thePlenty.net Forums
RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) (/thread-244.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Farseer - Feb-08-2012

^ I can't believe you're letting Selene get away with that one word answer (though I'm impressed too Selene! Smiling ). No wheres or whys??!! You beings are slipping! P

(Feb-07-2012, 12:23 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: The answer to R2Q1 is somewhere in your posts, possibly in a few pieces, but it is there, farseer.

Right. I expect I'll have to guess now because I'm starting the second chapter and likely to stumble on the answer soon (if I don't decide to stay put on Others' Island for a little while longer...so many things to still uncover/discover about that place and all that happens there!! Yay ).

While Althea has hooks in me, I think I'm going to have to go with Ronica grieving for Ephron. That would place it fairly early on in SoM, while her grief is still fresh. It has to be her as I just can't think of where Althea had nothing else but grief...she always had some other emotion to anchor herself with. Ronica, on the other hand, was cast adrift and though she felt other emotions, they were the kinds of things that she had to work through within her grief and weren't 'true' eg Her anger. While she was angry with Ephron, it was not 'true' anger...rather it was an anger drawn from the frustration and grief that they would never spend those years and times together. My husband and I have planned similar things, made similar promises to each other etc and I know that I too would be angry at him, even if only briefly, for letting death get in the way of those things. Smiling Of course, then I'd be all awash once the tears fell...

Ronica didn't have time for such grief though.

Argh! Now that I think it's Ronica, I'm not even sure if Ephron had actually died at the time I'm guesing the quote happened. I have a feeling that it was during her bedside vigil with him prior to his death because I think I recall her being rather introspective at that point, and that's likely the time she shared that moment of grief with us.

David was hanging around there somewhere too...??

Since I'm feeling that Ephron was in bed at the time, it actually HAD to be prior to his death because he died ("drowning on a dry deck" from memory) on Vivacia's deck and later thrown into the sea.

So, I'll say it was Ronica speaking of Ephron, in expectation of his death, during the very early stages of SoM? Undecided

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - 'thul - Feb-08-2012

To be honest, 'thul cannot recall right now if ephron had died yet, but they do believe he had. You have indeed got the case right. It was Ronica speaking of Ephron, and it was the situation you mentioned.

oh, and the reason Selene got away with the short answer is that it wasn't an exact quote. It was paraphrased.

(Feb-08-2012, 12:12 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: To be honest, 'thul cannot recall right now if ephron had died yet, but they do believe he had. You have indeed got the case right. It was Ronica speaking of Ephron, and it was the situation you mentioned.

I just went and checked...so many other things to do (!!!) but I just had to...it was driving me nuts not knowing if he'd been alive still, or had already died! Found it at the very beginning of Chapter Three 'Ephron Vestrit' and, no, he hadn't yet died. Glad to be able to strike that from my mind now...!

Ouch My poor copy of SoM is in pieces. Down Oh well, as good an excuse as any to save up and buy all new copies of the entire RotE series...the old ones can be my 'research' copies. Smiling

(Feb-08-2012, 12:12 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: oh, and the reason Selene got away with the short answer is that it wasn't an exact quote. It was paraphrased.

Excuses, excuses... Big Grin

How about this quote:

Quote:What have I become here?

Who was it, what was it in regard to, when did it take place, where did it take place and which RotE novel (not just the series) or short story was it taken from? P

Your time starts...now!

These beings are still somewhat clueless on this one.
These beings have yet another quotely question...

At what point in time in the story was it clearly revealed which family Kennit was of? Revealed with more than vague indications and hints that he was more than a random pirate?
When was his last name revealed?

secondary question... how was it revealed? was it through guesswork? betrayal? inside knowledge?

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Selene - Feb-08-2012

(Feb-08-2012, 02:14 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: How about this quote:

Who was it, what was it in regard to, when did it take place, where did it take place and which RotE novel (not just the series) or short story was it taken from? P

Your time starts...now!

Hmmm, I'm not sure, but I think it's Lady Carrock in homecoming. Isn't this one of the moments she thinks of ... Retyo (was that is name?)? Hmmm, I guess it is while she is sleeping with her husband (can't remember his name), but that could be a big mistake. Am I completely wrong or just a bit??

These beings re-read homecoming a short while ago... The quote was familiar in content, yet hard to place.

Lady Carrock rings a bell. It could quite possibly be her it is from. It does not fit quite right with any main character from the other books involving the rain wilds, nor does such phrase fit for the farseer/tawny man books, as they do not dwell on change the same way.

(Feb-08-2012, 04:54 PM (UTC))Selene Wrote: Hmmm, I'm not sure, but I think it's Lady Carrock

Yes. Smiling

(Feb-08-2012, 04:54 PM (UTC))Selene Wrote: in homecoming.

Indeedy it is. P

(Feb-08-2012, 04:54 PM (UTC))Selene Wrote: Isn't this one of the moments she thinks of ... Retyo (was that is name?)? Hmmm, I guess it is while she is sleeping with her husband (can't remember his name),

Correct. Clapping She was with Jathan (Carillion's husband) but thinking of Retyo in that moment.

It was written in the entry for Day the 7th or 8th of the Gold Moon, Year the 14th etc and I like this quote because I think it nicely sums up so many of the changes that many of the characters go through in all of the RotE instalments. Carillion also said a similar thing of herself after she'd eaten the lizard..."Sa, sweet Lord of all, what am I becoming?"

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Selene - Feb-08-2012

Yay

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - fool-ish - Feb-08-2012

I'm rubbish at this! *sulks*

LST is to be my next re-read, oh yes it is!

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - 'thul - Feb-09-2012

It being but a few days since last re-read of just that story, it should have been something 'thul could've guessed. But it was not, so such happens.

Rain wild books next for 'thul, and then CoD when that arrives. It could arrive later today, but more likely friday.