils. Or even Tintaglia.

Another potential problem is the possesion of kelsingra and the rest of the arable land. While the council obviously used the drgons as an excuse to find it. Will the dragons back up the expeditions claim and help them keep it

An obvious potential conflict would be alice and hest. She has no proof f his infidelity unless she ruins her friend [and hests close friends] reputations. Will she use an excuse that she cheated on him. Will he accept that. He does have his inheritence [and fortune] on the line.

The last conflict that I can think of is the fate of the chacedean "merchants". Will they manage to get what they are looking for. Will they be arrested. I can think og some very intersting plotlines to end the conflict.

problems

A major problem I can see is traveling up the river. Tarman is the only boat I can think of that can cral through the mud. Will a deep channel be found through it. Or will the tarman be the only barge capable of moving through it.

Another problem I can see is colonists and supplies. They'll need a lot of them to rebuild the city. They'll need to be transported and controlled.

RE: Potential future conflicts and problems in the rain wild chronicles] [spoilers] - 'thul - Nov-25-2010

Those are all pretty obvious problems...

the one we've been pondering is how long it'll take Thamyra to learn how to fly... and from that how far she'll be able to fly... 'thul have long been rather fascinated by such changes...

RE: Potential future conflicts and problems in the rain wild chronicles] [spoilers] - redchild - Dec-02-2010

(Nov-25-2010, 04:39 AM (UTC))assasin Wrote: The first will probably be Tarmans modifications. The kelsingra dragons seem to be able to ignore this. But will the various councils. Or even Tintaglia.

I too wonder whether Tarman experiences any conflicts with his being melded with another wizardwood cocoon.

Quote:Another potential problem is the possesion of kelsingra and the rest of the arable land. While the council obviously used the drgons as an excuse to find it. Will the dragons back up the expeditions claim and help them keep it
Quote:The last conflict that I can think of is the fate of the chacedean "merchants". Will they manage to get what they are looking for. Will they be arrested. I can think og some very intersting plotlines to end the conflict.

Also, will the news of Kelsingra's discovery bring in unwanted attention? Looters, maybe, or dragon hunters?

Quote:An obvious potential conflict would be alice and hest. She has no proof f his infidelity unless she ruins her friend [and hests close friends] reputations. Will she use an excuse that she cheated on him. Will he accept that. He does have his inheritence [and fortune] on the line.

I don't think Alise much cares anymore of her ties to Bingtown. And she does have proof of Hest's infidelity: Sedric. I am not sure that Sedric has detached himself from Bingtown as thoroughly as Alise, but I believe his loyalties lie with her much more than with Hest.

And, though not really a 'problem,' I'm interested in the river that supposedly leads to the source of the white acid water. It's not exactly a "problem," per se, but it is something ever present in the environment that is probably going to be addressed. On one hand, finding a way to eliminate the source of acid water may make journeys through the Rain Wilds much safer for both people and any future generations of migrating serpents. On the other, the acid waters are the main natural defense the Rain Wilds and Kelsingra have against invaders who do not have possession of a liveship.

RE: Potential future conflicts and problems in the rain wild chronicles] [spoilers] - assasin - Dec-02-2010

What I meant was that she could only prove it if she humiliated sedric. I don't think its in her personality to do that.

RE: Potential future conflicts and problems in the rain wild chronicles] [spoilers] - redchild - Dec-03-2010

Yeah that's what I meant when I mentioned that it really depends on whether Sedric is still attached to Bingtown and his reputation there. Otherwise, I don't think they have much of a reason to bring up Bingtown. They both seem to have left it behind and are trying to start new lives in Kelsingra.

But I'm also concerned about Alise's library of Elderling artifacts. Did Hest declare Alise as gone for good and sell them off? Or if his relationship with Sedric is revealed will he destroy them out of anger?

Another possible problem is Trehaug's state after the flood. How will the Kelsingra group manage to get supplies? If they must trade through Bingtown then I can see how things might get a bit sticky for Alise and Sedric.

I also wonder whether the success of the expedition will change the Rain Wilders' perceptions of the outcasts.

RE: Potential future conflicts and problems in the rain wild chronicles] [spoilers] - assasin - Dec-03-2010

With regards to the library alise does have copies. Though the scrolls are valuable she doesnt really need them.

I wonder if everything in kelsingra has rotted.She might find a new library. Though the walls are made of memory stone arent they. She might be able to record from that.

