thePlenty.net Forums
Favorite tv shows - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Favorite tv shows (/thread-232.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: Favorite tv shows - Albertosaurus Rex - Nov-11-2011

I've recently watched the first three seasons of How I Met Your Mother and I loved it. I find it funny how Barney is my favorite character - if I knew someone like him in real life I would despise him.

Well, I finally got myself a Caprica boxset. Watched the pilot movie yesterday and I actually liked it a lot.

EDIT: I just realized there's more I have to say... I bought a copy yesterday of Zuko's Story, a prequel comic to The Last Airbender. (That is, the film adaptation, not the original series.) Since the film is almost universally reviled, that means it has to suck, right? Well, actually not. The writers went out of their way to include details from the animated series and have actually stated that they wrote it to be compatable with the series as well. Apart from Zuko and Iroh being drawn as their movie counterparts, it fits right right into the series continuity. In fact, I might like it even more than that Lost Tales collection I bought a while back, which had a few stories that filled in gaps but mostly contained shory, comedic fluff stories that fell flat. (And then there's the bottom of the barrel: "Reach for the Toph", four pages that are a pure waste of time. "Private Fire", though, was absolutely hilarious.) So I wholeheartedly recommend Zuko's Story.

[Image: small]

RE: Favorite tv shows - Farseer - Nov-16-2011

(Oct-05-2011, 12:08 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: I was sad to discover tonight that Spicks and Specks will be finishing up this year. Crying I haven't watched it too regularly over the years but it is a very funny show that will be missed once it goes off the air.

Actually, having just watched only the last few minutes of the second-last episode, I think that I may have got myself into a bit of a muddle and attributed much more worth to it than I possibly should have, and wonder if I may have been confusing myself with Rockwiz at the time of posting. Undecided

I do like Spicks and Specks to a certain degree but I enjoy watching Rockwiz far more. The segment where each team must guess which song is being sung, even though the person singing must exchange the original lyrics with passages read out of books, is hilarious! It would be like me asking one of you to sing the first paragraph of AA to the tune of The Gambler and then everyone had to guess what the song was and who was the recording artist. Very difficult but very funny when the book is something like a cookbook or an instruction manual!

RE: Favorite tv shows - redchild - Nov-23-2011

I've been watching all of 30 Rock lately.

Liz Lemon is my brother.

RE: Favorite tv shows - joost - Dec-17-2011

I've watched the 3rd season of Beauty and the geek Australia last week. For some very odd reason I often like the Australian version of otherwise mediocre shows (see my comments on Masterchef Australia from a while ago). I guess the Aussie way just fits me Smiling. There were some really cool people on that show (Sarah and Jimmy in particular).

Other shows I've been watching:
- Planetes: An anime series about space junk cleaners. Most of the time this is centered around the personal growth of characters, and I love character driven shows. The last part of the series becomes a bit more serious with the emphasis on the question 'Why should humanity explore space when there are so many problems at home?'. The question isn't answered fully, but themes like this lifted the show above a lot of other anime series I've watched recently.
- The IT crowd: British humour, I love it. Plus I'm a computer geek.
- Bones season 6: I'm not a huge fan of crime-series, but the people in Bones make it a show that I like. Especially David Boreanaz and Michaela Conlin make this one of my favourite shows.
- The big bang theory season 4: See IT-crowd: I'm a geek. I love geeky stuff. And TBB brings a lot of geekiness. Some people don't like the addition of Bernardette and Amy, but I liked that the group was expanding.
- Rin, daughters of Mnemosyne: An anime-series about an immortal private detective and her immortal adversary. A lot of nude (sometime too much), but a lot of good plot twists too.

RE: Favorite tv shows - Farseer - Dec-17-2011

(Dec-17-2011, 11:02 AM (UTC))joost Wrote: I've watched the 3rd season of Beauty and the geek Australia last week.

I didn't catch any of the third season but have enjoyed watching some of the other shows from previous seasons. Some of the geek transformations have been astounding, and I also really like the geekiness and the hilarity that the geeks bring to the show. Clapping Actually, it's only the geeks who make the show watchable for me most times BUT sometimes the beauties do surprise me.

