thePlenty.net Forums
RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) (/thread-244.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Farseer - Mar-13-2011

6 Wrote:You drowned in memories

Has this one been solved? I've been thinking on it (A LOT, as I think it's the oldest?!!!) and wonder if it's Malta talking to Reyn. I'm not sure which book but they're both in the Rain Wilds and it's before Malta heads to the Crowned Rooster Chamber. Ah, maybe The Mad Ship? Something about Reyn going crazy from drowning in the memories, much like his father was reputed to have done?

13 Wrote:“Do you know the way back to the dragon chamber?”

This one's been making me crazy as I'm fairly certain that it's not even from the LST?? Blink I actually think it's from Homecoming where Carillion is trying to make the party's way back to the chamber with the dragon statue that has the lady in the basket hanging from it? They're trapped underground at that stage? Ah, I'm not sure who she asks. I don't think it's anyone specific?? It's definitely talking about that dragon chamber in Homecoming, with a green (??) dragon and not making reference to the Rooster Crown Chamber that houses Tintaglia.

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - 'thul - Mar-14-2011

Nightchade:
#13 guess is wrong. and #14 is not Chade.

Paragon-Athena:
That is possible, but these beings do not say whether it is.

Farseer:
your guess on #14 is incorrect.
Your theory of nettle-training in #16 is incorrect. Fitz did not want her trained at all.
#6 is not yet solved, but you are getting at least in the right direction now.
your guess on #13 would be correct.

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Paragon-Athena - Mar-14-2011

Farseer, your guess on #19 is correct! well done Big Grin I'm guessing you read the LT recently then? Because that waas a pretty obscure quote. Good on yu for getting it!

I'll throw out a few more quotes then since all of mine have been guessed correctly.

Quote:I do not play with dolls.

Quote:Please, may we begin again?

(hint: this one is less obvious than it sounds)

Quote:It is now my earliest convenience.

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Farseer - Mar-14-2011

(Mar-14-2011, 07:46 AM (UTC))Paragon-Athena Wrote: Farseer, your guess on #19 is correct! well done Big Grin I'm guessing you read the LT recently then? Because that waas a pretty obscure quote. Good on yu for getting it!

No, I haven't read it recently and neither did I have the books to double-check (my son has the LSt books down south with him! Rant ). It was actually one of the few quotes I knew immediately...I loved that scene as it was, I think, the first one that confirmed for me during my first reading that, yes, Amber is, without a doubt, the Fool! I also enjoyed trying to nut out what/who the dragons were that fought over Malta (which I discussed in my 'Malta' thread!). Big Grin

I'll throw out a few more quotes then since all of mine have been guessed correctly.

Quote:I do not play with dolls.

This one is torturing me as I know I know it!

Quote:Please, may we begin again?

I originally thought this may have been Fool when he first met Nighteyes via the Wit and Skill when they joined with Fitz to help Kestral/Kettle in AQ but I have a feeling that it's actually Sedric talking with someone...I'm thinking, Thymara? I know they really disliked each other in the beginning and I'm sure this was Sedric's peace offering. I can't say where (is on the way to Kelsingra enough? P). Not sure which RWC book it could've been in though either. Undecided Ah, well, I have a fifty-fifty chance of getting it right Big Grin so I'll go with Dragon Keeper??

(hint: this one is less obvious than it sounds)

[/quote]

I'm certain this is Fitz talking to Dutiful but I can't think why or when or where!!! Will think on it some more...

(Mar-13-2011, 09:58 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote:
6 Wrote:You drowned in memories

Has this one been solved? I've been thinking on it (A LOT, as I think it's the oldest?!!!) and wonder if it's Malta talking to Reyn. I'm not sure which book but they're both in the Rain Wilds and it's before Malta heads to the Crowned Rooster Chamber. Ah, maybe The Mad Ship? Something about Reyn going crazy from drowning in the memories, much like his father was reputed to have done?