With regards to the flood.I am pretty sure they will find some way to transport supplies to the ship if the docks are not repaired. Maybe just lowering the supplies onto a boat with a rope.

The ones who went on the expedition would be elderlings so I guess so. The lot of the rest probably wouldnt change unless they immigrate to [hopefully controolled by the expedition] kelsingra.

RE: Potential future conflicts and problems in the rain wild chronicles] [spoilers] - redchild - Dec-04-2010

Trehaug itself is probably in desperate need of supplies. It may be more efficient for Tarman to travel straight to Bingtown and trade there.

I don't think being an outcast will automatically mean they will be given contact with dragon blood. Right now their social status is somewhat analogous with the Witted in the Six Duchies: while the Keepers and the Coterie both performed very heroic acts, I don't believe their success will change people's perspectives overnight. It's a start, though.

RE: Potential future conflicts and problems in the rain wild chronicles] [spoilers] - assasin - Dec-04-2010

They are always in need of supplies. Maybe you are right. I'm pretty sure that most of the things the expedition would need would be higher than the flood zone though. I guess we'll hav to wait and see. Though they will have to ship some thinga from bingtown [seed. lifestock, etc.] leftrin did say they'll wait for the rains to end.

What I meant was that the social status would change seeing as they live in a city ruled by ex-outcasts. Not that they'll "Change" into elderlings.

Another problem. Tarman isnt very big. How are they going to be able transport the lifestock they need. It is possible that they can take the mountain root across the skill road but I think that they woud have to explore first. or maybe hey'll find a deeper channel through the swamp and build more locks by cassarick.

RE: Potential future conflicts and problems in the rain wild chronicles] [spoilers] - redchild - Dec-04-2010

(Dec-04-2010, 05:10 AM (UTC))assasin Wrote: What I meant was that the social status would change seeing as they live in a city ruled by ex-outcasts. Not that they'll "Change" into elderlings.

Sorry, got a bit confused there Surrender But very interesting that you say that the outcasts would find acceptance if they travel to Kelsingra. Rain Wilders don't travel much beyond Bingtown so packing up and making the journey to a recently discovered Elderling city would probably only appeal to certain types of people: outcasts, misfits, Elderling/dragon enthusiasts, treasure hunters, etc.

Finding a way to make the journey easier (or even possible without Tarman) would also be a challenge. Digging a deeper channel through the swamps for other barges would be a massive undertaking that I doubt the Council would fund given the aftermath of the flood, but it seems the most practical way atm. However the possibility that a Skill Road or Pillar is available to link Kelsingra with Cassarick or someplace near it is not unlikely. A dragon should be able to spot a Skill Road from the air as no trees grow on it.

They might be able to use the dragons to help haul supplies and livestock. Maybe fashion up carriages for two dragons to sling between them or some sort of pack attached to the body. Some of the dragons would probably never agree to this but I imagine some like Heeby, Relpda, and maybe even Mercor would do it.

If I have it correctly, Kelsingra is the city Fitz followed Verity to? I wonder if the dragons will remember what it is and warn their Keepers about its effect on humans. Of course, the Keepers being in the middle of transforming into Elderlings, the liquid might have a different effect on them.

RE: Potential future conflicts and problems in the rain wild chronicles] [spoilers] - 'thul - Dec-04-2010

RotE dragons are naturally capable of flight (as in non-magically assisted flight), and will therefore have vast wingspans... It will be near impossible to fashion something that can be hung between two dragons... both due to the varied motions of wings and due to the fact that two dragons flying side by side with a constant distance between each other for any distance is highly unlikely... if not practically impossible...

also, dragons have a hard enough time moving a human being unharmed... It will be much harder to move say a cow unharmed... and there's the limits on how much weight a dragon can move over any speakable distance...

livestock would have to be transported in small quantities, but they would not need vast herds for the initial populace... they would also be able to transport additional settlers/livestock using other barges from trehaug/cassarick... These beings doubt the majority of rain wild traders would want to move... they are too used to the way their civilization has been the past centuries, they would quite simply be unable to work well in a civilization so different... when used to living in suspended cities, it will be unnatural for them to live in ground-bound society...

'thul has understood it so that there are multiple ruined elderling cities in those mountains, but they doubt the river that Verity dipped his arms in is in kelsingra. They theorize that the silvery skill river is somewhere along the borders of the other branch, the acidic river...