thePlenty.net Forums
1st Print UK dustjacket variation for the original Assassin's Apprentice HC - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: 1st Print UK dustjacket variation for the original Assassin's Apprentice HC (/thread-23671.html)

1st Print UK dustjacket variation for the original Assassin's Apprentice HC - Luckyshot - Jul-22-2023

I've been working to get 1st prints of the UK version of the original trilogy (only version with all three in HC from the first Edition).  The second was the hardest to find a good deal on, but then I found the 1st and 2nd books being sold as a bundle for cheap, so I jumped on it.  I was looking at both copies of Assassin's Apprentice,, to decide which to keep in my collection, and found that one dustjacket has the price in the bottom right of the front interior of the DJ and the other does not.  The one missing it isn't clipped, as the DJ has all it's corners intact.  Both books have full number lines and are themselves identical.  Both DJs have the same ISDN printed on the inside back flap.  Searching around, I've found others with both and found both for sale.  No one seems to know why these variations exist or which is the true first DJ.  I feel like when I was first looking for Assassin's Apprentice I ran into an article mentioning the two and explaining them, but no amount of searching is finding it now.  Does anyone on here know why there are two versions?  Thanks!

RE: 1st Print UK dustjacket variation for the original Assassin's Apprentice HC - Willem - Aug-04-2023

(Jul-22-2023, 04:28 PM (UTC))Luckyshot Wrote: I've been working to get 1st prints of the UK version of the original trilogy (only version with all three in HC from the first Edition).  The second was the hardest to find a good deal on, but then I found the 1st and 2nd books being sold as a bundle for cheap, so I jumped on it.  I was looking at both copies of Assassin's Apprentice,, to decide which to keep in my collection, and found that one dustjacket has the price in the bottom right of the front interior of the DJ and the other does not.  The one missing it isn't clipped, as the DJ has all it's corners intact.  Both books have full number lines and are themselves identical.  Both DJs have the same ISDN printed on the inside back flap.  Searching around, I've found others with both and found both for sale.  No one seems to know why these variations exist or which is the true first DJ.  I feel like when I was first looking for Assassin's Apprentice I ran into an article mentioning the two and explaining them, but no amount of searching is finding it now.  Does anyone on here know why there are two versions?  Thanks!

Is this Newboy? anyway: that first book was delivered to libraries and to shops
i think the explanation lies in that direction: a version of DJ with a price sticker, if i remember well it was 9.99 pound, gold colored. the version without was intended for libraries as that was bought probably in a batch. 
I also have two versions with a slight difference in the color of the DJ.
The print run was relatively small and a lot went into public libraries meaning not a lot on the market.
i hope this helps.
regards
Willem

RE: 1st Print UK dustjacket variation for the original Assassin's Apprentice HC - janelancy - Apr-27-2024

If my memory serves me well, there was a gold-colored DJ version with a price label that cost 9.99 pounds. I believe that's where the explanation rests. Libraries were likely the intended recipients of the version without since it was likely purchased in bulk.
Additionally, I have two variants, each with a slightly different DJ color scheme.
io games