thePlenty.net Forums
Favourite lines and vocab from Robin Hobb - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Favourite lines and vocab from Robin Hobb (/thread-23532.html)

Favourite lines and vocab from Robin Hobb - PennyBryn - Mar-23-2022

I've recently finished Assassin's Fate and, among all the other feelings, I found myself feeling really inspired by Hobb's wisdom, and how she expresses it through her phrasings and vocabulary. She has a way of phrasing or explaining things that is beautiful, relatable, and introspective. And she also uses the most random and fun vocabulary, I had to refer to a dictionary so many times! I read all the books on kindle so I went back and looked at all the lines I had highlighted throughout the whole series, and wanted to share a few of my favourites here, and see if anyone else had any favourite lines or vocab from Hobb. I don't think there are any spoilers below because all the lines are out of context, but let me know if I should add a spoiler tag.

From the Farseer Trilogy -
  • "So I awakened to darkness, and for a time lay quietly finding myself."
  • "An arrow swept through her and carried off forever whatever she had begun to tell us."
From the Liveship Traders Trilogy - 
  • "Many, of course, will rant and rave against the garment fate has woven for them, but they pick it up and don it all the same, and most wear it to the end of their days. You....you would rather go naked into the storm." 
  • "Half the evil in this world occurs while decent people stand by and do nothing wrong. It's not enough to refrain from evil, Trell. People have to attempt to do right, even if they believe they cannot succeed." ..... "That's how it's done, Trell. You break your heat against this stony world. You fling yourself at it, on the side of good, and you do not ask the cost."
From the Tawny Man Trilogy - 
  • "Sometimes I think there is more rest in that place between wakefulness and sleep than there is in true sleep. The mind walks in the twilight of both states, and finds the truths that are hidden alike by daylight and dreams. Things we are not ready to know abide in that place, awaiting that unguarded frame of mind."
  • "Name it as you will, claim it as you will, the world does not belong to men. Men belong to the world. You will not own the earth that eventually your body will become, nor will it recall the name it once answered to."
The Rain Wild Chronicles - 
  • "Humans could never accept the world as it was and live in it. They were always breaking it and living amongst the shattered pieces."
The Fitz and the Fool Trilogy - 
  • "When one has been disappointed for so long, hope becomes the enemy. One cannot be dashed to the earth unless one is lifted first, and I learned to avoid hope."
  • "Doing something stupid and reckless is not a better proof of your love than doing something measured and powerful."
And here are some of my favourite words that I had to look up throughout the series - 
  • Noisome - Adjective, having an extremely offensive smell. 
  • Foible - Noun, a minor weakness or eccentricity in someone's character.
  • Mellifluous - Adjective, (of a sound) pleasingly smooth and musical to hear.
  • Stentorian - Adjective, (of a person's voice) loud and powerful 
Would love to hear any favourite lines or words that you guys picked up throughout the series  Big Grin