thePlenty.net Forums
RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) (/thread-244.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - 'thul - Mar-15-2011

Your guess on #16 was once again wrong.

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Farseer - Mar-15-2011

(Mar-15-2011, 05:42 AM (UTC))Paragon-Athena Wrote: You were not even close for "Please, may we begin again", sorry Wink

Down Oh, no! I thought I was really on to something with the Sedric and Thymara idea. I'm staying away from this thread for a couple of days, I think, while I work through my thoughts (rather than post back-to-back, confusing guesses! Big Grin )

Quote:Please, may we begin again

Sorry, I can't help it! Blushing These quotes just get stuck in my head and I HAVE to try and figure them out...they are far too big a distraction!

Right, forget Sedric and Thymara. I've no idea why they came to mind (?). I'm going to say instead that it's Amber when she first meets Paragon on the beach. Paragon and Amber offend each other early on somehow (?), and so Amber asks Paragon if they can start again. They meet somewhere in Ship of Magic? Amber goes there with the New Trader (the man whose name escapes me though I know it’s not Davad Restart at that stage…Davad seals the deal with Amber, Althea and Brashen but that’s much later than the time when this quote is given) when she first considers purchasing Paragon.

12 Wrote:"Your face is bruised. And scratched.

Sedric was bruised during DH so this could be Carson speaking to him, after Relpda and he killed the man wanting to deal in dragon parts (whose name also escapes me!)? I think it’s more likely Fitz though as he’s always battered and bruised! Not sure when, where or who…Fool or Burrich? Sorry, still thinking aloud! Innocent

14 Wrote:"For you have handed me the final piece of a puzzle."

16 Wrote:I doubt she will be a willing student."

22 Wrote:"I do not play with dolls."

incorrect.

Wintrow talking to Kennit of Etta, regarding his teaching her to read? Undecided

nice guess, but still wrong persons...

12 Wrote:"Your face is bruised. And scratched.

14 Wrote:"For you have handed me the final piece of a puzzle."

22 Wrote:"I do not play with dolls."

23 Wrote:"Please, may we begin again?"

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Paragon-Athena - Mar-15-2011

Aha Farseer! Now you're talking! It is indeed Paragon and Amber, but they don't really offend each other - it's just that Amber touches Paragon with skill impregnated fingertips and hence becomes far too intimate with him for such a short aquaintance so they both get rather rattled and Amber asks if they could "begin again". I love that scene...

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Farseer - Mar-16-2011

Oh, yes, I remember that Skill touch now, Paragon-Athena. It's where Amber realises that wizardwood/Paragon is so much "more than wood".

Among other things, one thing I found interesting about that passage is that for all of Fool's talk of not being as human as Fitz, Paragon here feels Amber's "humanness" being all around him (or something along those lines). Of course, there are times when Fool still feels all too human eg Tom's necklace etc but this interchange between Paragon and Amber made me think of the relative degrees of humanness within the realm, at least when seen from others' points of view eg in a similar situation, a dragon could possibly feel Paragon's humanness, which is less than that of a human, Elderling or White Prophet but more than that of a dragon and most likely a Pecksie or Other...Blink

...hopefully you're not all thinking, "That doesn't make a lick of sense!"

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Paragon-Athena - Mar-16-2011

I think it makes sense, and it also makes me think that Amber might actually be female, or at least hermaphoditic because Ophelia could immediately tell Althea's sex and Amber was far more intimate with Paragon that Althea ever was with Ophelia... He always refers to Amber as she, even when "she hid from him no longer"... Interesting...

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Farseer - Mar-16-2011

I wasn't going to begin that debate here in this thread but, now that you've raised it (and I can blame you P ), I totally agree with what you're saying. I posted as much in the Fool thread somewhere, I think, in response to a Rooster Crown point suggesting that the minstrels in the crown acknowledged Fool as a male after his blood was used to piece the crown together...and for many readers, this was solid proof that he was male.

One of my counterpoints to that was that, while it was true that the minstrels had spoken of Fool as male, Paragon and both his Greater and Lesser dragons still had acknowledged Amber as female even when they were below-deck during the fire...all very thought-provoking if you'd like to go and take a look!

This Skill exchange you've quoted between Amber and Paragon during their introductions is just yet another great passage in that it backs up my counterpoint...!Yay

Sorry if we're wandering 'thul beings! Big Grin