Ah, ok, 'thul beings, does right direction mean right direction, close or spot on but I haven't been certain enough? Big Grin

Right...I'm going to stick with this one then, and lock it in! It's Malta talking to Reyn in Trehaug. She is talking about what everyone is saying about him (ah, such as rumours)...that, like his father, he drowned in the memories of the city. What else do you need? Ah, it happened in The Mad Ship. I don't know this for sure and have no way of checking but I'll say it was there! How's that?

(Mar-14-2011, 09:12 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: [

I'm certain this is Fitz talking to Dutiful but I can't think why or when or where!!! Will think on it some more...

Arrgh! Now I'm wondering if it wasn't Verity talking to Fitz...so much for 'certain'! Blushing Fitz is there somewhere?! Darn you for this game, 'thul beings!! P

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - 'thul - Mar-14-2011

Now it would be correct... you have, at last, solved quote #6.

12 Wrote:"Your face is bruised. And scratched.

14 Wrote:"For you have handed me the final piece of a puzzle."

16 Wrote:I doubt she will be a willing student."

22 Wrote:"I do not play with dolls."

23 Wrote:"Please, may we begin again?"

24 Wrote:"It is now my earliest convenience."

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - joost - Mar-14-2011

Quote:"I do not play with dolls"
Fool to Fitz after he accidentally visits the fool's chamber and discovers the dolls?

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Farseer - Mar-14-2011

(Mar-14-2011, 10:19 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: Now it would be correct... you have, at last, solved quote #6.
Clapping

I solved this one, I think...maybe? Just needs checking by Paragon-Athena.

Okay, now I'm certain I have this one. It's Fitz talking to Rosemary when he goes to visit Kettricken, in her Buckkeep chamber (there'd be nowhere else he'd really be talking to R than in Buckkeep?! P ). Fitz had been having a bit of fun with Rosemary with the whole 'earliest convenience' word-play...I can't remember exactly what but she'd asked him at some stage to visit with Kettricken at his earliest convenience...and this ended with the above quote? It has to be Fitz!

Which book? This is always SO HARD! I'll say...RA...simply because most of this kind of early Buckkeep 'stuff' happened in it, I think?!

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Farseer - Mar-15-2011

12 Wrote:"Your face is bruised. And scratched.

Still thinking

14 Wrote:"For you have handed me the final piece of a puzzle."

Still thinking as my last guess was incorrect!

16 Wrote:I doubt she will be a willing student."

Okay, seems I was wrong re that this is refers to Nettle so I wonder if this is Fitz actually talking to Nettle about Tintaglia...something about Nettle teaching her to not be so high and mighty?

Still thinking

Maybe I solved?

[/quote]

Maybe I solved?

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Farseer - Mar-15-2011

[

I don't really think it is (!) but I wonder a little if this could possibly be Elliania talking to Peottre regarding the puppets Dutiful gave her (and Fitz is in the wall of Buckkeep listening/spying). I can't recall even a hint of such a conversation P but I know Dutiful gave her the puppets and later worried about her reaction to them and the story it told. Puppets are also doll-like, and I can't think of any other 'doll' thing outside of the Fool's doll, as joost posted about earlier? I don't think it refers to Fool's doll though.

I did think it could have been Starling or someone talking about Fool's puppets in the Mountain Kingdom but I couldn't come up with a theory as to why she'd need to say such a thing...so...

I'll say, Elliania to Peottre it is, and this would be found in, oh, The Golden Fool, as I think that's about right with timing for the Outislander delegation to be in Buckkeep?

I have no idea, do I? Big Grin

EDIT: I'll stick with Elliania, but suddenly Malta is jumping into my mind! I don't know...the quote just seems to be someone's reaction to the suggestion that they are being childish...both Elliania and Malta were viewed by others as such?

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Paragon-Athena - Mar-15-2011

Farseer, you were correct for "it is now my earliest convenience", well done Big Grin

However...

You were not even close for "Please, may we begin again", sorry Wink

And no-one is correct for the doll quote. Stop thinking about the Fool for this one- it has nothing to do with him, although it does sound like it... Nice guesses though.