thePlenty.net Forums
RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) (/thread-244.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Farseer - Apr-05-2011

It might be... Big Grin ...

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - 'thul - Apr-05-2011

The "he" wouldn't happen to be Regal, making a bit of a mockery of the Fool, would it?

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Jizdin - Apr-05-2011

I think #16 might be Ronica & Keffria talking about teaching Malta how to do the accounts...to teach her how to be responsible after her behaviour at the ball? maybe....

That would be quite correct, Jizdin...

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Farseer - Apr-05-2011

(Apr-05-2011, 05:22 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: The "he" wouldn't happen to be Regal, making a bit of a mockery of the Fool, would it?

Ah, "he" would be Regal but nothing of mockery here...quite the opposite, in fact...you're almost there!

THANK YOU JIZDIN Slurp - that quote has finally been solved and I can delete it from my mind....! Good on you!!

mockery depends on the viewpoint. Whereas Regal might not have intended it (or might have) the reader will get a different view.

The fool was given new clothes chosen by regal, but the fool put them on himself. He did not particularly like the clothes, let alone the role intended for him by the pretender...

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - danieladamsmith - Apr-08-2011

Don't do what you can't undo, until you've considered what you can't do once you've done it..

I am sure someone has quoted this in these 17 pages but it's the perfect quote for life....

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Farseer - Apr-08-2011

That quote was given to Fitz from Shrewd, I think in regard to Fitz considering killing Regal? Either way, it was definitely Shrewd to Fitz.

I agree, it's a fantastic motto for life!!

EDIT: I'm a twit, don't mind me! It was actually Shrewd saying it to Regal about Fitz. P Ah, can't quite remember the circumstance but it was early on, and maybe Regal thought Fitz shouldn't be allowed to live, let alone go to Buckkeep from Moonseye?

Fitz himself said this quote somewhere, sometime later...I think?!

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - 'thul - Apr-08-2011

danieladamsmith, you can find all the provided quotes in the first post...

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Farseer - Apr-08-2011

(Apr-05-2011, 11:10 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: mockery depends on the viewpoint. Whereas Regal might not have intended it (or might have) the reader will get a different view.

The fool was given new clothes chosen by regal, but the fool put them on himself. He did not particularly like the clothes, let alone the role intended for him by the pretender...

Sorry 'thul beings...my computer seizes up every time I come to this thread and I was sure I replied to this and added another quote (twice!).

Yes, you're right. Regal gave Fool new clothes to wear but, rather than mockery, I got the idea that Regal just wanted Fool to be seen as 'normal' rather than as his usual 'freakish' self? He wanted a witty and well-dressed jester to complement his quest for kingship, not a 'fool'? I guess this, in itself, does make a mockery of the Fool as he normally is.

I like this entire passage as it's the first place where we get a true glimpse of Fool's ability to change his identity...he did such a good job at becoming what/who Regal wanted him to be that it even frightened Fitz:

Quote:...He turned in a slow circle for me to admire him. 'Well?'

'You don't look like you,' I said bluntly.

'I am not intended to...'

Fitz a little later goes on to think:

Quote:With his elegant clothes and unaccustomed postures, he frightened me. It was as if another being inhabited his body, one I knew not at all.