thePlenty.net Forums
RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) (/thread-244.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - 'thul - Jan-25-2011

fairly simple... find a quote that makes you chuckle/laugh/similar... have others guess who/what/where its from/to, then next person posts another such quote...

Please, no searching through electronic versions of the books for the quote... thats cowardly...

Here's the first one...

1 Wrote:Female. Nice. Vast approval.

If it proves too difficult, come up with another, but include the previous one(s) until someone figures it out...

RE: RotE quote game... - Farseer - Jan-25-2011

There are a few Hobb quizzes around and I had been thinking of making up some of my own to put here on thePlenty. What a terrific idea for a game, 'thul - love it! Clapping

(Jan-25-2011, 01:28 PM (UTC))thul Wrote:
Quote:Female. Nice. Vast approval.

Straight up I thought 'Nighteyes' but then wondered if it was Nosy instead? I'm leaning toward Nosy and this would mean it had to have happened in AA. He is speaking of Molly, I'd imagine, and I'm guessing it was the first time Fitz fully realised what he shared with an animal he had bonded with! Big Grin

Okay, now I'm second-guessing myself after a bit of thought and wondering if it wasn't actually Nighteyes after all!!! Hmm...trying to think of the timing of it all. Gee, this is so much harder than I thought it would be!! Okay, I'm going to do a backflip and say it was Nighteyes, simply because the relationship between Fitz and Molly stepped up a notch after Molly began working at Buckkeep, and Fitz was doing a lot of dreaming of Molly and her red skirts at the time. That would place it fairly early on in their relationship, while Nightyeyes and Fitz were still getting to know each other, in RA?

Not sure if this is correct or not and hence am unsure if I should now put a quote of my own to follow on? Here's one anyway, with a subtle hint included. An extra point if you can determine the hint!

Quote:You can be the dead fish. I'll be the old stick.

Hmm...should there be a spoiler tag in the thread title in case we reveal things during our explanations?

Am now off to flick through AA and RA for the 'thul beings' quote!! Nosy or Nighteyes? Undecided

RE: RotE quote game... - 'thul - Jan-26-2011

you're quite close... but not going to say the answer till you decide on one of them.

no idea on your quote.

1 Wrote:Female. Nice. Vast approval.

2 Wrote:You can be the dead fish. I'll be the old stick.

RE: RotE quote game... - Farseer - Jan-26-2011

(Jan-26-2011, 08:25 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: you're quite close... but not going to say the answer till you decide on one of them.

Darned laptop Rant ...just lost a HUGE post!

Doh! I was hoping you'd do the big reveal without my having to fully commit! P Okay, I think I'm ready...

Quote:Female. Nice. Vast approval.

I can't remember the exact context but I'll go with Nighteyes, talking to Fitz about Molly.

Molly would have been working for Patience at Buckkeep at the time, and it's around the time Fitz was going nuts due to not being allowed to have anything to do with her (lest he shame her or bring her to Regal's attention). Possibly he and Molly had already "been" together by then but I don't think so as he stayed away from her for quite some time? As I said previously, Fitz and Nighteyes would definitely still have been getting to know each other (working out boundaries with their relationship etc) after Fitz rescued him and took him to the old hut, and I'm not even sure if Nighteyes would have shared his name with Fitz by that stage. Their relationship would have been too new. I am only just up to the part where Fitz rescued him in my RA re-read but haven't got a clue as to what Fitz called him in the beginning, before he revealed his name. Will get to that in the next chapter or two, I expect (when I can find some time to get back to it).

Of course, all this would have to place the quote in RA somewhere.

RE: RotE quote game... - 'thul - Jan-26-2011

that would be correct...

3 Wrote:"Dinner!"Announced enthusiastically
who, about what, when, and where?

RE: RotE quote game... - Farseer - Jan-26-2011

Sorry, I keep forgetting to put my quote in italics...that's part of the hint! P

I don't have any real idea about this next one of yours though 'thul. The only scene that comes to mind is another that includes Nighteyes (I can't think of any other character who would become so enthused about dinner Smiling , and he seemed to offer the majority of the "comic relief moments" throughout).

Having nothing else that comes to mind, I'll guess that it was when Nighteyes eyed off the chooks at the beginning of FE and was teasing Tom/Fitz about eating them. It wasn't too long before Fitz went back to Buckkeep but I'm not sure if Fool was still there or not...

Oh, I guess I should clearly state that it was at the hut where Fitz/Tom, Nighteyes and Hap had made their home?
Quote:"Dinner!"Announced enthusiastically

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - 'thul - Jan-26-2011

that would be quite incorrect.

3 Wrote:"Dinner!"Announced enthusiastically

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Farseer - Jan-27-2011

(Jan-26-2011, 11:30 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: that would be quite incorrect.

Oh, more thought is required then! Undecided

Ah Lightbulb, I've just realised I'm not thinking of all of the characters in ALL of the books!!

Now I'm wondering if it may have been one of the dragons eg Sintara while making their way to Kelsingra and coming across the boar pigs? Tintaglia and Reyn have just popped into my mind but I will dismiss them and their seals, I think...and now here comes a thought that it may even have been one of the serpents eg Carrion when someone's been thrown overboard...or Slink, or Small Ferret or Fennel!! *groan*

Surrender I'll leave it for someone else unless I find I have a flash of brilliance...it's going to make me nuts in the meantime though!!

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Farseer - Jan-27-2011

Ignore me as I'm just thinking aloud, and hopefully may jog someone else's memory!!

Possibly it was Nighteyes talking about the horses belonging to the coterie members etc, when he and Fitz were on the Skill Road heading toward the quarry in AQ? The coterie members had apparently gone down to Kelsingra via the same Skill-pillar that Fitz had (and Verity before him), and had left the animals, a few other men (which Fitz and Kettle killed) and most of their supplies behind. Undecided I do remember him saying something about eating them...?

What are you doing to me, 'thul beings?! Radar

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Nuytsia - Jan-27-2011

Oh I think know!
At least I KNOW I've read it recently (so it must be in the Farseer trilogy)
The "Dinner!" one is where Lacey brings the dead chicken to Burrich to 'dispose of' and she dumps it on the table and the Fool says it.?