thePlenty.net Forums
RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) (/thread-244.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Farseer - Feb-06-2011

Here's another attachment that shows instructions and screenshots for inserting a simple quote, if you are not wanting to reference another person's previous post, Nightchade:

.doc   How to insert a new boxed quote into your post.doc (Size: 251 KB / Downloads: 0)

Someone feel free to step in if you have a better way! Smiling

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - 'thul - Feb-06-2011

then it was nighteyes talking to fitz?

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Farseer - Feb-06-2011

Yes, 'thul, it was Nighteyes talking to Fitz but it wasn't because they were both feeling a bit past it and/or had decided to hunt...it was a response to a third party's observations and the main reason why I think it's comical. Smiling Hopefully I'm not being too picky, asking for such specifics!

EDIT: 'thul are we including the ROTE-related short stroies as well?

Quote:You can be the dead fish. I'll be the old stick.

Quote:You drowned in memories

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - 'thul - Feb-06-2011

As long as they are canon and RotE, they are fair game, or so these beings think... However, if a quote from one of them proves too hard to locate (for several people), then it might not hurt to inform if it is from such and potentially which one it is from...

'thul do think that there's more than enough quotes to pick from in the 8 main books... (stories like "inheritance" and "words like coins" are fairly hard to find...)

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - joost - Feb-06-2011

Quote:You drowned in memories.
Sounds like the presence (Eda or El?) talking to Fitz while he was drowning in the skill in the golden fool books. Can't remember anymore where in the books it was.

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Nightchade - Feb-07-2011

Fitz is forever cautioning Nighteyes to take things easy. Nighteyes was grumbling about Fitz constantly thinking he was about to drop dead from old age and how this meant that he couldn't enjoy the present. Hapless the Tactless is yearning for the bright lights and says something along the lines of having to get away from the backwater, full of nothing but dead fish and old sticks. Charmed, Nighteyes says dryly to Fitz ..'you'll be the dead fish and I'll be the old stick'

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Farseer - Feb-07-2011

You've got it, Nightchade! Clapping

It's all very much how my husband and I react to the things our kids say to us! Wink

Hmm, I'm still thinking on this next one but wonder if it may not involve Malta or possibly even Reyn/Tintaglia, as Malta certainly drowned in the memories? There is someone else, as well as Fitz, who does this but she is in 'Homecoming' (I won't add anything else for those of you who haven't yet read it!) so that's why I asked 'thul for the parameters of the game.

Still thinking re even the RWC but leaning toward the Malta/Reyn/Tintaglia idea, though I can't think of what context it may have been humorous, though it could possibly have brought Tintaglia a touch of humour... Smiling

Quote:You drowned in memories.

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - 'thul - Feb-07-2011

Well, then you need to refresh your memories... for that is not the situation... besides, that presence is Tintaglia, not el/eda...

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - joost - Feb-07-2011

(Feb-07-2011, 06:52 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: besides, that presence is Tintaglia, not el/eda...
Really? IIRC, it was a friendly, benign presence. You can say a lot about Tintaglia, but 'benign' and 'friendly' aren't words I'd use to describe her...

I think I remember again where it appeared: After Fitz 'kidnaps' Dutiful to the other island beach. I'm pretty sure that it appears again later in the books too.

Damn my bad memory P

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - 'thul - Feb-07-2011

benign and friendly? not too much of that. More like Condescending as if towards a child... Very much superior.

There was no mention of that presence in the farseer books, nor any in the scrolls mentioned in tawny man. Only logical explaination would then be that the presence is "new" yet still very powerful. Tintaglia fitst both those categories. The fact that the skill stems from elderling blood enhances that theory.

6 Wrote:You drowned in memories.

'thul added the scores for out-figured quotes so far (to first post), and it is even right now...