thePlenty.net Forums
Favorite tv shows - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Favorite tv shows (/thread-232.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: Favorite tv shows - redchild - Mar-07-2011

So I finished watching all five seasons of Daria. Definitely will forever be one of my favorites shows, evar. Belatedly sad to know that the show has ended, but glad that it never reached a point when it started to turn stale (like the Simpsons.)

Better to die young than turn old! Pirate

RE: Favorite tv shows - Oblivia - Mar-26-2011

Any US wrestling (yes, I DO know that it's all fake but it's so entertaining. And don't forget the totty like Jeff Hardy, Shannon Moore etc), Legend of The Seeker, True Blood, Skins, Being Human, NCIS and CSI New York. I'm sure I'll remember more as times goes on.

RE: Favorite tv shows - danieladamsmith - Apr-07-2011

The Wire...I think it's the best thing ever done for TV. 60 episodes and one long tale. It's the Great Modern American Novel about the city. I have never seen character development so intricate or so well done.

After that....

Six Feet Under & Deadwood...

And then I might add...BSG the new one, Kolchak: The Night Stalker....And the UK OFFICE

RE: Favorite tv shows - joost - Apr-07-2011

I recently discovered The big bang theory. While formulaic, the nerd humour is something I can appreciate.

RE: Favorite tv shows - FoolishGirl - Apr-07-2011

(Apr-07-2011, 12:50 PM (UTC))danieladamsmith Wrote: The Wire...I think it's the best thing ever done for TV. 60 episodes and one long tale. It's the Great Modern American Novel about the city...

Agree! Love that the tale is told from both sides. Even more rich than The Sopranos, which is saying something.

RE: Favorite tv shows - danieladamsmith - Apr-08-2011

(Apr-07-2011, 11:30 PM (UTC))FoolishGirl Wrote:
(Apr-07-2011, 12:50 PM (UTC))danieladamsmith Wrote: The Wire...I think it's the best thing ever done for TV. 60 episodes and one long tale. It's the Great Modern American Novel about the city...

Agree! Love that the tale is told from both sides. Even more rich than The Sopranos, which is saying something.

FG,
I've heard David Simon (The Wire's creator) talk about how a lot of shows use the Shakespearian Model for storytelling,,,and he decided to go Greek tragedy instead. It's really something special. You don't realize it the first few episodes. You think you are just watching another cop show...It's not. It's so much bigger than that.

RE: Favorite tv shows - Farseer - Apr-08-2011

(Apr-07-2011, 12:54 PM (UTC))joost Wrote: I recently discovered The big bang theory. While formulaic, the nerd humour is something I can appreciate.

I am so with you, joost. It's the only thing on Australian telly worth watching at the moment. Glad you made the discovery!

RE: Favorite tv shows - FoolishGirl - Apr-08-2011

(Apr-08-2011, 06:43 AM (UTC))danieladamsmith Wrote: FG,
I've heard David Simon (The Wire's creator) talk about how a lot of shows use the Shakespearian Model for storytelling,,,and he decided to go Greek tragedy instead. It's really something special. You don't realize it the first few episodes. You think you are just watching another cop show...It's not. It's so much bigger than that.

The fact that a TV writer even thinks about the above is amazing. What do you think the creators of Reality TV use as their model?

My son is looking over my shoulder right now and wants me to insert this guy here:
Slurp

RE: Favorite tv shows - Farseer - Apr-08-2011

To FoolishGirl's son, Slurp , I love it too! My favourite one though, is this little rant guy...!! Rant

RE: Favorite tv shows - redchild - Jun-26-2011

Thanks to a free trial with netfli(x)cks, I got to watch the Terminator: Sarah Conner Chronicles and the last few eps of Avatar the Last Airbender that I never got around to finish.

Really great shows. I really do hope SCC gets picked up again- I've heard there's still an active fan community fighting for it (even organizing a convention!) It's such a great continuation of the Terminator universe and worthy successor of the Cameron films. I also saw (more like skipped around) T: Salvation. Alone, it's already a terrible movie, but compared to every other Terminator production, it's like it shouldn't even exist. At the very least it makes SCC look that much superior. A single standalone episode of SCC blows all of Salvation and it's hammy, cliched acting and speshul effects out of the water. I can't believe somebody actually okay'd that script-- ugh. /rant

Avatar is one of those few shows that ties up so well, but still leaves some speculation. I'm looking forward to the new Korra series in the Avatar universe.