thePlenty.net Forums
RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Printable Version

+- thePlenty.net Forums (https://theplenty.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Robin Hobb and Megan Lindholm (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Realm of the Elderlings (https://theplenty.net/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) (/thread-244.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - 'thul - Feb-24-2011

You're thinking of the same thing as 'thul are on the context for that bloodstain quote...

6 Wrote:You drowned in memories

11 Wrote:"You see, you anger the gods with your demands on me! Do as I tell you, or they will make the whole hill fall on you."

12 Wrote:"Your face is bruised. And scratched.

13 Wrote:“Do you know the way back to the dragon chamber?”

14 Wrote:"For you have handed me the final piece of a puzzle."

15 Wrote:Don't think of them as especially noble

16 Wrote:I doubt she will be a willing student."

17 Wrote:"Not meat!"

18 Wrote:"....spreading like a bloodstain down the worlds best shirt..."

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Farseer - Feb-24-2011

(Feb-24-2011, 06:49 AM (UTC))Farseer Wrote: Off to have a look at the others...what glee!

Another long drive in the car today/tomorrow but will keep myself busy thinking on these, and will hopefully have something to contribute...my head is a tangle of words!

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - 'thul - Feb-26-2011

Not figured out any of them? They should not be that hard...

anyways... these beings figured out the solution to the quote number 18...

The who/what was the soulless ones, the forged, and the darkness... The why is because the house of Farseer died out and the kingdom of the Six Duchies fell into ruin. The location was almost halfway through Royal Assassin.
The speaking were the white prophet and its catalyst, FitzChivalry Farseer.

While representative of that goal, the pale woman is not directly involved here, seeing that she is either too unknown, or not quite created yet...

The end result would be the stagnation and end of the world... (a rather bright, concept isnt it?)

6 Wrote:You drowned in memories

11 Wrote:"You see, you anger the gods with your demands on me! Do as I tell you, or they will make the whole hill fall on you."

12 Wrote:"Your face is bruised. And scratched.

13 Wrote:“Do you know the way back to the dragon chamber?”

14 Wrote:"For you have handed me the final piece of a puzzle."

15 Wrote:Don't think of them as especially noble

16 Wrote:I doubt she will be a willing student."

17 Wrote:"Not meat!"

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Nightchade - Feb-26-2011

Bloodstain quote: Yes Thul and Farseer, well doneClapping (I must think of harder quotes although I used this one as the whole thing is so beautiful-like a poem) This was in RA and its during the exchange between the Fool and Fitz. The Fool is keeping his end of a bargain to answer the question 'whence comes the Fool and Why?' and after telling Fitz a little of his history insists he hears the rest and comes over all prophetic(although I don't think he reveals himself as the White Prophet until AQ). Its the first time the Fool talks of his quest to change the future 'that is woven' where the fall of the house of Farseer starts it all off. The souless ones 'spread like a stain' (I'm not sure if he means the forged ones or just a spreading evil here) He tells Fitz that the name 'Farseer' is stretching back from the future to Fitz and that he ,the Fool, is here because of him,Fitz, in order that together they will change the future. Fitz comes over all oooer-wobbly and has to flee!

Well in reading this passage again,just to savour it, and all around and before, I spied another of the quotes above. Would this be cheating or can I collect another point Thul beings?Innocent

hmm... not 100% sure there... it is a bit tricksy...

btw, who got the point for quote 18?

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Nightchade - Feb-26-2011

btw, who got the point for quote 18?
[/quote]

I think Thul (hang on... tricksy? there seems to be more than one of you beings applying minds to this.. Grouphug) and Farseer both have to get a point. Farseer remembered it well and posted first but Thul correctly named the 'souless' ones.

that seems fair... both thought of the right situation to begin with...

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Farseer - Feb-26-2011

(Feb-26-2011, 07:26 PM (UTC))Nightchade Wrote: The souless ones 'spread like a stain' (I'm not sure if he means the forged ones or just a spreading evil here)

Yes, the soulless ones are definitely the Forged ones. It is directly confirmed at some stage, if not a couple of times, but I'd just have to find the passage/s.

I am certain, as I said in my first post, that it is backed up and confirmed at least in TM, along with the PW's role in it all, even back then eg why the Forged ones were constantly drawn to Verity and Fitz' Skill and ever made their way closer to Buckkeep, how she had purchased Skill scrolls from Regal etc all even back in the Farseer books. Robin even told us the PW was out there from a few subtle hints and tips such as Verity speaking of someone unknown working against he and Fitz. Though we, the reader, didn't know it was the PW at the time Fool said this to Fitz in RA, Fool did (though he chose not to reveal it to Fitz, or us, at the time). We can see she was if we go back and look closely enough, even without Fool's big reveal.

Again, it was spelled out to us all later though, by Fool, that it had all been the Pale Woman's doing (seeing as it was she who had quarried the memory stone/was doing the Forging or making the people into 'soulless' ones) and the 'stain down the shirt' was her future for the world. It was this Forged world that Fool was trying to prevent and which FitzChivalry helped him to succeed in undoing by defeating the PW and releasing Icefyre. He not only stopped the stain from spreading but he also ensured the future relationship between Dutiful and Elliania which would produce the Farseer heir and Fitz also proved himself as the cornerstone of the House Farseer (which all relates back to the original passage in RA).

Sorry, I'm rambling, but I LOVE this passage and all associated links in any of the books!! Angel

I don't mind about points...I just love that it gets me thinking! As for the other quotes, I have some strong feelings on when, where and who but I have to think of them some. I'd rather guess than check, to test myself. Smiling I'll be better at the game in Jun though, I think, when life slows down a little and my brain doesn't hurt so much. It all gets a bit too 'tricksy' when that happens. Big Grin

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - 'thul - Feb-27-2011

The points are there mainly for convenience and fun... there's no true competition...

RE: RotE quote game...(spoilers all books) - Farseer - Feb-27-2011

What?! No gold cup??!! Uhhuh Big Grin