thePlenty.net Forums
RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) (/thread-244.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - 'thul - Feb-23-2011

These beings suspect that quote could also come from someone like the witmaster. It seems wrong for it to be from Nighteyes, and Burrich never bonded with a wolf, so it is unlikely for him to be wolfish. It is quite probably speaking of Fitz.
As for the where, it would be somewhere in the six duchies or in the out islands, most likely the former.

6 Wrote:You drowned in memories
10 Wrote:'That one is more wolf than he cares to admit

Bah, 'thul are bored. They give you a few more quotes to fight over.
They ask what said those words, where they were said, when they were said and why they were said. They also ask whom it was said to. They do not ask for page & line number.

Quote:I'm hoping Nuytsia comes across the 'thul beings' quote during her LST re-read!!!
Be you sure it is from one of those books?

These beings hope these following quotes are sufficiently difficult...

10 Wrote:That one is more wolf than he cares to admit

11 Wrote:"You see, you anger the gods with your demands on me! Do as I tell you, or they will make the whole hill fall on you."

12 Wrote:"Your face is bruised. And scratched.

13 Wrote:“Do you know the way back to the dragon chamber?”

14 Wrote:"For you have handed me the final piece of a puzzle."

15 Wrote:Don't think of them as especially noble

16 Wrote:I doubt she will be a willing student."

17 Wrote:"Not meat!"

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Farseer - Feb-23-2011

Quote:'That one is more wolf than he cares to admit

(Feb-23-2011, 09:13 AM (UTC))thul Wrote: It seems wrong for it to be from Nighteyes, and Burrich never bonded with a wolf, so it is unlikely for him to be wolfish.

Hmm...I'm still positive it's Nighteyes talking to Fitz about Burrich and though Burrich never bonded to a wolf, he is Heart of the Pack (a title which even N'eyes gives him, along with all other hounds). Not only that, but Burrich does not openly use or admit his Wit ability to Fitz or to N'eyes, nor does he fully acknowledge the title of Heart of the Pack. He even later in TM (FF, I think!) admitted to Fitz that he'd known that the dogs spoke to him and gave him that title but he'd ignored them, never fully admitting his Wit even to them.

I just can't quite remember where in the Six Duchies they were, or what the situation was... Undecided Still thinking though, and I may well be WAY off the mark!

Oh...my...gosh...! I won't be able to concentrate for the rest of the week, thinking on the others you've posted!!! P

These beings are laughing like only evil overlords can do. Is that not nice?

10 Wrote:That one is more wolf than he cares to admit

11 Wrote:"You see, you anger the gods with your demands on me! Do as I tell you, or they will make the whole hill fall on you."

EDIT: These beings added in numbers to the quotes, to make it easier to keep track of them... The number of quotes submitted for guessing has been added to first post... The various quotes, and who solved them (if solved), has also been added...

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Nightchade - Feb-23-2011

Farseer you were right it was Nighteyes talking about Burrich. Well done..and from memory,Clapping (I'm raking through the pages for 'drowned in memories' !) By 'where' I really just meant what book but now I've got you thinking........

Thul beings. Now you've done it...I'll never get Dragon Keeper finished and I have a library copy of Dragon Haven waiting next .....I'm thinking quote '15' 'dont think of them as especially noble' sounds like something I've just read in Dragon keeper, spoken by either Malta or Althea. Are the quotes taken from those later books also?

Quotes can come from any book and short story, so long as it is in the Realm of the Elderlings... Not just the older ones...

These beings were unable to guess further on quote #10, having found it while browsing for various other quotes to use (not all found were used)... But Farseer got the location wrong... It was not in Tawny man, let alone in Fools Fate... (it was in Royal Assassin)
'thul are too honest to claim credit for such... point accorded to Farseer...

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Farseer - Feb-23-2011

(Feb-23-2011, 07:02 PM (UTC))thul Wrote: But Farseer got the location wrong... It was not in Tawny man, let alone in Fools Fate... (it was in Royal Assassin)

Sorry 'thul, I think I confused you. Smiling I didn't know exactly where the original quote was from (was still thinking), but I had assumed that it must have come from the Farseer trilogy somewhere as that would have been the last time Burrich, Nighteyes and Fitz were all together (not to mention that N'eyes was dead way before FF so couldn't have said anything to Fitz). P

The bit about Burrich telling Fitz how he had ignored the hounds calling him Heart of the Pack (which I was just using to back up my reasons for N'eyes to consider Burrich wolf-like) was the part that would have come from TM/FF, when Burrich and Fitz were speaking together while on Aslevjal. Big Grin

No time for thinking today but I will be back to this thread FIRST, as soon as I can this evening!! Love it ! Yay

EDIT: ps Thanks for the point! Wink

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Nightchade - Feb-23-2011

Yes, Nighteyes talks to Fitz about wolfie Burrich in 'Royal Assassin.'

Hmmm..sneaky Thul beings.I might not have read the book with 'drowned in memories' in yet ..but ... I was right ! of course I had to check but I did guess it first. (perhaps cheating as I'm reading the book now) 22 this is Malta to Alise in Dragon Keeper , where she's having the meeting with the Rain Wilders and offers to be the resident expert methinks. Malta is warning her not to think of the dragons as especially noble (they had recently eaten a laid to rest corpse after all!) Whistling

I'm enjoying DK but cant see me revisiting it like I have been doing with the other series. I haven't yet found a passage where the rhythm is as beautiful as the one in which this extract is taken from.....
Quote: ....spreading like a bloodstain down the worlds best shirt...

The whole passage and its context makes me shiver! Sorry I just couldn't resist putting it in as a new challenge. So, who, or what was spreading? who said it to whom? and in what book?

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - 'thul - Feb-24-2011

hmm... perhaps somewhere in the liveship books? or in the rain wilds books? 'thul suspects the former... and therefore that Amber was involved. Speaking of something related to the future of the world, possibly related to dragonkind...

(these beings recently re-read the farseer and tawny man books, and it does not ring a bell...)

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Farseer - Feb-24-2011

(Feb-23-2011, 11:29 PM (UTC))Nightchade Wrote:
Quote: ....spreading like a bloodstain down the worlds best shirt...

The whole passage and its context makes me shiver! Sorry I just couldn't resist putting it in as a new challenge. So, who, or what was spreading? who said it to whom? and in what book?

I love this too...just wonderful imagery!! I have to go back and read all of the other new challenges yet Smiling but this one I am fairly sure of. I'm thinking it is Fool speaking to Fitz of the Forged ones who are the beginning of the fall of the Farseers and part of the Pale Woman's plans (though we didn't know the Pale Woman was the one behind it all at that stage)?

I can't think if this exact quote would come from the Farseer books or the TM ones but I think I can recall that Fool speaks of Forging as a stain spreading down a shirt at least twice (??), at least once each in Farseer and once in TM. Hmm...I'm confident that it was connected to why the House of Farseer was called 'Farseer' (and this passage is why I called myself Farseer for this forum in the first place! Big Grin) and so I am going to go with either RA or AQ. It's too directly White Prophet/Catalyst stuff to have come up in AA.

Forging was also said to be the sliding rock or pebble or landslide (something like that?!) as well as the blood stain? I always thought this was an interesting connection to the landslide that Fool and Fitz both faced whilst on the way to the MK! Clapping

Off to have a look at the others...what glee!