(Dec-17-2011, 11:02 AM (UTC))joost Wrote: I guess the Aussie way just fits me Smiling.

Slurp

(Dec-17-2011, 11:02 AM (UTC))joost Wrote: Other shows I've been watching:
- Bones season 6: I'm not a huge fan of crime-series, but the people in Bones make it a show that I like.

For me also. As well as Booth, I just love Bones as a character - she is so much like Sheldon (Cooper) in her idiosyncrasies! Big Grin For me, the show itself is a stand-out among the ridiculous quantity of other crime shows on offer, though The Mentalist has its moments too...but I'm not sure if it's because the show is good or because I'm biased simply because Simon Baker (who plays Patrick Jane) is an Aussie! P

Funnily enough, it's only David Boreanaz's presence that makes me consider finally getting around to possibly watching some of Buffy or Angel. Was it this connection that intrigued you enough to watch Bones in the first place, joost?

(Dec-17-2011, 11:02 AM (UTC))joost Wrote: The big bang theory season 4: See IT-crowd: I'm a geek. I love geeky stuff. And TBB brings a lot of geekiness. Some people don't like the addition of Bernardette and Amy, but I liked that the group was expanding.

I'd never have described myself as a geek but there is a strong possibility that I've simply been in denial... P ...needless to say, I do love geeky stuff too.

The first season restarted here last week and I have laughed myself silly despite watching the shows countless times before. Big Grin While I must admit that I have enjoyed the latest season less than the others, I agree that I like what B and A bring to the show, and how they have allowed the other characters to evolve. I'm not sure WHY my enjoyment has lessened but the gags just seem to be getting smuttier and 'cheaper' to me somehow? Not that things have ever been 'clean' at all but... Undecided ... still good value fun though.

RE: Favorite tv shows - 'thul - Dec-17-2011

These beings are only watching three shows currently (a few non-watches now are in (mid)seasonal break time.)

Sanctuary
Star Wars: The clone wars
Terra Nova

All good shows...

RE: Favorite tv shows - joost - Dec-17-2011

(Dec-17-2011, 01:23 PM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Funnily enough, it's only David Boreanaz's presence that makes me consider finally getting around to possibly watching some of Buffy or Angel. Was it this connection that intrigued you enough to watch Bones in the first place, joost?
Yes, I started watching Bones because of David.

And you really should watch Buffy and Angel. They are, for me, the best that TV ever had to offer.

Dutch TV is showing S1 from BATG Australia, so I'm watching that, one episode per week, too. They broadcasted S2 before that.

RE: Favorite tv shows - Farseer - Dec-18-2011

(Dec-17-2011, 01:45 PM (UTC))joost Wrote: And you really should watch Buffy and Angel. They are, for me, the best that TV ever had to offer.

Just for you, joost...I will. If I can watch Priscilla for you, well... P

My eldest son will be home by Christmas Eve so, on his way through, maybe I can have him organise to bring me a few Buffy episodes (weekly rentals) to begin with. Will let you know how I go!

@thul - Sanctuary is not available to me here yet, although those in Australia who are able to receive Pay TV or ABC2 may have seen it?

RE: Favorite tv shows - 'thul - Dec-18-2011

Not available? odd... its in its fourth season, so it should be available...

[slightly condescending, yet innocently joking]
Even in a place as backwards as down under
[/end]

RE: Favorite tv shows - joost - Dec-18-2011

If you first want to watch some episodes to see if you like it, I'd suggest watching the following episodes:

Buffy:
Season 1episode 12: Prophecy girl
Season 2 episode 17: Passion
Season 3 episode 18: Earshot
Season 4 episode 10: Hush
Season 5 episode 16: The body
Season 6 episode 7: One more, with feeling
Season 7 episode 7: Conversations with dead people

Angel:
Season 1 episode 1: City of
Season2 episode 2: Are you now or have you ever been
Season 3 episode 13: Waiting in the wings