thePlenty.net Forums
Favorite tv shows - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Off-topic (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-11.html)
+--- Forum: Other universes (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Favorite tv shows (/thread-232.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: Favorite tv shows - Albertosaurus Rex - Jun-27-2011

I have never seen The Sarah Connor Chronicles, but I wholeheartedly agree about the terribleness of Terminator Salvation. The future in the previous movies looked dangerous and threatening, but that didn't really come across in TS.

I also agree on Avatar and am looking forward to Korra's story. Apparently, we're also getting a comic book continuation with the cast of the original series, so hopefully we'll finally find out what happened to a certain character's mother.

EDIT: Since we're on the subject of favorite tv shows... should I mention the ponies or is that obvious by now? Sometimes you just want a break from serious dramas and spend some time in a magical colorful ponyworld!

RE: Favorite tv shows - joost - Jun-27-2011

TSCC are definitely worth watching. There are several other cancelled shows that I wouldn't mind seeing more of: Firefly, Tru calling and Veronica Mars.

RE: Favorite tv shows - 'thul - Jun-29-2011

Now that their other favorites are on break, these beings have only one show left to watch, which fortunately started up again this weekend. True blood.

Quite different from most other such shows, but it does have that same HBO quality as Game of Thrones...

RE: Favorite tv shows - Nuytsia - Jul-01-2011

Wheee we finally got Deadwood in Australia!!!!!
It's about the only thing I really like watching at the moment, it's waaaaaaaaay above anything else right now.... in fact best thing I've seen on tele in AGES.

RE: Favorite tv shows - Farseer - Jul-12-2011

I have really enjoyed watching The Young Ones on ABC of late. Being a bit of a cricket fan, it was the presence of past cricket umpire, Dickie Bird, that first drew me to the show but the experiment itself soon sucked me in. It was interesting to see the changes that each of the participants experienced during the show, and the journey that they shared.

Funny that I also used to watch an entirely different show called The Young Ones on the ABC when I was very young!

RE: Favorite tv shows - joost - Jul-12-2011

Oh, I thought you meant the old one. I loved it (and Bottom too). I like that kind of absurd humour.

RE: Favorite tv shows - Nuytsia - Jul-17-2011

Yah I was trying to think when the heck Dickie Bird was on The Young Ones!!!!!
almost blew my mind for a sec

RE: Favorite tv shows - redchild - Jul-28-2011

Just saw the new trailer for the Legend of Korra. Looks like they've taken a futuristic/steampunk direction. Makes me wonder what place would elemental bending be in this industrialized society. Can't wait to see it.

RE: Favorite tv shows - Albertosaurus Rex - Jul-30-2011

Oh, I need to see this. Why is 2012 still so far away? One thing that struck me, though: the title that appeared at the end was The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra. Er... wasn't Avatar the name of the franchise? Especially considering that with Aang's offspring and a new avatar around, "the last airbender" doesn't really make any sense.

This has also recently come to my attention. It's the trailer for the new Thundercats remake and it looks epic:

I have said it before and I will say it again: western fantasy and SF should embrace animation. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Avatar, but it has its limitations because ultimately it's for children. Imagine what a fantasy animated series for adults could do...

EDIT: Since posting the trailer I've actually gone and watched the series premiere. No, it has been broadcast in the Netherlands yet. Let's just say I have my sources. I rather enjoyed it and will be watching future episodes. Has anyone else seen it?

RE: Favorite tv shows - 'thul - Jul-31-2011

These beings agree... Adult-aimed fantasy animation would be great. A lot of books have geographical features that are near-impossible to reproduce using both various climes and CGI. Like Alagaesia's 10,000m+ mountains. It is also easier to make the various creatures native to fantasy in animation... Its possible to make most of it in CGI, but only if you have a budget in the 10's of millions of dollars per episode.