thePlenty.net Forums
Favorite tv shows - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Favorite tv shows (/thread-232.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Favorite tv shows - Albertosaurus Rex - Dec-23-2010

I'm surprised this topic isn't here yet. (Alright, there's favorite comedy shows...)

Some of my faves in no particular order:

Avatar: The Last Airbender - Yeah, I know I made a thread about this one already. So it's a kids' show? So what? I believe this show is up there with the best.

Battlestar Galactica (the new series) - Okay, so the ending was stupid. Doesn't matter. It was still a highly impressive show most of the time.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer and of course its spinoff Angel. A thoroughly enjoyable mix of drama and comedy.

Babylon 5 - But only the first four seasons. I couldn't care about season 5 or the spinoff Crusade. Haven't seen the movies yet.

Lost - One of the craziest stories I've ever seen. Again, not too sure about the ending, but what a ride has it been!

The West Wing - Although I know that it's important to keep informed about politics, I don't find it particularly interesting. It all goes to show that if a show is well made, it can make people care. It was hard for me to get into, but I was rewarded with an excellent show.

RE: Favorite tv shows - joost - Dec-23-2010

- Buffy and Angel are absolute number one with me.
- Firefly (and Serenity. First time a failed TV-show gets made into a movie, I think. Other way round had been done before of course (Buffy))
- Dollhouse
- Bones
- How I met your mother
- The X-files
- The guild
- The Sarah Connor chronicles
- Heroes (although S1 was the best, and S2/3 weren't that good. I have S4 lying here, it's on the to-view pile)
- And an old favourite: Catweazle

RE: Favorite tv shows - redchild - Dec-24-2010

I love Battlestar also. I actually got to liking the ending the second time I got around to watching it (the first time I was kind of confused, but neutral.) I just think it could have been so much better had they had more time and expanded it some more. It seemed rushed to me, so that it was like a blitz where one important scene happens, rapidly followed by another equally demanding scene. However, I think it gave the story and the characters closure, which I find is very difficult to do in most stories.

RE: Favorite tv shows - Albertosaurus Rex - Dec-24-2010

Joost: I am in the same position on Heroes as you are. I haven't seen season 4 either. The first season was brilliant. You just felt that the writers knew exactly where they were going and it was satisfying to see all the storylines come together in the end. However, in S2/3, it became increasingly obvious that they didn't really know where to go after S1 and a whole lot of stuff came out of nowhere and then went nowhere. It was still kinda entertaining, but it no longer had that special spark.

Redchild: Oh yes, there was closure. But what absolutely baffled me was

RE: Favorite tv shows - Farseer - Dec-26-2010

I'm not much of a TV viewer, and haven't been for some time, so my list will be pretty short!

The Big Bang Theory

Bones

Alias It's not on anymore but I loved it at the time and own all of the DVDs . I'm not sure why I enjoyed it so much as I usually hate anything with a "spy" in it. Possibly it had mainly to do with all of the Rambaldi twists and riddles? Same Exec Producer as 'Lost' but I Iiked Alias much, much more...

Top Gear I actually can't stand cars/talking about cars etc but this show is hilarious for some reason!

Ah, I think that's about it, unless we can talk about shows from years (decades!) ago ...?! Will have to think about those.
(Dec-23-2010, 07:18 PM (UTC))joost Wrote: - And an old favourite: Catweazle

This name seemed very familiar so I just did a search and ... I LOVED Catweazle when I was young Smiling !!! That makes the memories of shows on the good ol' ABC come flooding back ...

The Beachcombers
Worzel Gummage
Monkey
Seven Little Australians
Rush (starring John Waters)
Tenko
The Timeless Land
Swiss Family Robinson
The Goodies
Blake's 7
Gentle Ben
Degrassi Junior High
North and South

Showing my age with these Blushing but most of these "favourites" were on here in Australia when I was very young. No doubt there are many I've missed!

RE: Favorite tv shows - redchild - Dec-27-2010

(Dec-24-2010, 10:36 AM (UTC))Albertosaurus Rex Wrote: Redchild: Oh yes, there was closure. But what absolutely baffled me was

RE: Favorite tv shows - Albertosaurus Rex - Jan-04-2011

I'm currently four episodes into the fourth season of Heroes and I'm not very impressed. I will see it through, but based on the show's steady decline since the close of the first season, I'm actually glad that it's over now. Some storylines are getting so stupid...

RE: Favorite tv shows - 'thul - Jan-04-2011

these beings enjoy watching various vampire-mythos series as well as some science fiction like star wars clone wars and stargate universe.

RE: Favorite tv shows - Nuytsia - Jan-12-2011

(Dec-26-2010, 02:29 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: I'm not much of a TV viewer, and haven't been for some time, so my list will be pretty short!

Monkey

Hey Farseer did you see they had on TV a few weeks back a remake of Monkey??? I am not sure if this was like a movie length pilot for a remake of the series or just a one-off movie.
It was ok, but it could have been a whole lot better.
The music wasn't very good, nor were the fight scenes.

(Dec-26-2010, 02:29 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Rush (starring John Waters)

Hey is that the show they did a parody of on .... The Late Show. Like they did voice overs of silly dialogue instead of the original sound track....
YES here it is my god it has its own imdb page
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105050/

RE: Favorite tv shows - Farseer - Jan-12-2011

(Jan-12-2011, 07:08 AM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: Hey Farseer did you see they had on TV a few weeks back a remake of Monkey???

No, I didn't see that/know about it! A remake? NO WAY! Anything other than the original would be insulting to King Monkey!! I have the DVDs anyhow (yes, I'm being fair dinkum, I went out and bought the DVD sets Blushing) and the kids love them! Now I'm never going to get to sleep with the theme song playing in my head...thanks!!!!! The music made the show...

(Jan-12-2011, 07:08 AM (UTC))Nuytsia Wrote: Hey is that the show they did a parody of on .... The Late Show.

Didn't ever see that either. Just found the year that Rush was originally made...1974...I wasn't even a year old by then so obviously the shows I saw were ABC re-runs on MUCH later! P I think I was a little in love with John Waters at the time, from lots of Playschool viewing!! He was my favourite presenter, and I can even remember him dressing up in a soldier's top hat and prancing around to the "Soldier, soldier, won't you marry me" song with Noni Hazelhurst! Scary...that I liked it AND that I remember it!!!